• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Birdfair 2017 August 18th to August 20th (1 Viewer)

Doug.
I think that the two stage might be panning or static observer not objects looked at.

I was so fed up with the Bushnell I can't remember.

The Fujinons and Nikons I haven't tried. Apparently professional Fujinons were introduced in 1980 and are very expensive still. Also some take image intensifier alternate eyepieces.

I think that the most successful are the Canons.

Patudo.
If the captain of the USS Ronald Reagan wants to move the view, he just says port a little or starboard a little and they move the 100,000 ton vessel at his command.

I think that most Royal Navy ships use Zeiss Marine, but I don't know what other binoculars they use.

The Fujinons are used by helicopter observers with 28 volt supply I think.

Hi Binastro,

Just to clarify. In order to keep the subjects centred in the field of view, I was actually panning across the horizon/sky with the binoculars whilst I was following the planes and seagulls.

Cheers,

Doug......

If the captain of the USS Ronald Reagan wants to move the view, he just says port a little or starboard a little and they move the 100,000 ton vessel at his command.

Patently ridiculous (unless meant as a jest, in which case, my apologies). Given the array of electronic and visual gadgetry, deployed from multiple vessels, that would be sweeping the skies and seas for miles around a carrier battle group, if I had to make a guess, the good captain is probably using those binoculars to inspect flight deck operations. He'd know exactly what to look for, so limited field of view wouldn't be an issue, and the IS might be helpful given that heavy aircraft being catapulted off the deck would probably induce some vibration.

It was a jest.
Moving a 100,000 ton ship takes time. There is also a delay from the time of the command till the ship starts moving.
Sometimes it needs miles to move in a complete circle.

Unless one has the Finnish steerable Azipods that are used on some cruise ships and maybe others.

The catapult operators dial up the power needed depending on launch aircraft weight.

I took the left a little, right a little from an ancient British T.V. comedy series. Can't remember the name. Probably before your time.

I have seen Canon IS binoculars on quite a few and very varied T.V. programmes.

The Zeiss 20x60S was the main item and the clue on a U.S. crime series episode. CSI maybe.

The Fujinons stabilized are sometimes seen on police helicopter T.V. documentaries.

The 10x30 MK1 Canon was on a channel 5? comparison tech show compared with the 7x32 Super wide angle mirror/prism binoculars. The 7x32 scored highly for resolution when in fact it is not in the same league as the Canon IS.
Clearly these technical presenters know very little about binoculars.
The 7x32s instantly sold out because of the programme, never to be seen again. I had great difficulty getting mine. About 13 degree real field. But for me, with limited accommodation, frankly awful optically.

Last edited:
Moving a 100,000 ton ship takes time. There is also a delay from the time of the command till the ship starts moving.

Who'd ever have thunk it.

The Zeiss 20x60S was the main item and the clue on a U.S. crime series episode. CSI maybe.

The Fujinons stabilized are sometimes seen on police helicopter T.V. documentaries.

i have to admit the only binocular on screen that registered with me was the one Angelina Jolie was using in Mr and Mrs Smith. I don't suppose anyone could enlighten me on make and model? I wasn't an optics nerd then and too preoccupied with er... other details o:D

Reminds me of.

How many people does it take to change a light bulb?

Eleven.
One to hold the bulb and ten to turn the room around.

About half of all the movies and television programmes have at least one binocular shown.
Especially seen in thrillers.

Jesse Stone.
Probably Selleck's own 10x40 Zeiss classic.
Also the villain's image intensifier binos.

Battle of the River Plate? movie numerous military binoculars.

How far into Mr and Mrs Smith movie are binoculars shown?

What seems ludicrous to me is surveillance by 10x50 bright red coated binoculars in plain sight.

Patudo.
Mr and Mrs Smith Ch 30 freeview. Now.

38mins into movie, say 32mins without ads.

Military laser rangefinder.
2005?
Litton, Wild or many other possibilities.

I note that the left objective cover is firmly in place.

This could be because she doesn't know what she is doing or that there is a tiny hole in the cap of an image intensifier for daytime use.

Often in movies the supposed scene through the binocular is pure fiction, but could be real here.

In one of the Jason Bourne movies he uses a small 10x25? monocular? looking at a bridge and the supposed scene is from a laser rangefinder. Just made up movie stuff.

Often a figure eight is used when binocular image is circular. But how does one fill the whole screen? So I think O.K.

It was a jest.

Unless one has the Finnish steerable Azipods that are used on some cruise ships and maybe others.

The catapult operators dial up the power needed depending on launch aircraft weight.

I took the left a little, right a little from an ancient British T.V. comedy series. Can't remember the name. Probably before your time.

The 10x30 MK1 Canon was on a channel 5? comparison tech show compared with the 7x32 Super wide angle mirror/prism binoculars. The 7x32 scored highly for resolution when in fact it is not in the same league as the Canon IS.
Clearly these technical presenters know very little about binoculars.
The 7x32s instantly sold out because of the programme, never to be seen again. I had great difficulty getting mine. About 13 degree real field. But for me, with limited accommodation, frankly awful optically.

Just for the record: the 'right a little, left a little' was from The Golden Shot.
Might have been hosted by Bob Monkhouse, with (I believe) a girl called Anne Aston who played a dizzy blonde who couldn't add up.
Someone remotely would control a blindfolded operator with some kind of crossbow thing, trying to hit a target. I seem to also remember 'Bernie the Bolt' who loaded the device up. Or i'm making this up from some addled dream i had when i was about 16....

Looking at the Mr and Mrs Smith 'Binocular' again.

Both the left and centre front windows seem fully covered by tight fitting rubber caps.
I don't think this instrument would work with just the right front window functioning.

As with many movies it is probably just made up.

Stargate movie had the Rollei version of the British Avimo binocular. As identified by a Birdforum member.

The black Williamson 117A camera with Ross 6inch f/4.5 lens, for 5 inch film was painted and made up to look Sci Fi for a movie.
It is surprising how such an old camera can be made to look futuristic

I once visited a movie special effects man at his home and he had a complete miniature town that he had made
for a movie. It just looked incredible and an almost impossible task.

P.S.
Jesse Stone.
Innocents lost (2011).
Image intensifier binocular - Valery.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back