• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Birding In Staffordshire (1 Viewer)

Book Review Corner Ch2

I too have a copy, about half-way through it. So far, I've found it to be an interesting read :smoke:. With a writing style full of verve, enthusiasm and creativity ;).

There's also a two-page section about it in July's Birdwatching magazine.

Thats right, a style like you see in "local" blogs ;)

Too late for Nightjars at Cannock Chase?

When I've been to look for Nightjars on The Chase in the past it has usually been earlier in June. We had a go on a rather soggy Thursday night last week but with no success, though the rain caused us to give up a little sooner than we normally would have. Any chance tomorrow night or am I too late?

Quick walk around the Uni reserve in Stoke.

2 whitethroat
3 chiffchaff
1 blackcap
1 garden warbler
1 willow warbler
1 skylark
Long tailed tit chick
2 house martins

and to save me posting again, my first large skipper of the year.

Adam

I wouldn't have thought it was too late, but a warm, calm, dry evening would give a much better chance. And of course, you wouldn't want to give away exact spots on here for obvious reasons, but you knew that anyway.

When I've been to look for Nightjars on The Chase in the past it has usually been earlier in June. We had a go on a rather soggy Thursday night last week but with no success, though the rain caused us to give up a little sooner than we normally would have. Any chance tomorrow night or am I too late?

To his credit though, looking through the list of year ticks at the end, he had some good spots and I expect his initials to appear quite often in the 2011 annual report ;).

You can tell your luck is in when finding Honey Buzzard and Hen Harrier, in SE Staffs, in June, within a few days of each other. Wish I had luck like that, I'm looking in the wrong places I think.............

Thats right, a style like you see in "local" blogs ;)

Highest count of 20 swifts over the estate in Sandyford tonight. Difficult to get a 100% accurate count of these fast flyers and with things in the way (houses, trees, etc), so might well have been a few more.

Adam

Highest count of 20 swifts over the estate in Sandyford tonight. Difficult to get a 100% accurate count of these fast flyers and with things in the way (houses, trees, etc), so might well have been a few more.

Adam

There was a steady movement of swifts this morning Adam over Sprinkwood Weston coyney this morning with at least 50+ birds heading south , col

I wouldn't have thought it was too late, but a warm, calm, dry evening would give a much better chance. And of course, you wouldn't want to give away exact spots on here for obvious reasons, but you knew that anyway.

Thanks Richard

I've always been fortunate since I first saw Nightjars in about 1995, though we don't go every year. An evening there always has the possibility of something interesting and despite the lack of goatsuckers we managed 5 mammal species and an amphibian without trying too hard as well as a couple of Woodcocks.

We'd pencilled in tomorrow (tonight wasn't possible) but the forecast is looking less promising now. The weekend is spoken for so we might just have a go anyway.

There was a steady movement of swifts this morning Adam over Sprinkwood Weston coyney this morning with at least 50+ birds heading south , col

I think the ones I had are a still part of the local breeding colony, although I guess the could just club together to roost as they are passing through. I read somewhere that things (think the article focused mainly on waders) are already moving back through, and every year I think it seems early. I really should write things down so I know if things are early/late.

Adam

Male trapped and ringed last night and three others seen (not by me!) so they are still performing. Like has already been said can't give any sight details but if you get the chance you should connect.

We did, thanks. We were part of the group that saw the three. Oddly enough they were at the exact spot where we spent some time looking (and listening) last Thursday but with much better conditions last night our luck was in. Heard LE Owl on the way back to the car so a pretty good evening all in all.

No sign of buzzard chicks (two) today on the the nest over on parkhall, the chicks are in full feather this photo was taken last friday.
stusmoths14004.jpg

Did see the female fly of 30yds away, I walked some distance away and female returned to same spot, hope they are ok after yesterdays storms.
Stu

Last edited:
Two odd sightings over the weekend... Park Hall... A bright yellow parakeet type bird (obviously an escapee) and Tittesworth Conservation Pool I'm guessing at a hybrid goose. Smaller than a canada goose with red legs, dark plumage and a white forehead.

Mandarin ducks

A Mandarin was seen yesterday with a red plastic ring on Rode Pool,Rode Heath,Cheshire.
Does any one know who might be ringing Mandarins.

Great news story coming up on Radio Stoke at 5:50 today, to do with Coombes and something a little special we are going to be involved with in the coming weeks. Have a listen, and hopefully come and pay us a visit to see our amazing new residents.

Adam

For those of you who missed the interview on Radio Stoke, RSPB Coombes Valley now has live footage streaming into 2 screens in the visitor center, directly from a barn owl box!! These are running for your viewing pleasure 9-5 everyday.

On Thursdays, Saturdays and Sundays (starting from next Thursday) you can come along and dissect owl pellets, partake other activities, and get some more info from the center staff. This runs from 10-4 and are free to attend.

On several Saturdays (dates to be confirmed) there will be dusk guided walks. These will look at moths, bats, possibly woodcocks, and hopefully barn owls. There will be a charge for the guided walks, and booking looks like it is going to be essential (more details to follow as they are released).

We would like to ask visitors to consider the level of disturbance they cause to the birds, as well as the law regarding disturbing and photographing schedule 1 birds near the nest site (both are illegal without the appropriate license/permission).

Hope you come and enjoy the birds soon :t:

Adam

Peregrine over Gailey this afternoon. Also, Common Terns up to 19.

The family of Spot Flys including 2 ads and 3 juvs still showing well by the chimney at the end of the causeway.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back