• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Birdalert Pro - app - questions / comments (1 Viewer)

leonardo_simon

I've just spent a few days in Norfolk & tested out the Rare Bird Alert "Bird alert pro" app on my iPhone SE (using iOS 12.4.1)

I have a few questions & comments about the app -- I used a 5 day free trial.

1) although I got notifications (e.g. badges) the actual sighting didn't automatically download -- requiring me to manually download the messages. Is there a way for the app to automatically download the notifications? This was mildly frustrating at times when signal was patchy (as I'm not on the phone all the time so sometimes it was a while later when I checked, in a spot with poor signal). I couldn't find a setting within the app to automatically download the notifications

2) directions to the sighting --- the app would use apple maps to direct me to the sighting -- but wouldn't work with "car play" (got the message "turn by turn directions not available"). Can the app be set to work with google maps instead? again I couldn't find such a setting

3) why are ordnance survey grid references used? or more relevant --- why not use GPS co-ordinates -- which are much more convenient with sat navs, and other digital mapping applications etc.

Overall, my impression was that this app is mildly useful but way out of date in terms of technology devlopment -- the information could be presented in a much better way.

So my final question -- is there a better app that presents the same information in a more user-friendly way?

thanks

Last edited:
I've just spent a few days in Norfolk & tested out the Rare Bird Alert "Bird alert pro" app on my iPhone SE (using iOS 12.4.1)

I have a few questions & comments about the app -- I used a 5 day free trial.

1) although I got notifications (e.g. badges) the actual sighting didn't automatically download -- requiring me to manually download the messages. Is there a way for the app to automatically download the notifications? This was mildly frustrating at times when signal was patchy (as I'm not on the phone all the time so sometimes it was a while later when I checked, in a spot with poor signal). I couldn't find a setting within the app to automatically download the notifications

2) directions to the sighting --- the app would use apple maps to direct me to the sighting -- but wouldn't work with "car play" (got the message "turn by turn directions not available"). Can the app be set to work with google maps instead? again I couldn't find such a setting

3) why are ordnance survey grid references used? or more relevant --- why not use GPS co-ordinates -- which are much more convenient with sat navs, and other digital mapping applications etc.

Overall, my impression was that this app is mildly useful but way out of date in terms of technology devlopment -- the information could be presented in a much better way.

So my final question -- is there a better app that presents the same information in a more user-friendly way?

thanks

Try the birdguides App.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back