• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Birder's place-names (1 Viewer)

Paul Bright-Thomas

Landlocked birder, looking up
Birdguides today reported a couple of Caspian Gulls in Staffordshire at a site called Silverdale Colliery, with the specific location being a part of the site called "The Void".

This got me thinking that I'd like to hear about any locations for birding that won't be found on any map, the weirder the better, and named by birders if possible. Many of these might be sub-locations that help you find a specific part of a birding site.

Obviously, there will be many named after either regularly occurring birds, or sites where birds of legend were found or twitched. But what are some of the more unusual, amusing or inexplicable place names that we would use to specify a bird's location? If the place name's derivation is not obvious and you have an explanation, please include it.

I have a couple from my local patch - Redstart corner and the Narrows (part of the local lake). Both unimaginative but you know what they mean.

CB

There's a stand of trees in the middle of Thursley bog that is universally known as Pine Island, and the ridge at the far end of the boardwalk has been Shrike Hill for at least the last thirty years and that title is regularly used on RBA, usually to give directions to a Great Grey Shrike..... now there's a thing.

John

You have to go a long long way to beat Shite Lane (albeit that is its proper name I believe).

Obvious ones are Icky Ridge at Languard, Bobolink Field at Hengistbury and isnt there a Booted Gulley at Flamborough?

Last edited:
We've got a few local names on Hilbre for areas where good birds have been seen. Only Obs members know them as they're not official - Bluethroat Bramble, Buzzard Hill (Rough-legged Buzzard landed here), Gropper ridge (area of brambles, heather where Grasshopper Warblers often found in spring), Bluetail Cliffs (Red-flanked Bluetail). More in hope than anything else we have a Lancey Lane..........One day, one day.

You have to go a long long way to beat Shite Lane (albeit that is its proper name I believe).

Obvious ones are Icky Ridge at Languard, Bobolink Field at Hengistbury and isnt there a Booted Gulley at Flamborough?

There is also a Bobolink field by the Airport on St Mary's, where "Nowhere" is an official name to rival "The Void".

John

One of the bays at Carsington Water where I regularly go birding is called Brown Ale Bay. So called because when one of the first Tern rafts was put into place they borrowed a number of Brown Ale crates from the Miners Arms in Carsington village to place the Tern raft on.

Also at Carsington Water there's a field which is known as half moon field. But ever since witnessing an amorous couple last year it's now known as The Sh***ing Field.

Higgo's Pool on St Mary's - infamous as the place to see N Waterthrush. I think it's trying to officially be called Project Pool, not sure which will win through.

Its called Void for a reason there is flook all there :-O Although theres a lot of Staffs that could be called the same:-C

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back