• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Birding at Dalat on a budget (1 Viewer)

Hi Alphan

Researching a trip to Vietnam next March - can you give me details of the guide you mentioned at $50 per person for 2 days and which area was that covering? Was the guide one you would recommend?

Any other info on local guides you can recommend would be appreciated

Thanks Pash

A better guide would be the park guide from Cat Tien. He works as park guide and you can only book him from park hq. He also do freelance guiding to Dalat and a few other birding spots but you have to bring him from Cat Tien and cover all his daily expenses and his return to Cat Tien after your trip. Many birding tour companies also use him. He will be fully booked out during peak season. The other guides charges more but are not that experienced.

Ta Nung update.

I've been back now after many years. The place has now been fully transformed in one of those Dalat kitsch parks, where tourists take selfies in front of flowery heart shaped installations etc. Quite a horror compared to the splendid piece of nature it used to be.

But then, the birds are still there. I've seen the Crocias, Slaty-backed Forktail, Indochinese Green Magpie and plenty else (but the Orange-breasted Laughingthrush is gone here). People start to arrive in masses only from 9-10 am or so, when birding slows down anyway. So from 10, you can sit down with a coffee and switch to people watching.

Attachments

• P1480030.jpg
    P1480030.jpg
    331.1 KB · Views: 33
  • P1480032.jpg
    P1480032.jpg
    292 KB · Views: 32
Last edited:
Dalat - recent information!

Alphan,

I wonder how your recent trip went to Dalat? I am going there for 4 days in mid-June 2019 and with limited time and I want to maximize my chances of getting the endemics. Any tips would be appreciated,

John Kennedy

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back