• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Birding at Loch of Kinnordy (1 Viewer)

I was at Kinnordy this afternoon. Contractors seemed to have stopped for the day, so I managed to squeeze in.

Quite a few trees have been taken down, whether tidying up after falling or what I'm not sure. No feeders at the entrance path to the Gullery Hide.

Black-headed Gulls are attempting to nest as usual... I live in hopes. Picture shows one on what remains of the old raft.

The other picture is the notice in the Gullery Hide regarding the work that's going on. No time scale, so no idea when access might be available to the feeding station and the East Hide.

BF Kinnordy Foopath notice.jpgBF Black-headed Gull on raft.JPG

Kinnordy Loch Is a great Reserve,or at least It was when I was an Infrequent visitor 10 or so years ago.It often crossed my mind,that the RSPB did not do a great job of managing It.Perhaps because It Is not as busy and never brought any revenue Into the organisation,It was often overlooked.Just an opinion.

When I first started going there in the 1990's there was a full time warden, but he eventually went to Orkney (if I remember right). A girl replaced him for a few years.

Then it was reduced to summer residential wardens, who also looked after the Tay Reed Beds and Fowlsheugh. Now those areas are done by the staff at Loch Leven with a member coming to Kinnordy once a week I think.

Had a couple of hours here today, had 6 Ospreys hunting over the Loch at one point, it was quite quiet, a Water Rail flew past and half a dozen photographers managed to miss it completely, to busy blethering lol. Male Marsh Harrier busy hunting too, quite a lot of Swifts hawking insects in front of the car park hide, Swamp was quiet, didn't go in the other one, Yellowhammer singing along with Sedge Warbler, a few Black Headed Gulls and a lone Lapwing, not sure many waders are breeding here, seems Carrion Crows wiped out the eggs and the Otters ate the chicks the Crows missed. One Red Kite seen.
Redshank by tigerburnie, on Flickr

Thanks Burnie.... that's a shame the gulls and waders are struggling to breed there still. There's just not enough of them to defend the area is there.

Is the car park open now or is it still very restricted? When I last went you couldn't get along the path to the feeding station or East Hide.

Oh that's great. Thanks.

Though I think that may only be that phase, there's still the stretch from the East Hide to Kinnordy to be done I think (if I read the thing properly).

i was at kinnordy for an hour and a half on monday,no ospreys seen at that time but pics have been appearing on facebook,both male and female harriers were showing well plus a male blackcap was in the bushes near the boardwalk,plenty of activity at the feeders with a lot of youngsters about,tree sparrows and the 3 common tits were all on the feeders

Had my first ever visit to Loch of Kinnordy this morning and upon arrival at the carpark was met by Police Scotland’s Marine Unit who were having a morning out on the water. This was especially funny since I have recently been watching the TV series ‘Annika’ and was half hoping Nicola Walker to pop out of the van.

Anyway, as a newbie I didn’t know what to expect but what a wonderful visit it was. As I exited the car I was greeted with a cacophony of bird song. Upon entering the Gullery Hide within minutes I saw for the very first time marsh harriers (including two females fighting), whooper swans and a water rail. Thanks to the photographers present for highlighting them. Also got great close up views of several lapwing – what amazing colouring they have.

With the hide being rather busy I strolled down to the Swamp Hide taking in the birdsong spotting robins, blue tits, great tits, goldfinch and chaffinch all giving it laldy. I saw other small birds but couldn’t ID them. With the hide being deserted I was able to take a seat. Not knowing what hide protocol/etiquette is but with it being empty I cheekily opened up the coffee flask, unwrapped a Tunnock’s caramel wafer (other biscuit varieties available) and looked out over the sun-drenched water observing tufted ducks bobbing in the distance, a buzzard soaring over the water, the comings & goings of greylag geese and a reed bunting hopping about in the reeds. I always thought heaven was a cream tea with the sound of leather on willow (or if one plays against Crathie CC up at Balmoral it's a pie from Sheridans) but after this morning I could well be wrong!!

Oh it's great to know that the Marsh Harriers are back!!! Yeah... burnie is right try and get there regularly, as there's always something to see.

Did you find the feeding station between the Gullery Hide and the East Hide?

Not knowing what hide protocol/etiquette is but with it being empty I cheekily opened up the coffee flask, unwrapped a Tunnock’s caramel wafer (other biscuit varieties available)
The only thing you're not allowed to eat when, I'm there, is a bacon buttie (unless you get me one too that is!!!🫓

There was a board saying the footpath to the East Hide was closed so I didn't dare take it especially with the Police present.
Oh? Wonder what's going on there then. It was closed for ages last year, when they upgraded the path for walkers from Kirrie. hmmmm.

Great photos. I can now see why people have cameras and something I would love to try. Only problem is I'm in the market for a new piece of willow this season and the wife has said I can't have both :(.
Go on then I'll ask......................................piece of willow????................(cricket bat?)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back