• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Birdguides (1 Viewer)

Evan Atkinson

Always finding a way to go off topic...
United Kingdom
Hey all, I’m not sure why but I can’t see any of the reports I’m making. For example I posted that at least 2,500 Cormorants flew inland from the NE and at least 20% were tagged. This was seen from reculver country park. I had very good signal and it still isn’t there. I’m sure this would class as a “notable sighting” as well so I’m not sure why it isn’t showing up. Any help greatly appreciated.

Ev

Maybe they take the view that, if a species is common, nothing it does can be interesting? You would need to ask them.
It’s intriguing though because there were notable sightings of cormorants where there were 2,000 birds in 2020 however I understand that they could class 3,000 as notable and above

Back in 2000 Birdguides were putting out loads of reports that would normally not get a mention due to people being limited by Covid restrictions and not sending in the usual types of records.
Cormorants don't normally get reported unless they are very small or have two crests, even when there are thousands.

I’m having the same issues again. I reported a fire crest in Aira Force yesterday that I had seen on the 15th February and I just reported a little gull that has been (weirdly) with some black headed gulls at my school and neither of them have piped up. Checked the website and reloaded app multiple times but to no avail. Anyone know why my reports aren’t popping up?

Update: the little gull has popped up now, maybe I just needed to wait a little? But I’m still confused as to why the fiercest hasn’t popped up when they get reported in Cumbria all the time.

Update: the little gull has popped up now, maybe I just needed to wait a little? But I’m still confused as to why the fiercest hasn’t popped up when they get reported in Cumbria all the time.
It may be if you have only just started to report things that they are checking the accuracy of the sightings, if they don't know you or your abilities if you are new to it, they may wait until another birder confirms the sighting before putting it out, once they have done it a few times and confirm the accuracy of your sightings no doubt they will put things straight on. I'm not sure that's how it works but if I was doing it that's what I would do. Obviously people may travel to see your reports and if they turn out to be wrong birdguides would soon lose its reputation. Obviously would apply to all new birders not just you!

Cheers

It also appears the little gull is not actually a little gull!!! It is a black-headed gull with very little black on the outer primaries which I missed when I was on my break and looking at the bird. I have since corrected myself and reported the previous report as erroneous.

I honestly hate being so complaintive (not a word) but now I can see my reports but it only says the county name such as London or Northfolk, and I’m not able to view details. Is this happening to anyone else?

I honestly hate being so complaintive (not a word) but now I can see my reports but it only says the county name such as London or Northfolk, and I’m not able to view details. Is this happening to anyone else?
I wonder if the Firecrest one might be because they are a sensitive breeding species and BG won't disclose sites in the breeding season.

I've no idea, of course, if BG does have these restrictions in place.

If it stops giving details and just gives counties it often means it’s accidentally signed out

Firecrests don't get reported in Cumbria all the time, they are less than annual there.

I’ve uninstalled and reinstalled the app and it doesn’t show any details still so I’m not sure on what to do. I’ll contact the developers.

The developers at BirdGuides are super helpful. They may answer your other questions too…… if so would be interested in knowing their response
I'm currently waiting on a reply, they said it could be a couple days before they respond but I hope they are able to fix it.

So... I have just realised something incredibly stupid.., basically, I have realised that you have to pay to view sightings and their exact locations!! Now I had been using the free 30 day trial, so what needs to happen is I have to pay so I can view the location and details. I'm now 99% sure that is the reason why I couldn't see anything :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:.

I’m having the same issues again. I reported a fire crest in Aira Force yesterday that I had seen on the 15th February and I just reported a little gull that has been (weirdly) with some black headed gulls at my school and neither of them have piped up. Checked the website and reloaded app multiple times but to no avail. Anyone know why my reports aren’t popping up?
I hadn't read this properly but now I am confused why you would report a bird a few weeks late and then expect it to be published by a news service when you thought it was a species reported in the recording area all the time.

Anyway if you had a Firecrest at Aira Force I am sure the Cumbria Bird Club would welcome a description.

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back