• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Birding in Alicante Province (2 Viewers)

They breed on cliffs behind Alcoy but are visible all over (saw c100 from McDonald's car park a few years ago) . I enjoyed watching them cross over to Font Roja which is a great place to explore.

Last edited:
I'm afraid getting around the Yecla steppe area is a bit of a non-starter without a car - you could certainly get to Yecla itself by public transport but the 'interesting' area starts about 5kms to the north of the town and extends for some distance. The area is criss-crossed by minor roads and farm tracks, most of which are driveable, but you need to put in the miles (kilometres?) to do the area justice.

The Costa Blanca Bird Club site has directions for the Alcoy vultures.

Thanks for the info!
I went down to Alcoy and had amazing views of the vultures there. Thanks. They mostly stayed near Barranc del Sinc, but then started dispersing as I tried-and failed-to reach Montcabrer, gave up too soon. Definitely my best sightings of raptors, overshadows the white-tailed eagles two years ago.
As for golden eagles, I probably won't visit Yecla, but have seen a golden eagle in flight as I was on the bus to Alcoy going past Sierra del Maigmo. Probably will check out Sierra de las Aguilas, and the mountains near Sax, I think that's Maigmo as well.
Can Font Roja center be reached without a car? Are the Bonelli's eagles good there? Is there a good place for them reached by public transport or less than 10km walk?
In addition, can anyone advise me which is the better site for white-headed duck- Clot de Galvany or El Hondo?
Is there a good and reliable place for eagle owl, anywhere? I've heard that La Finca golf course has a pair.
Thanks!
Gleb

Attachments

• DSC07009.jpg
    DSC07009.jpg
    155.7 KB · Views: 23
  • DSC06985.jpg
    DSC06985.jpg
    84.2 KB · Views: 18
  • DSC06972.jpg
    DSC06972.jpg
    167.2 KB · Views: 17
  • DSC06973.jpg
    DSC06973.jpg
    388.7 KB · Views: 22
  • DSC06969.jpg
    DSC06969.jpg
    182.2 KB · Views: 19
Some migrants trickling through this week included Reed Warbler, Little Bittern and quite large numbers of Swallows and Sand Martins at Lagunas de Lo Monte Reserve

Yesterday (Friday) there were 4 Little Bitterns together for over an hour seen around the reeds and bushes on the Rio Segura 400 meters downstream from the N332 bridge. Easily seen from Calle Ingeneiro Juan Garcia alongside the river in Guardamar. A first for me, easily identified by cream coloration with black crown.

El Clot is monstrous now. there is a permanent whirlwind of little egrets in the skies and a glossy ibis on the big lagoon. Also on the big lagoon are black-winged stilts and night heron juveniles. On one of the smaller lagoons I saw a total of 8 recently introduced marbled teal. This may be the best site in the region for them. There were bee-eaters on the wing everywhere and three flamingos flew past.

Thanks for the info!
I went down to Alcoy and had amazing views of the vultures there. Thanks. They mostly stayed near Barranc del Sinc, but then started dispersing as I tried-and failed-to reach Montcabrer, gave up too soon. Definitely my best sightings of raptors, overshadows the white-tailed eagles two years ago.
As for golden eagles, I probably won't visit Yecla, but have seen a golden eagle in flight as I was on the bus to Alcoy going past Sierra del Maigmo. Probably will check out Sierra de las Aguilas, and the mountains near Sax, I think that's Maigmo as well.
Can Font Roja center be reached without a car? Are the Bonelli's eagles good there? Is there a good place for them reached by public transport or less than 10km walk?
In addition, can anyone advise me which is the better site for white-headed duck- Clot de Galvany or El Hondo?
Is there a good and reliable place for eagle owl, anywhere? I've heard that La Finca golf course has a pair.
Thanks!
Gleb
Hi Gleb, I’ve always found El Hondo reliable for White Headed Duck, specifically the lagoon on the right hand side as you walk to the first hide off the Vistabella Road. It’s just over a 5km walk through the reserve from the visitor centre. If you look at the reserve on Google maps it’s on the bottom right section. A great area for raptors too. Good luck.

Attachments

• E7AC9668-7923-4744-9913-70C78FD724A6.jpeg
    E7AC9668-7923-4744-9913-70C78FD724A6.jpeg
    400.1 KB · Views: 15
For Bonelli's Eagles, I found Sierra de Crevillente the easiest place to see them as they breed up there. I dont think non-driving is a goer to any of the upland areas tbh although you might be able to taxi up from Crevillente. I've also seen Bonelli's Eagle on the Vistabella road in winter and at Sierra Espuna in spring (along with Golden Eagle).

For Bonelli's Eagles, I found Sierra de Crevillente the easiest place to see them as they breed up there. I dont think non-driving is a goer to any of the upland areas tbh although you might be able to taxi up from Crevillente. I've also seen Bonelli's Eagle on the Vistabella road in winter and at Sierra Espuna in spring (along with Golden Eagle).
Been up the gorge a few days ago. Getting there is easy without a car provided you are prepared for the heat. But this is the worst time to see those eagles- they are best in February and September, I have heard. No wonder I failed.
Clot de Galvany yielded 3 white-headed ducks and 5 marbled ducks two days ago, as well as more common wetland birds.
Would anyone be willing to suggest a reliable roller and eagle-owl site for me?

Been up the gorge a few days ago. Getting there is easy without a car provided you are prepared for the heat. But this is the worst time to see those eagles- they are best in February and September, I have heard. No wonder I failed.
Clot de Galvany yielded 3 white-headed ducks and 5 marbled ducks two days ago, as well as more common wetland birds.
Would anyone be willing to suggest a reliable roller and eagle-owl site for me?
Try this, I asked previously but dipped for Roller.
Link

It’s a few years since I have birded El Hondo (we used to have an apartment in Quesada) but a reliable spot for Roller used to be just east of the North Gate to the reserve. Probably just one pair at that spot and they could be seen easily enough from the road.

It’s a few years since I have birded El Hondo (we used to have an apartment in Quesada) but a reliable spot for Roller used to be just east of the North Gate to the reserve. Probably just one pair at that spot and they could be seen easily enough from the road.
I always found the palm trees immediately north of North Gate to be reliable for Roller

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210706-223242_Maps.jpg
    Screenshot_20210706-223242_Maps.jpg
    643 KB · Views: 11
I'm just back from a trip specifically to see roller. I encountered no less than 5 of them at the Ermita de San Francisco, and got great views of them perching on the wires next to the ruins. One of them decided to perch right next to a hoopoe, and the other bird didn't mind it's company. Other birds included Iberian grey shrike (those seem to be everywhere I go), Iberian green woodpecker and 2 cattle egrets.
If there was a site that I would suggest to someone looking to see roller, it is here. But I might try the palm sites as well.
One other thing. I severely dislike the name 'roller' as it makes me think of something rolling around on the floor, and in no way does justice to what in my opinion is the 3rd most beautiful bird in Europe. I noticed I started calling it 'European coracias' more and more often.

I've just seen this. They used to breed in a palm by the football pitch near El Hondo at the beginning of the Vistabella Road as you head in from La Marina but its probably 8 years since I last saw them there so no idea if it is still a good location.

It could have been, although they looked identical, so unless juveniles look the same as adults it could be 3 other birds in addition to the pair.

In regards to Torrevieja, are monk parakeet still present at Los Balcones?

Today have been to Torrevieja, where I saw monk parakeet in the city and enjoyed photographing them for a while, and then encountered obviously escaped yellow-collared lovebird in Los Balcones!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back