• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Bird wishlist for 2021 (1 Viewer)

I am planning on returning to Costa Rica next December for my next trip for a few pragmatic reasons relating to forecasted virus control, stable tourist access etc with some excellent birding.

As it is my second visit I already have a few of the star birds such as Bare-necked Umbrellabird, Resplendent Quetzal and Black-cheeked Ant-Tanager (although my last time was my first neotropical experience as a teenager so not quite as comprehensive a list as usual). My biggest targets will be a mix of regional specialities with a few more widespread dips I would like to catch up with:

10. Lesser Ground-cuckoo
9. Sunbittern
8. Snowcap
7. Agami Heron
6. Azure-hooded Jay
5. Mangrove Hummingbird
4. Baird’s Trogon
3. Bare-shanked Screech-Owl
2. Red-fronted Parrotlet
1. Unspotted Saw-whet Owl

I am planning on returning to Costa Rica next December for my next trip for a few pragmatic reasons relating to forecasted virus control, stable tourist access etc with some excellent birding.

As it is my second visit I already have a few of the star birds such as Bare-necked Umbrellabird, Resplendent Quetzal and Black-cheeked Ant-Tanager (although my last time was my first neotropical experience as a teenager so not quite as comprehensive a list as usual). My biggest targets will be a mix of regional specialities with a few more widespread dips I would like to catch up with:

10. Lesser Ground-cuckoo
9. Sunbittern
8. Snowcap
7. Agami Heron
6. Azure-hooded Jay
5. Mangrove Hummingbird
4. Baird’s Trogon
3. Bare-shanked Screech-Owl
2. Red-fronted Parrotlet
1. Unspotted Saw-whet Owl
Depending on where you go and how much time you have, I'd say you have a pretty good chance for some like 10, 9, 8 and 5. But others like 7 and 1 might be easier in other parts of their range, especially for 1 since it is so rare to begin with in Costa Rica. But best of luck, here's to you catching up with some great birds in Costa Rica. Also amazing kudos to you with having Bare-necked Umbrellabird in your life list, I love cotingas but I think that one is among the few I will not hold my breath to catch up with.

I saw a red necked nightjar last year, would definitely like to have that experience again. Same for little owl, I just can't find them!
Definitely would like to confidently ID a pallid swift, but I just can't tell the difference between pallid and common.

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back