• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Bird Watcher vs Birder (1 Viewer)

Ravens and eagles both seem to exist in the "social animal" category along with humans and wolves.
As someone who has seen and heard lots of all three, eagles, ravens and wolves, I always find it fascinating to hear them in real life and how they sound completely different in cinema.

Sure, wolves howl when they’re trying to gather from distance, but it changes to a more abrupt yipping sound that people tend to associate with coyotes as they get closer together, and then suddenly, silence.

Ravens too, caw at times, but if you only see them on tv then you’d think that was the only sound they were capable of. Contrarily, they often make baby-like gibberish sounds, as well as an endless array of vocalizations, including one of my personal favorites, the giant drop-of-water sound.
Then there’s my favorite raven story, which I read about at the library on Prince of Wales Island regarding the naming of Klawock, and how it came to be after the Tlingkits noticed that the ravens there made an uncommon cry; klawock.
Ridiculous! was my first thought, but a few days later in a bike ride in Klawock I heard it. Klawock………..klawok……..klawock.
A couple of decades later, after having paid close attention to ravens the entire time and over wide ranging exposure to ravens, I have never yet heard them make that sound any where else. Not even in the Prince of Wales communities of Hydaburg, Hollis, Coffman Cove or Craig. But they do in Klawock.

Eagles however, totally different. Anyone that has ever seen eagles on tv thinks that they scream. Never, ever, ever have I heard eagles accurately voiced in common media. The fake scream heard on tv is totally inferior to the actual chittering sound that they make and that I love so much.

All raven fans should try to go to Prince of Wales Island someday and hear the ravens in and around Klawock, and at the same time see some of the least shy eagles of anywhere else I’ve ever seen them, inclusive of the rest of Alaska.

Interesting to see an article on this very topic in the New York Times today - it's an article about a book that just came out....

After a Frantic Year, It’s Time for ‘Slow Birding’​

A new book borrows from the slow food movement to propose a more thoughtful, less competitive form of bird-watching.

Slow Birding: The Art and Science of Enjoying the Birds in Your Own Backyard​

but I will watch little birds who have names I don't know,
A birder could be defined as someone who could not cope with the not knowing and would have to know. Many birders are not obsessed with lists, and of course do watch birds for the sheer pleasure of it, but it's in the 'job description' to know, or work out, what the bird is they're watching for the pleasure of it..

A birder could be defined as someone who could not cope with the not knowing and would have to know. Many birders are not obsessed with lists, and of course do watch birds for the sheer pleasure of it, but it's in the 'job description' to know, or work out, what the bird is they're watching for the pleasure of it..
I've just always enjoyed being able to view mountains, trees, islands, small birds, and yes, even people, none of whose names I know, and the ones that interest me the most, I'll try to ask when I get the chance. Hence, bald eagles, ravens, black capped chickadees...

I've just always enjoyed being able to view mountains, trees, islands, small birds, and yes, even people, none of whose names I know, and the ones that interest me the most, I'll try to ask when I get the chance. Hence, bald eagles, ravens, black capped chickadees...
Nothing wrong with that. It just the label birder wouldn't fit. Birdwatcher would.

In his Little Black Bird Book Bill Oddie devotes a whole chapter to bird-watcher/birder/twitcher.

The Google Books preview, by chance, features most of that chapter.

Birder bird watching bird watcher birdo birds beets bears battlestar galactictica binoculars his her him she her his......

I have never been so confused in my whole life

I like binocularER...... ya that what I will go by, perfect

As someone who has seen and heard lots of all three, eagles, ravens and wolves, I always find it fascinating to hear them in real life and how they sound completely different in cinema.

Sure, wolves howl when they’re trying to gather from distance, but it changes to a more abrupt yipping sound that people tend to associate with coyotes as they get closer together, and then suddenly, silence.

Ravens too, caw at times, but if you only see them on tv then you’d think that was the only sound they were capable of. Contrarily, they often make baby-like gibberish sounds, as well as an endless array of vocalizations, including one of my personal favorites, the giant drop-of-water sound.
Then there’s my favorite raven story, which I read about at the library on Prince of Wales Island regarding the naming of Klawock, and how it came to be after the Tlingkits noticed that the ravens there made an uncommon cry; klawock.
Ridiculous! was my first thought, but a few days later in a bike ride in Klawock I heard it. Klawock………..klawok……..klawock.
A couple of decades later, after having paid close attention to ravens the entire time and over wide ranging exposure to ravens, I have never yet heard them make that sound any where else. Not even in the Prince of Wales communities of Hydaburg, Hollis, Coffman Cove or Craig. But they do in Klawock.

Eagles however, totally different. Anyone that has ever seen eagles on tv thinks that they scream. Never, ever, ever have I heard eagles accurately voiced in common media. The fake scream heard on tv is totally inferior to the actual chittering sound that they make and that I love so much.

All raven fans should try to go to Prince of Wales Island someday and hear the ravens in and around Klawock, and at the same time see some of the least shy eagles of anywhere else I’ve ever seen them, inclusive of the rest of Alaska.
Perchance like ML403658671 Common Raven Macaulay Library (including the drop-of-water sound)? Listening to recordings of various Alaskan birds from XC and the Macaulay Library is surprisingly relaxing since they only have flowing water, wind or nothing at all in the background (I particularly like the lonely song of Hermit Thrush).

I think "Birder" is a surprisingly new term when applied to watching, not hunting, birds. Pretty much unknown term back in the 70s in my locality.

I'd be interested in what a similar thread on the definition of 'twitcher' would come up with.

On that note, but somewhat tangentially, I was reading about a UK podcast group who are Parkinsons disease sufferers. The group comprises a number of well known broadcasters and other professionals - they call themselves the Movers and Shakers. I find it humbling when people suffering from illness employ such dark humour, as a mark of defiance.

Sorry for going off topic.

I'm in US, so the term 'twitcher' doesn't get used much. I've always assumed it's a Brit term and referes to birders who are mostly obsessed with rare/notable sightings and often jump in the car to drive hours for a stake out. Most birders (I know) will get wound up over rare/notable birds, but it's not the focus of their birding. One is just about seeing the season's birds and observing nature vs. ticking lists? No value judgement intended,... just assume a diff interest/focus? Some folks play sports for recreation/health, some to compete...etc.

I wouldn’t classify myself as a twitcher, although I’m happy to travel to see a first class bird (Eleonora's Falcon, Black-browsed Albatross, etc.)
It’s commonly thought that British twitchers only chase rare birds. For some of them, that is true.
However, there are equally those who work their local patch, perform surveys or do ringing and other less extreme birding activities.
Played competitive rugby into my 50s. Sport, it’s for winning and not just taking part.

I'm in US, so the term 'twitcher' doesn't get used much. I've always assumed it's a Brit term and referes to birders who are mostly obsessed with rare/notable sightings and often jump in the car to drive hours for a stake out. Most birders (I know) will get wound up over rare/notable birds, but it's not the focus of their birding. One is just about seeing the season's birds and observing nature vs. ticking lists? No value judgement intended,... just assume a diff interest/focus? Some folks play sports for recreation/health, some to compete...etc.
Also an American Birder, but I've definitely seen twitcher and twitching used pretty often in birding circles. I ultimately just think it's over who you interact with. My own circle is much more number heavy and competitive- which has led me to fly to Texas January 2022 to see a Bat Falcon that showed up in order to compete.

A fairly common quote from Shakespeare (The Merry Wives of Windsor):

She laments sir... her husband goes this morning a-birding.

That was surely the 2nd of Webster's meanings.

...to which "fowler" and "fowling" are closely allied. As Webster says, especially for market, but there was a German king called Henry the Fowler whom I rather doubt needed to catch birds for the market...

In British English "birdwatching" tends to denote a more casual approach to watching birds than "birding", which is particularly associated with activities such as listing, twitching etc. My own focus is trying to observe interesting activity from only a couple of specific species - but the focused observation of those species has made me more aware of all the other things one sees during the long periods of waiting, and I now attempt to identify everything that pops up, keep notes of more unusual species seen at particular locations, etc.

I don't allow myself to add a new bird on my list unless I have a photograph of it. ;)

You're too hard on yourself. The early explorers and naturalists didn't have cameras. Did Janszoon keep quiet that he discovered Australia, because he didn't have a camera?

I guess the early birders shot their sightings and had them stuffed as proof of their discoveries, but while I admire your obvious diligence, I'm not sure that 'digital shooting' is necessary as proof of a sighting. (And what if your camera fails?)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back