• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Birding in Tonga - has anyone been there? (1 Viewer)

Kongi

Hi,
has anyone got any experience/ information with birding in Tonga. I'm going there in 3 months and would greatly appreciate any recommendations where to look for birds, etc.. The plan is to visit the main island, Eua and Vavau.

Thank you really for any piece of advice!
Petr

Hi Petr

I've done a little research and found that AlanR has uploaded some pictures into the Gallery from Tonga. If he doesn't see your post here, I'm sure he wouldn't mind if you sent him a PM.

D

Hi Petr,

I haven't been to Tonga, but I do have the field guide which covers Tonga, along with Fiji and the rest of western Polynesia, so some of this information might be useful if you don't have this book, "A guide to the birds of Fiji and Western Polynesia" by Dick Watling, which I'd recommend, having used it in Fiji. Please forgive me if you already have it!

Tonga has 2 endemics, and 8 other "regional" endemics. Seeing Tongan Megapode would appear to involve pretty much an expedition to the far flung northern most island, Niuafo'ou. Tongan Whistler however, is on Vava'u, and the field guide gives directions to a site for them, north of Holonga on the NE coast.

Eua is good for seabirds, especially the southern cliffs, including Grey Ternlet, White Tern, White-tailed Tropicbird, Brown and Red-footed Boobies, Frigatebirds, Brown and Black Noddies. The east side of Eua is more forested, with birds including Pacific Imperial Pigeon, Crimson-crowned Fruit Dove, Polynesian Triller, Wattled Honeyeater and Polynesian Starling.

It might be worth googling some trip reports if you haven't already.

Best of luck.

Larry

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back