• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Birding In The Outer Hebrides (2 Viewers)

I’m back on holiday in Benbecula in The Outer Hebrides and having a good time and the birds have been amazing.
Birds I’ve seen whilst on The Outer Hebrides
Blackbird
Collared Dove
Oystercatcher
Golden Eagle
Heron
Graylag Goose
Short Eared Owl
Skylark
Heard
Corncrake
Fantastic place been a couple of times, head up the Committee Road on North Uist for Eagles, Hen Harriers and Owls and Balranoid is a special place as well!! Good Luck.

How do you arrange a trip to the outer Hebrides? What are the ferry companies who serve there?

I don’t imagine there are many Hebridean hotels on Trivago so how do you find accommodation?

I’d love a few days birding there but totally unsure how to organise such a trip.

How do you arrange a trip to the outer Hebrides? What are the ferry companies who serve there?

I don’t imagine there are many Hebridean hotels on Trivago so how do you find accommodation?

I’d love a few days birding there but totally unsure how to organise such a trip.
There are plenty of Hebrides options on Trivago, Booking.com etc. A bigger issue given birders are often frugal is cost.

Calmac operate 5 ferry routes from various bits of mainland Scotland to the Western Isles.

You can fly to Barra, Benbecula and Stornoway.

There are all manner of tourist accommodation available from campsites to hotels. There are buses, but you do really need a car to get about.

There are plenty of Hebrides options on Trivago, Booking.com etc. A bigger issue given birders are often frugal is cost.
I’ve just had a look and whilst I wouldn’t say there’s plenty of options there are some. But given it’s a very rural and isolated place that is of course to be expected. Given the lack of options I guess some of the prices are to be expected.

Even if you were to book into some of the cheaper options though, by the time ferry/travel up there/sustaining yourself with food whilst in the area I wouldn’t imagine to be getting much change from a grand for a a 4 day break!

Certainly not cheap! But would it be worth it?

I’ve just had a look and whilst I wouldn’t say there’s plenty of options there are some. But given it’s a very rural and isolated place that is of course to be expected. Given the lack of options I guess some of the prices are to be expected.

Even if you were to book into some of the cheaper options though, by the time ferry/travel up there/sustaining yourself with food whilst in the area I wouldn’t imagine to be getting much change from a grand for a a 4 day break!

If you're going for a four-day break leave the wife at home and sleep in the car, lulled into dreamland by the metronomic Corncrakes and fluting Curlews. Wildlife from waking to sleeping.

John

I found 40 on trivago. Not Blackpool or similar I guess but I'd still say plenty. Probably depends on selected dates.

I’m back home from a great 2 week holiday on Benbecula in The Outer Hebrides. I had a great holiday and saw some good birds though I felt it was quieter this year especially with Lapwings usually see them a lot but they were no where to be seen until I eventually saw them on my last 2 days before going home but anyhoo here are the list of birds I saw.

Blackbird
Collared Dove
Oystercatcher
Golden Eagle
Heron
Graylag Goose
Short Eared Owl
Skylark
Lapwing
Buzzard
Curlew
Heard
Corncrake

My wife and I spent a week on the Uists in June this year, saw 73 species. I found accommodation slightly cheaper than mainland Scotland, but when you factor in the ferry it comes in about the same. There are lots of pod style wooden tent things, including some next to RSPB Balranald.

Bird-wise I find the Uists more productive than Harris and Lewis. You can get Stornoway black pudding all over, you can even get Stornoway black pudding pizza on the ferry. Another thing to factor in is the drive up. It is long way to get to the ferry port.

Use the VisitScotland website to look for accommodation on the islands, or even better, have a look at each islands website, most have accommodation on them. I'd highly reccomend Islay for a visit in October or November, loads of geese, both species of Eagle, Choughs and many more. There's often some kind of Shrike about at that time too, last year it was a Lesser Grey Shrike. The scenery is stunning and there are some great distilleries to visit as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back