• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Birding in Alicante Province (2 Viewers)

I'm booked to go in April. My first visit since 2019. Looking forward to returning to all my usual stop-offs, I wonder what has changed?

I had my week away last week. Fantastic. Firstly, Easter so everywhere was very busy. Secondly, after all the rain, it was all very green. (was eaten alive at El Hondo) Mostly a family visit but:
Local birds where I stayed,
Hoopoe, passing Osprey, Swifts, Swallows, Housemartins, Serins, Monk Parakeets
Campoamor, marshes by the viaduct
Loads of Marsh Frogs
Lo Monte,
Hides all ok. Grey Heron, Purple Heron, WH Duck, Serins, Little Grebes, Red Crested Pochard, Coots, Moorhens
Lo Pagan, roundabout
Colony of nesting Glossy Ibis and Cattle Egrets was busy. Avocets, BW Stilts, Flamingoes, Little Egrets, Coots, Moorhens. Hides in the observatory were closed.
La Mata
Hides all ok, Flamingoes, Avocets, Hoopoe, Kentish Plover, BW Stilts, Green Woodpecker, Stone Curlews. Some new gardens have been put in including a pond, Marsh Frogs
El Hondo
Amazing to see the new flood with viewing area, all hides ok, Glossy Ibis, BW Stilts, Little Grebes, Purple Swamphen, Squacco Heron*, Great Spotted Cuckoos*, Red Knobbed Coots,
Clot de Galvany
WOW! Massive new flood, with hides. Squacco Heron, Great Reed Warblers* Nightingale, Red Crested Pochard, Marbled Duck, Little Grebes, WH Duck, unknown snake species
Alcantarilla Air Base
Woodchat Shrike*

* Lifers

Last edited:
Clot de Galvany
WOW! Massive new flood, with hides. Squacco Heron, Great Reed Warblers* Nightingale, Red Crested Pochard, Marbled Duck, Little Grebes, WH Duck, unknown snake species
Alcantarilla Air Base
Woodchat Shrike*

* Lifers
I've seen Viperine Snake at El Clot; probably the most frequently encountered snake in wetlands in the region.

Recently returned from a trip to the area. Saw a fantastic array of birds, including some sightings that I will never forget.
Red-billed chough, Crevillente
Short-toed eagle, Crevillente, migrating juvenile hung in the wind perfectly overhead and rather close. Closer than the lip of the cliffs next to me. Also bumped into an adult in the El Hondo area.
Black kite, Crevillente. I'm sure that my mind is paying tricks on me, but it appeared to have a yellow bill
Bonelli's eagle, Crevillente. Distant views of soaring birds, followed by an incredibly close encounter at the top of the canyon
Roller, El Hondo. Perched on the side of the road and staring down everything that passed
Cuckoo, encountered no less than 5 times in the area
Great spotted cuckoo, very close views, but a controversial sighting. This occurred in a place which I'm keeping secret to avoid disturbance to them. Surprisingly, I did choose a person to share the site with, under the condition that they tell no-one about it, because the birds are very easy to flush. What happened next makes this the last time I have ever shared my personal locations with anyone.
Red-knobbed coot at El Hondo
Pratincole at El Hondo VC, 10 to 20 birds
Golden Eagle, Sierra Espuna. The exact location I'll keep to myself. What was amazing was having a pair soar and glide in front of me, then soaring nearly overhead. Absolutely monstrous views, easily my favourite sighting in my life
Griffon Vulture, Alcoy. The gorge, huge birds flying above, the classic I love to experience every time I visit
Montagu's harrier, lovely female and male pair in the vicinity of Torrevieja. As before, I'll keep the exact place to myself, because if this pair goes, I'm going to be really upset. The birds are actively nesting, and completely ignore humans, flying past within tens of meters, not blinking an eye, and speeding off to hunt in the distance.

Hope to do some more explorin' in the summer. Although I must admit my to-see list hasn't even been drafted yet!

I'll end this post with intrigue. Recently I encountered some scuttlebutt about fake news in the birdwatching community. Supposedly someone went rogue, did a few things he shouldn't have done, and so on and so forth. Some pointed fingers of scorn, arguing (in terrifyingly bad grammar) they knew it and it was all genuine. Others expressed doubt.

Mark was always an excellent person to talk to. Last year in April, me and him competed to see who could find a roller first in the area.
He gave advice on a lot of sites I ultimately ended up visiting.
Recently visited the mountains to the north of Crevillent, where I had a distant encounter with a golden eagle, and an exceptionally close encounter with a Bonelli's eagle

It may have already been covered here but I plan to visit Costa Blanca and in particular El Hondo during October. Never been before. Is this a good time to visit?

Also if you are there on a Saturday morning if you contact the centre before hand you can gain entry to the North Gate, which is only open between 08.30 and 11.30.
Sorry I don't have details with me.

As per the Costa Blanca Bird Club website:

"Visits can only be made on Saturday mornings between 8.30 and 11.30. You have to be there at 8.30 and you cannot leave until 11.30. Telephone 966 678 515 to book your place."

Try this email address [email protected]
They will require car registration and number of visitors. It is a great spot and there is a good bar/restaurant less than a kilometre away for coffee before tackling the main reserve.

Heading back to Torrevieja in early May. After the success of last year I have most of the places that I plan to hit sorted already.

However, can anybody advise if there’s any decent spots along the Alicante coast for reliably good views of Balearic Shearwater, please?

Heading back to Torrevieja in early May. After the success of last year I have most of the places that I plan to hit sorted already.

However, can anybody advise if there’s any decent spots along the Alicante coast for reliably good views of Balearic Shearwater, please?
I was there all of March two years ago and had plenty from Torrevieja itself (Cabo Cervera) - recorded on four dates, peak count 25 on 6/3/22. It was an exceptionally stormy month though.

We are currently staying up on the La Finca Golf Club in a rental property. Balearic Shearwater are currently being seen, in small numbers, off Guardamar Lighthouse/Faro de Guardamar. A male Surf Scoter has been at the site for c. two months but I was unlucky on my visit earlier in the week. Double figure counts of Razorbill are to be had plus easy enough sightings of Gannet, Slender-billed Gull and Audouin’s Gull. Recent sightings also include Common Scoter and European (Mediterranean) Storm Petrel, so a decent site.

With regard to La Finca Golf Course, does anyone have any further info on the Eagle Owl pair?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back