• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Birding in Worcestershire (1 Viewer)

The Ripple area produces the goods again today - following on from 2 Dusky Warblers, Eastern Black Redstart and Great White Egret, today turned up the county's second Cattle Egret opposite the fisherman's car park at Uckinghall.

Dawn chorus today had a couple of extras in the way of blackbird , collared dove and skylark, joining the usual robin dunnock and song thrush spring is getting closer as is the sunrise .Another 15 mins or 1 week more and the morning dog walk will be in full sun .Going back to listening to the birds ,the traffic noise on the nearby roads is almost continuous and makes it hard to pick out the bird songs unless quite close. So if it's difficult for me it must be the same for migrating birds trying to find a mate as from an elevated position the noise becomes a lot worse.

Dawn chorus today had a couple of extras in the way of blackbird , collared dove and skylark, joining the usual robin dunnock and song thrush spring is getting closer as is the sunrise .Another 15 mins or 1 week more and the morning dog walk will be in full sun .Going back to listening to the birds ,the traffic noise on the nearby roads is almost continuous and makes it hard to pick out the bird songs unless quite close. So if it's difficult for me it must be the same for migrating birds trying to find a mate as from an elevated position the noise becomes a lot worse.

Quite agree, I should think Turtle Doves would suffer from traffic noise.

A Little Egret this evening just before 6pm between Callow End and Powick - quite surreal as it was flying virtually alongside my car at one point as I was driving home!

Went for a long family walk through the woods at the Lickey Hills this afternoon.

At the south-eastern corner, near where the footpaths join Barnt Green Road, we disturbed a smallish raptor, which flew above our heads between the trees and landed on a branch maybe 30ft up, before being disturbed by another family and flying off deeper into the woods. As it flew towards us we were looking into the sun so didn't see much other than a dark bird with powerful 'shoulders'. Flight was level on fairly deep wings. I'm thinking Sparrowhawk was the most likely candidate but the underside looked too dark as it flew over us.

Also two Ring-Necked Parakeets making a bloody racket.

Sunday night 9.00pm woodcock on a field in areley kings called the wreck surrounded by a housing estate so not a typical venue for such a seldom seen bird. Associated more with late evening walks through wyre Forrest in summer.

Christmas morning decided to take a quick walk around ribbesford wood ,bewdley switchback,usually not a good place for birding and it didn’t disappoint with only 9 common species a fly over redpoll being the best in 2 hours. Boxing Day wyre Forrest could not believe after 3 hours it was actually worse than the day before with 8 species treecreeper and nuthatch the best . Back to grimley tomorrow hopefully for a 50+ species day.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back