• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Birders and shooting (1 Viewer)

During this past hunting season, I cringed every time I heard a shooting and all I could think about was what poor animal died.

I’m wondering why this discussion is not against forum rules? (I understand if it is specifically in respect to the context of conservation but the OP is looking to see who partakes in hunting because they enjoy it.) Perhaps the rules have changed and threads about hunting are now OK - still some of the comments are bound to cause upset - just waiting for someone to say they enjoy killing ducks -( I presume this is what posters mean by not ‘shooting animals’?)

Last edited:
Taxidermist

The Taxidermist uses all his skill trying to make the animal /bird that he is stuffing to look as lifelike and alive as possible.

If the creature had been left alone in the first place just how much more alive and lifelike did it look then?

regards
Merlin

I’m wondering why this discussion is not against forum rules? (I understand if it is specifically in respect to the context of conservation but the OP is looking to see who partakes in hunting because they enjoy it.) Perhaps the rules have changed and threads about hunting are now OK - still some of the comments are bound to cause upset - just waiting for someone to say they enjoy killing ducks -( I presume this is what posters mean by not ‘shooting animals’?)
The title quite clearly says shooting, not hunting: and shooting is a physical dexterity sport that challenges the participant to improve continuously. I'm perfectly happy to do it.

As an omnivore I have no objection to killing animals for food and therefore, provided that conservation is paramount, which means proper scientific quotas, seasons to avoid breeding behaviour, follow-up of all wounded creatures etc, no real problem - but the appropriate criteria are so often not met.....

Rats in my garden face full spectrum warfare and that includes an appropriately powerful air rifle as well as properly deployed traps and poison. The rifle requires practice to avoid skill fade. I enjoy the practice but undertake the killing with reluctance, though with maximum concentration.

John

Just remember that to our cousins over the pond "hunting" is what the British call "shooting".
I really love shooting, I shot for Devon, at paper targets!! I am also happy to shoot something such as pheasant or partridge etc., so as to eat it. I don't see any problem in that.

The problem with shooting game birds is not the act per se - as long as they are eaten - but in the damage that is done by releasing huge numbers of non-native gamebirds into the environment and the huge amount of ecological damage caused by managing grouse moors.

The problem with shooting game birds is not the act per se - as long as they are eaten - but in the damage that is done by releasing huge numbers of non-native gamebirds into the environment and the huge amount of ecological damage caused by managing grouse moors.
Here in the US non-native Ring-necked Pheasants are a huge threat to the (very small) prairie chicken populations.

The title quite clearly says shooting, not hunting
The OP clearly is referring to the enjoyment of shooting - ‘shooting’ here is being taken as synonymous with ‘hunting’ - ie the killing of wildfowl, game birds etc
Can birders enjoy shooting?

Thus equates the hobby of birding with the hobby of shooting - this is not the same as asking whether or not birders agree with shooting for conservation purposes. There is no mention of ‘conservation’ in the OP - although many of the contributions from people have been referenced to conservation. I work with people who have to carry out predation control in large areas - none of them enjoy it but all agree it is necessary. However, the thread title is ‘Birders and Shooting’ the question is ‘do birders enjoy it?’ not ‘is it justifiable on the grounds of conservation?’

I hunted and fished for years. White-tailed Deer, Grouse and rabbit. I also raised sheep, pigs and rabbits for meat. The whole time that I was doing those things, I was also running bird feeders and was birding. I have several birder friends who are also hunting friends. I believe that whether a individual hunts or not is often related to their environment aand their culture. One of my son's foster sons was just taken into the wilderness by an uncle to kill his first caribou. I think the boy is 15 and is First Nations. He also has an interest in birds They live in the Yukon. When we lived in Haida Gwaii, everyone hunted. It was part of our way of life in an isolated place with very little entertainment available. Hunting organizations like Ducks Unlimited have do tremendous work in protecting and developing wet lands. Without their efforts there would be alot fewer ducks in the world. Personally, I gave up hunting fishing and raising livestock some years ago. I just don't want to hurt anything more.

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back