• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Bird to be Identified - Langstone Harbour, Hampshire, UK (1 Viewer)

Jamkat

Rob R
Hi, I think this is a juvenile Herring Gull, but I am not sure, can anybody help please.?

I took it on Friday 26th February.

Attachments

• herring gull - juvenile.jpg
    herring gull - juvenile.jpg
    296.5 KB · Views: 59
Oh, this looks like a 2 cy Yellow Legged Gull to me.
Conclusion? Gull experts, please jump in! (For example, because I have learned that (at least some) 2 cy YLG can be hard to seperate from 2 cy LBBG in winter/early spring, even by experienced people)

Oh, this looks like a 2 cy Yellow Legged Gull to me.
Conclusion? Gull experts, please jump in! (For example, because I have learned that (at least some) 2 cy YLG can be hard to seperate from 2 cy LBBG in winter/early spring, even by experienced people)
Hi Alexander. Thanks again. What do you mean by 2 cy?
Regards

in 1st and 2nd cycle (1cy-3cy) gulls, underwing shots often don't reveal enough details for a secure identification, like in this bird. that said, it does not look like a YLG on overall impression: weak bill (although all black), apparently stocky body and broad looking wings, rather plain dark brown underwing and well patterend/smudged underparts. although hard to judge from underneath, inner primaries also look to be rather pale (inclusive outer webs), so i'd call this bird a probable Herrring Gull.
Jamkat: cy stands for 'calendar year', it is an ageing term.

Hi Alexander. Thanks again. What do you mean by 2 cy?
Regards
<hello,
its a firdst winter bird, thst means it was hatched the year before.

In other words:
This Gull was hatched in 2021 and was then in its first calenderyear (1 cy)
In 2021 it is in its 2 calenderyear (2 cy)

And: thank you Lou! Much for me to learn!

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back