• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Birding in E Poland (1 Viewer)

It looks like it has started. Early spring is just around the corner. Few weeks earlier than usually…

I searched for its signs in both habitats- in the Forest and on the Marshes.

On the Marshes there was several hundreds of Greylag, White-fronted and Tundra Bean Geese. Amogst them I saw rare Pink-footed Goose (only 4th in my life). So, migration of Geese has begun.

The Forest was suprisingly loud as for this time of year. Woodpeckers start to drum, Nuthatches are very active as well as small passerines. During 10km walk I noticed many wolves droppings, some of there were really fresh. Owls were also vocal, mostly due to a fullmoon… I also had a bit of Bison safari ;) (see the attached picture)

Possible dates for this spring tours are presented there: http://wildlifeguide.pl/early-spring-tours-2020/

Each trip has a possibility to extend it to Belarus to observe Great Grey Owl.

Attachments

• 85153351_2510216452421960_177553716088406016_n-772x1030.jpg
    85153351_2510216452421960_177553716088406016_n-772x1030.jpg
    99.1 KB · Views: 33
At this time of year you have the best opportunity to see rare sedentary species of birds. Despite there are almost no warblers and migrants yet (apart from first Chiffchaffs), the forest is very loud in the morning! Woodpeckers (all species), Pygmy, Short-eared and Eagle Owls, Hazel Grouses, Nutcrackers and many other species are very active now.
In a next few months I will anounce dates of 2021 Early Spring tours, because as you can see it is amazing time of year!

A few more photos can be seen there: http://wildlifeguide.pl/blog/late-march-the-essence-of-the-forest/

Attachments

• P1020152.jpg
    P1020152.jpg
    343.1 KB · Views: 22
  • P1020172.jpg
    P1020172.jpg
    489.6 KB · Views: 25
  • these woodpeckers were seen in one place in one hour.jpg
    these woodpeckers were seen in one place in one hour.jpg
    208.3 KB · Views: 22
When April comes, you can see a little change in Nature. Woodpeckers start to limit their spontaneous activity only to morning hours, males of Pygmy Owls are not as vocal as their partners are sitting in the hole on the eggs or Greylag Geese are already swimming together with juveniles. I always catch myself thinking how fast March has passed…

But on the other hand more and more birds are coming back from winter grounds, dawn chorus sounds more diverse and enviroments starts to turn green.

And there is also a phenomenal wonder of Nature when males of Moor Frogs turns blue for a short, mating time and give specific sounds. Shallow parts of wet alder forests looks and sounds amazing then!

A few more photos (inlcuding birds ;) ) can be seen there: http://wildlifeguide.pl/blog/early-april-fantastic-natural-spectacle-of-blue-frogs/

Attachments

• P1030024.JPG
    P1030024.JPG
    247.2 KB · Views: 25
In early May you should be there to admire the wildlife of NE Poland. But unfortunately this spring it seems to be impossible… Hopefully the reopening of the borders will come sooner than later.

In your 2021 calendar already book spring holidays for visit to NE Poland!

A few more photos can be seen there: http://wildlifeguide.pl/blog/early-may/

Attachments

• P1040427.JPG
    P1040427.JPG
    117.3 KB · Views: 19
If you are thinking of coming to Poland to see as many lifers as possible, then middle and late May is the best time of year to do it!

Almost all migrating species has already arrived, including bright Bee-eater, shy warblers (Aquatic Warbler, Europe's rarest songbird, can be seen in the picture below), elusive crakes (Corn and Little), beautiful red-coloured Rosefinch and Red-breasted Flycatcher or nightingales like Trush Nightingale and Bluethroat.

A few more photos can be seen there: http://wildlifeguide.pl/blog/middle-and-late-may-all-migrants-are-already-there/

Attachments

• P1050033.JPG
    P1050033.JPG
    94.3 KB · Views: 19

Attachments

• P1050366.JPG
    P1050366.JPG
    129 KB · Views: 20
  • P1050546.JPG
    P1050546.JPG
    242.2 KB · Views: 18
After the summertime when I made a small break for butterflies (of which 150 species can be found in Poland!) it is a good time to come back to 'proper' wildlife ;)

Autumn is already there. And so it is rutting season for elks, red deers but as well a migration time for many bird species. At this time of year some sedentary ones (owls, woodpeckers) can also have a second peak of activity and often are easy to find. Here I present pictures of two - Greater Spotted Eagle and Spotted Nutcracker. Both are quite rare yet the eagle is globally threatened!

If you want to find some more pictures I made recently- come and visit my blog: http://wildlifeguide.pl/blog/ where is also a short photo-report from the visit in Bieszczady - Poland's wildest mountain range.

Attachments

• P1070512-1030x688.jpg
    P1070512-1030x688.jpg
    248 KB · Views: 12
  • P1070368-1030x688.jpg
    P1070368-1030x688.jpg
    25.6 KB · Views: 10
Hi Oliwier
a couple of months ago I was up near Gdansk on Sobieszewo Island and got the chance to visit Mewia Lacha. Apart from millions of jellyfish and a few sandpipers and ducks there was nothing there. I wanted to visit the main reserve at Ptasi Raj but there were constant storms.
I'm most annoyed I didn't get chance to see the moose or seals.
If you're ever in the SE of your country in the area the Łemkowie call home then head down into Pieniny National Park in Poland/Slovakia/Ukraine. I don't know if you've seen the film Wolf Mountains but you should check it out. Absolutely stunning. I live about 40 kilometres from there. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KxOqQ1mCvIs

Hi Oliwier
a couple of months ago I was up near Gdansk on Sobieszewo Island and got the chance to visit Mewia Lacha. Apart from millions of jellyfish and a few sandpipers and ducks there was nothing there. I wanted to visit the main reserve at Ptasi Raj but there were constant storms.
I'm most annoyed I didn't get chance to see the moose or seals.
If you're ever in the SE of your country in the area the Łemkowie call home then head down into Pieniny National Park in Poland/Slovakia/Ukraine. I don't know if you've seen the film Wolf Mountains but you should check it out. Absolutely stunning. I live about 40 kilometres from there. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KxOqQ1mCvIs
It's interesting, Mewia Lacha reserve is usually full of birds at anytime of the year. In which month did you visit the Coast?

If you search rarities on Baltic, it depends on wind. Whenever in autumn wind gains in strength and changes its direction to N or NE you can expect some siberian birds to be blown to the Baltic Coast.

And it happened last weekend on Hel Peninsula, one of the best wildlife spots during bird migration in Poland.

Several dozen birdwatchers were in the field looking for rarities on that days and it brought some spectacular observations for polish avifauna. There were record-breaking numbers of Dusky Warbler, Little Buntings, Palla’s Leaf Warblers, Parrot Crossbill, Siberian Chiffchaffs, Purple Sandpipers, Lapland Buntings and much more… Many of these species I was also able to observe- during the weekend I saw my five lifers :t:

I also attache a picture of the wolf I saw on a very foggy day in Białowieża Forest recently.

Attachments

• wolf.JPG
    wolf.JPG
    218.3 KB · Views: 14
  • palla's leaf warbler.jpg
    palla's leaf warbler.jpg
    187.7 KB · Views: 14
So far January is quite snowy (compared to what we got used to...) which is promising for upcoming breeding season!
After two years of draught on Biebrza Marshes current winter may improve hydrological conditions, which is beneficial for all waders and waterbirds breeding or resting in the valley. We realy keep our fingers crossed; just need this one-feet-deep snow to last for a few more weeks and to not thaw until mid February. For the primeval forest it will also be a momentary respite, especially for wetter habitats, like alder forest or generally decidous forest stands, transitive by foot in last springs...

A relatively short "Beast from the East" with almost -30 degrees Celcius on thermometers was a challenge for birds. They were gathering in feeding places - I counted 16 species in my bird feeder. It was visited by e.g. Redpolls, Tree Sparrows, Marsh Tits, Goldfinches or even Brambling!

A few more pictures can be found in my 2021 photoblog: https://wildlifeguide.pl/photoblog-2021/

Attachments

• jer.jpg
    jer.jpg
    771.6 KB · Views: 4
Woodpeckers are active now, and so are the owls. Especially for Pygmy Owl March is a month with the highest vocal acitivity throughout the year. In Białowieża Forest you can still find the spots where in early spring hearing two or sometimes even three males calling simultaneously is possible!

Attachments

• P1110668.jpg
    P1110668.jpg
    345.7 KB · Views: 4
  • P1110897.jpg
    P1110897.jpg
    420.2 KB · Views: 4
A peak season for birdwatchers has just started.
Almost all migrating species are already in the Białowieza Forest and Biebrza Marshes, including bright Citrine Wagtail, shy warblers (Aquatic, River, Icterine, Barred, Marsh and many more), elusive crakes (Corn and Little), beautiful red-coloured Rosefinch and Red-breasted Flycatcher or nightingales like Trush Nightingale and Bluethroat.

COVID restrictions in Poland are light now - hotels and restaurants are open, there is also no need of wearing masks outdoor.
If you are thinking of having a holidays, then come birding to NE Poland :) !

Attachments

• P1150081.JPG
    P1150081.JPG
    695.3 KB · Views: 8
  • P1150456.JPG
    P1150456.JPG
    486.2 KB · Views: 8
  • P1150614.JPG
    P1150614.JPG
    796.9 KB · Views: 7
  • P1150648.JPG
    P1150648.JPG
    271.5 KB · Views: 6
  • P1150692.JPG
    P1150692.JPG
    653.2 KB · Views: 7
  • P1150708.JPG
    P1150708.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 8
It is a time of hatching for young Pygmy Owls. The parents will be very active for the next 3 weeks collecting prey for juveniles.

Attachments

• P1150792.JPG
    P1150792.JPG
    949.4 KB · Views: 5
  • P1150768.JPG
    P1150768.JPG
    774 KB · Views: 5
June is usually a month with calm and sunny weather. And indeed it is this year. Marshes are full of water after wet spring but also full of birds - crakes, rails and warblers play noisy nightshows.

Attachments

• P1160086.JPG
    P1160086.JPG
    208.1 KB · Views: 4
Summertime is a good time to observe birds of prey like this Honey Buzzard or Lesser Spotted Eagle. A breeding season for most of the songbirds have finished and everything is slowing down now...
Autumn can be felt in the air, especially in the morning. But when it arrives, an amazing time for wildlife watching will start again. No crowds, autumnal vibes and pristine nature. Wonderful time of year. If you are a group of at least two then don’t hesitate and book a private 4-days-tour in Aug-Oct 2021: Autumn tour – WILDLIFE GUIDE Oliwier Myka - birdwatching & wildlife guiding in Poland

Attachments

• P1170411.JPG
    P1170411.JPG
    255.3 KB · Views: 6
  • P1170492.JPG
    P1170492.JPG
    204.7 KB · Views: 6
  • P1170520.JPG
    P1170520.JPG
    934.8 KB · Views: 5
  • P1170603.JPG
    P1170603.JPG
    814.4 KB · Views: 6
At the end of the year I had the opportunity to observe this beautiful Hawk Owl among equally impressive buckthorn bushes.
The bird probably arrived from Scandinavia and may try to overwinter in Knyszyn Forest region.

Attachments

• P1200427.JPG
    P1200427.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 7
Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back