• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Birding in the time of Coronavirus (1 Viewer)

Despite the wind, this morning one more indication that spring is really here: the first Common Redstart, heard by G during his morning constitutional.

I went for my combined walk/run too, almost stepping on a Blackbird that was foraging in the middle of the path. One lap later in exactly the same spot, a Blue Tit flew on the bare branch of a chestnut tree. I also saw Black Redstart and Collared Dove. Earlier from the kitchen window we had seen at least 3 Hawfinch, the usual Siskins and heard Green Woodpecker. At the feeders also Coal and Great Tit.

Fingers crossed for tomorrows' Birders Big Bird Watch as more wind is forecast. ��

Despite the wind, this morning one more indication that spring is really here: the first Common Redstart, heard by G during his morning constitutional.

I went for my combined walk/run too, almost stepping on a Blackbird that was foraging in the middle of the path. One lap later in exactly the same spot, a Blue Tit flew on the bare branch of a chestnut tree. I also saw Black Redstart and Collared Dove. Earlier from the kitchen window we had seen at least 3 Hawfinch, the usual Siskins and heard Green Woodpecker. At the feeders also Coal and Great Tit.

Fingers crossed for tomorrows' Birders Big Bird Watch as more wind is forecast. ��

Been very windy here too for the last couple of days, especially yesterday. Forecast is quite good for tomorrow ... here's wishing a good day for all 👍

Big Bird Watch day!

Up early this morning (not always the case in lockdown) to try and take advantage of the calmer conditions before the wind got stronger.

There was already a lot of activity at the back: First birds seen were the usual Siskins, then Blackbird, 4 Hawfinch, a Green Woodpecker calling and a Chiffchaff singing from the fence in front of the window: definitely a good start!

Other unexpected sightings included a lone Starling (not usual here), a Greenfinch and a Blackcap. Also Coal and Great Tit, Chaffinch, Tree Sparrow and Black Redstart. I also heard a Great Spotted Woodpecker.

After a quick breakfast, G and I went for a walk within the 300 metres permitted radius, adding to the tally: Nuthatch, Jackdaw, Jay, Robin, Serin, Common Redstart, Goldfinch and a few House Martins, the first ones of the year here in town (although I had seen them elsewhere already) as we arrived back home.

In the afternoon I spent more time at the kitchen window, making the most of the good light, trying to snap at whatever came closer and I was very pleased with some of the results obtained with G's borrowed 500mm, (he was otherwise engaged in a sort of contest on a photography website).

This is today's complete checklist, as posted also in the appropriate Big Birdwatch forum:

1. Feral Pigeon
2. Collared Dove
3. Wood Pigeon
4. Green Woodpecker
5. Great Spotted Woodpecker
6. House Martin
7. Robin
8. Common Redstart
9. Black Redstart
10. Blackbird
11. Blackcap
12. Chiffchaff
13. Great Tit
14. Coal Tit
15. Blue Tit
16. Marsh Tit
17. Nuthatch
18. Magpie
19. Jay
20. Jackdaw
21. Hooded Crow
22. Starling
23. Tree Sparrow
24. Chaffinch
25. Goldfinch
26. Greenfinch
27. Siskin
28. Serin
29. Hawfinch

Attachments

• Black-redstart.jpg
    Black-redstart.jpg
    460.9 KB · Views: 44
  • Tree-sparrow.jpg
    Tree-sparrow.jpg
    621.3 KB · Views: 44
  • hawfinch.jpg
    hawfinch.jpg
    822.2 KB · Views: 51
  • Hawfinch2.jpg
    Hawfinch2.jpg
    455.5 KB · Views: 60
  • Chiffchaff.jpg
    Chiffchaff.jpg
    826.1 KB · Views: 52
A quiet day, but the first bird I saw as soon as I opened the curtains of the kitchen window was a flyby Hawfinch. Then the usual Siskins, but less than yesterday and they were completely gone by mid-afternoon. Coal and Marsh Tits, Blackbirds, Black Redstart, Jay, Collared Dove, Magpie etc. I also heard a Nuthatch in the same place as yesterday and G saw some House Martins when he was at work.

I have been scanning the sky for Buzzards for days, but no joy yet, although they are not an unusual sight here. Also, spurred by my photographic efforts of yesterday, I spent some time at the kitchen window in the afternoon, when the light is at its best, but there was no sign of life.

There's always tomorrow!

P.S.: I forgot a Blackcap

Last edited:
Not much birding done today, as it was ATM and food shopping day and that took up most of the morning.

Anyway first bird of the day was... Hawfinch again! Perched on a still bare branch behind the feeders.

Then the usual: a few Siskins, Coal Tits, Great and Blues heard only, Tree Sparrow, Black Redstart, Blackbird, Jay, Collared Dove. G also saw two Barn Swallows, the first ones here in town this year.

Tomorrow I drive to my mum's... fingers crossed!

The trip to my mum's was pretty good today, with a few new species for my lockdown checklist (although not eligible for inclusion in the Joint Birdforum Lockdown List as I travelled 70 km each way).

It was another glorious day (rain long overdue), but when we looked out of the kitchen window first thing in the morning I didn't see any Hawfinch, only a few Siskins and a couple of Collared Doves, and we thought that they had gone for good. But when I went to get the car at the back they were there again, and also when I got back at lunchtime and later in the afternoon.

As I was leaving town I saw my first "local" Barn Swallows, around a garage where they nest each year, then along the road the usual species: Jay, Wood Pigeon, Chaffinch, Starling, Blackbird, 2 nice Buzzards perched on telephone poles, Corn Bunting, Italian Sparrow. I Also saw a Grey Heron together with a couple of Little Egrets. But this trip was different as it was obviously spring: Barn Swallows in the countryside and House Martins in towns, Greenfinches, Goldfinches, Blue and Great Tits singing, Serins on wires and I also heard (but didn't see) my first Swift on the year as I was walking down my mum's street.

On the way back I heard a couple of Common Redstarts, several Zitting Cisticolas, and saw a few Stonechats and Jackdaws. Also a group of about 20 Cattle Egrets in a field. But the real surprise was when I was on the dirt track that borders a wetland reserve, where I heard both Cetti's Warbler and the first Nightingale of the year. In the next town I also heard a Firecrest and then a couple of Chiffchaff. Crossing a river a bit further on there was another Buzzard in a tree and immediately afterwards a Red Kite flew across the road in front of me. Finally a nice male Kestrel on top of a bush as I was approaching town.

At the feeders, a dozen Siskins, Coal, Great, and Marsh Tits, 2-3 Hawfinch and a Nuthatch calling somewhere.

Inspired by the good birding day in the afternoon I cut my own hair! :eek!:

no, seriously ;)

not a bad job, I think, although one of the others eventually relented and helped with the back. :clap:

Attachments

• haircutBF.jpg
    haircutBF.jpg
    330.5 KB · Views: 50
The morning started well, as the first bird I set eyes on was a cracking male Common Redstart in the garden of the poacher (don't ask... :-C ) that lives across the road at the back. Also (still) around a few Siskins and 2-3 Hawfinch, plus the usual Tree Sparrows, Blackbirds etc.. Going for my walk/run I could hear Black Redstart, Blue and Great Tits singing and, most importantly I saw my first Swift of the season, just the one flying around one of the chimneys of the old mercury mine. G told me that he saw another two while he was at work in town.

In the afternoon we removed one of the feeders, leaving just one seed feeder and the water dish; the Siskins had disappeared but there were still a couple of Hawfinch and a Marsh Tit.

I'm sorry I didn't respond yesterday but I was too busy laughing - and feeling outplayed - bravo! :t:

John

Thanks John, it did feel liberating.

As for today, the morning began with two surprises and a confirmation: first birds seen were 5 Hawfinch (2 still there an hour ago), but absolutely ZERO Siskins! All gone. The second bird I saw was the second surprise: a nice Hoopoe flew past the window as I was looking around. Chiffchaff and various Tits were singing.

In the afternoon, as I was practicing socially distant chatting with my neighbour (across a fence) in our minuscule "garden" I heard Short-toed Treecreeper, Blue and Great Tits and Greenfinch. I also saw Marsh Tit and half an hour ago, from the sofa in the living room, 2 Swifts disappeared behind the roof opposite.

More disappearances today, as when I looked out of the window first thing this morning it was totally empty: not even one single Hawfinch, although later in the afternoon something flew past the window which looked very much like one of the above. Oh well, they were bound to go sooner or later and they surely kept us entertained for much longer than we were expecting.

Nothing much of note; Blue, Coal and Great Tits singing all around, a Jay, the usual Collared Doves, Black Redstart and Tree Sparrows. Also heard Short-toed Treecreeper, Chaffinch and Greenfinch, and a few Swifts in the distance in the late afternoon.

I’ve not had Siskins, but Brambling passing the whole winter here, and like you with the Siskins, the numbers have dropped down and down this past week until the past three days just two females were left, this morning they weren’t around, I’ll miss them.

I’ve not had Siskins, but Brambling passing the whole winter here, and like you with the Siskins, the numbers have dropped down and down this past week until the past three days just two females were left, this morning they weren’t around, I’ll miss them.

Here's the opposite: Siskins spend the winter, but they arrive late, usually at the end of December, beginning of January and numbers rise every day until March, when we have had up to 80, maybe more. Bramblings we get only a few every now and then, usually when it's colder, but you are right they are lovely birds. I won't miss the Siskins though! ;)

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back