• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Birding at Loch of Kinnordy (1 Viewer)

Good news indeed!! Thanks for getting that C.

Strange... thought Blue YD was a LoL bird? That's not "near Forfar"!!;)

Some nice birds again at Kinnordy Loch just now.

Bittern being seen regularly , especially near the lone pine tree out from the Gullery Hide.
Green-winged Teal, though this can be typically elusive at times.
I had two Iceland gulls after work today, alovely Adult bird and a 1st winter bird too.
And also had fantastic views of a family of Otters hunting along the reedbed outside the East Hide.
Beavers can often be seen too, especially later in the day.

Attachments

• IMG_5107.jpg
    IMG_5107.jpg
    51 KB · Views: 75
  • IMG_5178.jpg
    IMG_5178.jpg
    68.8 KB · Views: 91
Hummmmph!!! They know when you're going, Gus!!!;)

Last week there was hardly a gull in sight! And, although I spent a while at the East Hide (first time I've managed there for ages, not a sniff of any otters or beavers!!!)

Lovely pictures laddie.

Some more nice birds at the Loch today were a group of Brambling and a Short-eared Owl hunting at dusk.

Attachments

• IMG_5270.jpg
    IMG_5270.jpg
    45.4 KB · Views: 62
  • IMG_5244.jpg
    IMG_5244.jpg
    81.7 KB · Views: 68
Yeah.... we've an apartment overlooking the harbour, so should get some good sightings from there. I've been to, but not stayed in Oban before; north and south, of the town and been to Mull. So it'll be interesting to see what's possible from there.

Bitterns still being seen at the loch on a regular basis, also quite a lot of Lapwing and Oystercatchers roosting on the bogbean.
Curlews have appeared back this week and there are plenty of small birds around too including at least 5 Brambling, though they are quite flighty. Also quite a few Treecreepers here too.
There are still around 35 Whoopers here though it can be hard to spot them as they are feeding in the reedbeds at times.
At the moment the RSPB are building a raft with glass sides which I assume is for the Black-headed Gulls to nest on...unless Delia has asked for a platform to see the Bitterns up close from !.....;)

Attachments

• IMG_5919.jpg
    IMG_5919.jpg
    90.6 KB · Views: 112
Last edited:
Bitterns still being seen at the loch on a regular basis, also quite a lot of Lapwing and Oystercatchers roosting on the bogbean.
Curlews have appeared back this week and there are plenty of small birds around too including at least 5 Brambling, though they are quite flighty. Also quite a few Treecreepers here too.
There are still around 35 Whoopers here though it can be hard to spot them as they are feeding in the reedbeds at times.
At the moment the RSPB are building a raft with glass sides which I assume is for the Black-headed Gulls to nest on...unless Delia has asked for a platform to see the Bitterns up close from !.....;)

:-O Why didn't I think of that?!!

It would be good if the gulls can be encouraged to nest again, wouldn't it... noisy brutes though they are!! Struggling to remember when the last chicks were successfully fledged.

Not sure if I can manage tomorrow. Maybe, weather permitting!

That's a lovely Treecreeper picture Gus!

Lots to see at the loch just now, Marsh Harriers are back as are the Ospreys.
Still Whooper Swans about though the Bitterns haven't been seen for a week or two.
The feeder area is still attracting Brambling, Siskin, Tree Sparrows and plenty of Redwing around yet too.
I had several Sand Martins last weekend but they are still pretty thin on the ground.
More Shovelers appeared this week to join Mallard, Wigeon, Tufties, Gadwall, Teal and Goldeneye all dressed in their finest to impress their mates.
On the wader front there are Oystercatchers, Lapwing, Curlew and noisy Redshanks, a Ringed Plover was spotted earlier this week too. Won;t be long before other waders start moving through, which should be much better this year as there is some nice mudflats for them.

Attachments

• IMG_6869.jpg
    IMG_6869.jpg
    71 KB · Views: 132
  • IMG_7440.jpg
    IMG_7440.jpg
    79.3 KB · Views: 158
Great pictures there Gus.

It's great to know the Mh's are back too. Hopefully will be over again in the next few days.

Another lovely visit on Wednesday. Met up with Andy again. A lot of cars in the car park, so the reserve was quite busy with people.... and busy with birds too.

Marsh Harrier performed nicely, if distant. Oystercatchers and Redshank were at it, the Redshanks right in front of the hide. Ospreys made several visits, I learnt later there were four different birds, one of them was identified ....
AndrewG said:
has a green ring and looks like BF, this bird is 12 yrs old and was rung at Haddo in 2004

The feeders were very busy too. Mostly Chaffinch, of course, but Great, Blue and Coal Tits all came in, with several Tree Sparrows and 1 Siskin.

Attachments

• S0862364 Redshankbf.jpg
    S0862364 Redshankbf.jpg
    158.6 KB · Views: 100
  • S0493186 Ospreybf.jpg
    S0493186 Ospreybf.jpg
    83.3 KB · Views: 119
  • S0043015. Tree Sparrowbfjpg.jpg
    S0043015. Tree Sparrowbfjpg.jpg
    137.7 KB · Views: 98
  • S0233078 Siskinbf.jpg
    S0233078 Siskinbf.jpg
    149.8 KB · Views: 106
I was at Kinnordy on Sunday, late afternoon and had great views of both Marsh Harriers, Osprey, Sedge Warblers, Reed Bunting, Lapwing, Oycs and the Barn Owl, which kept popping its head from the box. My first time at Kinnordy for a while.

How lovely to hear from you again Darell!! It seems like you had a great day... we've tried to look after the place for you;)

I'm sunning myself in Oban just now (well I was, bit wet and misty at the moment)

I was at kinnordy today(not been for a while)nice to see the black headed gulls are sitting again,the water levels looks high (an osprey caught a fish just to the right of the gullery hide)but at the same time there looks to be more islands about,the feeders are still being stocked and a pair of siskins were looking really colourful feeding here,a pair of bullfinches/treesparrows and some long tailed tits were also feeding,shovelers were seen flying about a few times making their calls,1 male gadwall seen,a pair of wigeon were in front of the swamp hide,some great bird calls all along the paths

Attachments

• siskin.jpg
    siskin.jpg
    146.3 KB · Views: 92
  • treesp.jpg
    treesp.jpg
    134.5 KB · Views: 94
  • wigeon.jpg
    wigeon.jpg
    209.1 KB · Views: 93
The Marsh Harriers are back and gave a wonderful show for us yesterday.

Smew was seen.... before I got there of course. No sign of Osprey during my 2 hour visit.

Despite two decoys sitting on the nest raft, no Back-headed Gulls have shown any interest. I could only see two gulls on the bog bean.

Oystercatchers and Lapwings there in numbers and very vocal. Still a few Whoopers around, best views of them would be from the East Hide.

Lots of activity at the feeders, especially Siskin, Tree Sparrows and Chaffinch; with a single, very bossy Great Tit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back