• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Birding in and around grassmere/Ambleside (1 Viewer)

Tony mc

Hi fellow birders my son just moved to Ambleside and works in Grassmere was wondering if any one can point me in the right direction of any good sites in and around these areas for birding. Me and the wife will be travelling over at least once a month cheers

The lakes themselves are always worth a scan, the Waterhead end of Windermere had a long tailed duck all last winter, and for a few winters a ring billed duck returned to Grasmere. They can pick up a fair bit in passage so they are always worth a look over.

Apart form the lakes there are no real "sit and watch" sites around there but there are plenty of shortish walks that take you through a variety of habitats. Skelwith Bridge to Elterwater and Ambleside up to High Sweden Bridge spring to mind. It is usually a case of having a pleasant walk in the countryside and see what birds you bump into.

Last edited:
The woods around High Close YHA (Low Wood, Red Bank Wood etc) are also worth a look around. In the summer they're excellent for singing wood warbler, redstart and pied flycatcher as well as other more common woodland species.

If you fancy a higher level walk, a wander up to Stickle Tarn in the spring can often reward with wheatears, peregrine and ring ouzel.

This time of year I've seen snow buntings at Pike of Stickle, Angle Tarn and Silver Howe, always nice to see them in an upland habitat. :)

I do a lot of birdwatching in South Cumbria.
There is a new website called birdsinsouthcumbria and the newly revamped Cumbria Bird Club website.
A lot of the best birdwatching around here are on the fringes of the Lake District.
My favourite areas are:Scout Scar,Flookburgh Marsh,Ulpha Meadows,Foulshaw Moss,Kentmere Valley,Bannisdale,Burnsbeck Moss,Wyndhammere,The Kent Estuary.
There are areas in most of these locations where the tourists and locals seldom visit so there is less disturbance than there is in some parts of the National Park.
See the 'birdsinsouthcumbria' website to get a flavour of what is around.
Contact me through the website if you want any more advice.:eat::eat::eat:

I do a lot of birdwatching in South Cumbria.
There is a new website called birdsinsouthcumbria and the newly revamped Cumbria Bird Club website.
A lot of the best birdwatching around here are on the fringes of the Lake District.
My favourite areas are:Scout Scar,Flookburgh Marsh,Ulpha Meadows,Foulshaw Moss,Kentmere Valley,Bannisdale,Burnsbeck Moss,Wyndhammere,The Kent Estuary.
There are areas in most of these locations where the tourists and locals seldom visit so there is less disturbance than there is in some parts of the National Park.
See the 'birdsinsouthcumbria' website to get a flavour of what is around.
Contact me through the website if you want any more advice.:eat::eat::eat:
I am in ambleside for a couple of days over Christmas. Is there any guide who could take me birdwatching one day.

Not aware of any birding guides that operate in the Lakes.

There are no real bird reserves near Ambleside where you can sit in a hide and watch. If you are based in Ambleside a walk up to High Sweden Bridge can be very pleasant and takes in a range of habitats.

Waterhead is great for scanning Windermere, it can pick up all sorts of birds in the winter and also is a good spot for otters. It is a short walk south of Ambleside proper. Some of the boat trips may be running out of Waterhead if you want to go out on the water.

Cumbria Bird Club has a sightings page, although a lot of the regular posters are based in the north of the county.

If you do Facebook there is a Cumbria Birding Group, one of the regular posters lives in Ambleside so there can be good info.

If you are driving and coming from the south then RSPB Leighton Moss is just off the M6, jn35.

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back