• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

birding in Florida (1 Viewer)

What are your targets, Paco? Is this your first time birding in the USA? There are many, many choices depending on what you want to see or do.

Carlos

yes there are many great birding opportunities in Florida. Are you going to be in one part of Florida (the south? central?), or are you open to all of Florida?

yes there are many great birding opportunities in Florida. Are you going to be in one part of Florida (the south? central?), or are you open to all of Florida?
Hi , I will be a week in Florida birding only, no work. We are a group of 3 people from Spain. Never I have been to Florida before, but two years ago I was in New York 10 days with my family, but for tourism, but I got to see some bird species. The idea is to take a rental car and see as many species as possible, and visit most habitats. I especially like the waders. I want to prepare a target list, but for now it would be very broad.
Thanks a lot
Paco Chiclana

What are your targets, Paco? Is this your first time birding in the USA? There are many, many choices depending on what you want to see or do.

Carlos
Hi , I will be a week in Florida birding only, no work. We are a group of 3 people from Spain. Never I have been to Florida before, but two years ago I was in New York 10 days with my family, but for tourism, but I got to see some bird species. The idea is to take a rental car and see as many species as possible, and visit most habitats. I especially like the waders. I want to prepare a target list, but for now it would be very broad.
Thanks a lot

First of all, I recommend that you purchase the Falcon Guide to Birding Florida by Brian Rapoza, which gives you different birding circuits and a description of where specific species can be seen.

I highly recommend Green Cay Wetlands, Wakodahatchee Wetlands, and Loxahatchee NWR in Palm Beach county for waders and photography. Key bird species seen there in winter include all the typical herons and egrets (except Reddish), Wood Stork, Anhinga, Sora, Purple Gallinule, Limpkin, and Snail Kite (at Loxahatchee).

I can also highly recommend Everglades NP (for diversity and your best chance for an early Swallow-tailed Kite), the west coast of Florida (for shorebirds), Lucky Hammock (for raptors and wintering flycatchers such as Scissor-tailed and Least), C-357 Sparrow Fields (for sparrows, Dickcissel, White-tailed Kite), and some of the parks in Miami-Dade (for wintering warblers, vireos, tanagers, West Indian vagrants).

Further north, Merritt Island is excellent for waterfowl, more shorebirds, and Florida Scrub-Jay. Viera Wetlands is also excellent with more waterfowl and Crested Caracara.

Let us know if you have any other questions,

Carlos

Carlos

Lake Woodruff, Three Lakes Wildlife Refuge and DeLeon Springs State Park- all near Orlando- are great for raptors, including Bald Eagle.
Sandhill Cranes and waders there as well.

DeLeon Springs has a glass bottom boat tour and a charming place for breakfast called the Old Spanish Sugar Mill where you make your own pancakes at your table. Yes, there are beautiful springs there but no "fountain of youth". I always see Bald Eagles and tons of waders there.

Should you be in that area and want to see some manatees, go to Blue Springs State Park (not Blue Springs Park , which is a private area for swimming). There are scrub jays there as well. There are over 200 manatees there at the time of year you will be here. It is a beautiful example of what Florida once was.

I agree with Carlos-you must see some part of the Everglades-there is nothing else like it on earth. They are restoring the headwaters area near Kissimmee but unfortunately you are way ahead of them!

Last edited:
I agree with Carlos and Syd. If you can get far enough south, come to Green Cay/Wakodahatchee and the Everglades. If you don't want to go that far, Merritt Island and Viera wetlands are more middle-Florida, or St Marks National Wildlife refuge in the north.

Hi, in late February 2012 I will a week birding in Florida and would like to know what are the most interesting places to see. Any advice you can give me will be great.
Francisco Chiclana, spanish birder
http://westernandaluciabirding.blogspot.com
http://elblogdepacochiclana.blogspot.com

you can find more information here Paco

http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=198191

the Great Florida Birding trail website has a lot of great information that is free so check that out for sure.

I'm thinking of a similar trip to Les and Pacos at the same time. Would Dry Tortugas be worth the expense in February? They say winter is their slow season, so not sure if it worth including. How far in advance would I need to make a reservation?

Thanks

Pat

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back