• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Birding in Worcestershire (4 Viewers)

Yellow-browed Warbler, Warndon, Worcs.
in hawthorn hedgerow along cycle path between Berkeley Way and Skipton Crescent
Lets hope its still about Sunday morning

Can somebody help please? This afternoon I was at the wetlands in Pershore for about an hour, the whole time I was there there was a continuos movement of herring gulls flying south. They were in the classic V formation and there was at least 2000 birds that we saw, they were moving in small formations of between 15-40 birds with smaller formations and individual birds.

They were all flying in a ssw direction, any ideas where they were coming from or going to. I am just puzzled by the fact they were heading south, I'm aware the lesser black backed gulls migrate to africa in autumn-winter, but do herring gulls fly north for the winter?

Can somebody help please? This afternoon I was at the wetlands in Pershore for about an hour, the whole time I was there there was a continuos movement of herring gulls flying south. They were in the classic V formation and there was at least 2000 birds that we saw, they were moving in small formations of between 15-40 birds with smaller formations and individual birds.

They were all flying in a ssw direction, any ideas where they were coming from or going to. I am just puzzled by the fact they were heading south, I'm aware the lesser black backed gulls migrate to africa in autumn-winter, but do herring gulls fly north for the winter?

Hi Gavin,

They were almost certainly leaving the tip at Throckmorton after a day of feeding to roost on the estuary off Frampton and Slimbridge.

Brian

Hi Gavin,

They were almost certainly leaving the tip at Throckmorton after a day of feeding to roost on the estuary off Frampton and Slimbridge.

Brian

Hi Brian,

Thanks for that, I did think it a bit weird that they were flying south. I was'nt aware that they flew in formation on journeys like that, I assume they make that journey on a regular basis then. It was very interesting to observe I must say.

Osprey again at Upper Bittel, I'm convinced its the same one as last year, Ospreys are creatures of habit and this one seems to like the habitat, oh! to have breeding Ospreys in Worcestershire :eek!:

p.s I do seem to get a wee bit excited when it comes to these amazing birds so I don't expect anybody to agree with me, but one can always dream

A great couple of days passage in the local north Worcs/ Kiddy area, many Wheatear yesterday found by Jason K, stonking Yellow Wag yesterday that dropped in Shenstone briefly when we had bumped into each other, and 4 More Wheatears today, including a female.

http://shenstonebirder.blogspot.co.uk/ and mine below

Patch birding :t:

Stopped by Barnet Brook on the way home tonight to see 7 Wheatear that had kindly dropped in today. Interestingly I had 7 Wheatear there on 15th April last year. Nice patch tick ;)

An amazing flock of 9 White Storks were seen feeding in a ploughed field at Abberley in Worcestershire for a couple of hours on April 17th.

News filtered out this morning together with some mobile phone images which were taken from inside a tractor can be seen here.

A number of local birders were out looking in the area this morning but they appear to have moved on. If they stick together it will be amazing if they are not relocated somewhere else.

It would be interesting to know what the single largest group of White Storks to be seen in Britain is. I'm guessing this may be it!

Brian

An amazing flock of 9 White Storks were seen feeding in a ploughed field at Abberley in Worcestershire for a couple of hours on April 17th.

News filtered out this morning together with some mobile phone images which were taken from inside a tractor can be seen here.

A number of local birders were out looking in the area this morning but they appear to have moved on. If they stick together it will be amazing if they are not relocated somewhere else.

It would be interesting to know what the single largest group of White Storks to be seen in Britain is. I'm guessing this may be it!

Brian

Wow they are certainly stunning images, I can't imagine seeing a sight like that whilst walking round the lanes of belbroughton.

Six White Storks flying over North Wales.
Maybe all these single report might not be escapes. Link to Brians pics even being quoted on Yorkshire bird forums

13:39 23/04/12 White Stork Conwy Llandudno 12:00
six NNW over at midday
12:28 23/04/12 White Stork Conwy Colwyn Bay 11:50
six west over towards Llandudno

Two Black Terns over the Severn flood plain next to the A4440 Temeside Way this afternoon at 1620hrs. Several large gulls too but road safety precluded IDs!

Last edited:
Birds And Butterflies Around The Malverns

After a two-year gap in publishing their annual records, the Malvern Bird Group has now produced a new edition of the Birds and Butterflies around the Malverns. Besides containing details of where and when to see the 143 bird and 53 butterfly species seen during 2011, the book contains photographs, drawings and articles by members of the group. Details of where to obtain a copy can be found here.

Brian

Wow just look what I had turn up in my garden today in Abberley. I first saw him in one of the apple trees, then lost sight of him, only to notice that he had flown in to my greenhouse through an open window. After opening the door he did fly out and landed in another apple tree, where I took some photo's of him.
Jackie

Attachments

• P1000629.jpg
    P1000629.jpg
    169.9 KB · Views: 167
Wow just look what I had turn up in my garden today in Abberley. I first saw him in one of the apple trees, then lost sight of him, only to notice that he had flown in to my greenhouse through an open window. After opening the door he did fly out and landed in another apple tree, where I took some photo's of him.
Jackie

Whoa that's some bird for the garden, fantastic stuff :t:

Just been down to diglis Worcester and saw the Nightingale. Got there 7.30 and it was in full song perched in top of small ash trees Fantastic bird. ( south side of Diglis Trading Estate, Waverly Road at Cherry Orchard NR along south side of tarmac path near portakabin compound in scrub near 2nd motorcycling prohibited sign from children's playground SO.849.531) Then popped into Coney Meadow no Grasshoppers reeling but a pair of Cuckoo's displaying with the female calling perfect morning.

Attachments

• bird nightingale 05 2012 009 (2).jpg
    bird nightingale 05 2012 009 (2).jpg
    109.8 KB · Views: 103
Last edited:
After having an adult wild swan fly SW high over my patch, and so as not to hijack the Upton thread, I'm interested in any sightings of Whooper/Bewick's Swans reported new in at Worcs or Gloucs today, that might be the same bird.
Matt

Waxwings

8 Waxwings at Rowberry's near Chaddesley Corbett this morning, a most welcome sight ! B :)

Attachments

• waxwing2.jpg
    waxwing2.jpg
    158.3 KB · Views: 61

Users who are viewing this thread

Back