• BirdForum is the net's largest birding community dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE!

Register for an account to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Birding morning at the National Botanical Park, Havana, Cuba (1 Viewer)

Hi everyone! Even though Internet is limited in Cuba, I’ll do my best to post regularly and to be aware of what’s going on here.
Yesterday June 13th, I went birding to the National Botanical Garden, 25 km South of Havana. This is a special green park with roughly 600 hectares of forests and plains. It is home to about 4000 identified species, and almost 150 000 specimens of plants.
After 2.5 hours walking in search of birds to photograph, I came up with some 20 different species as follows: Common Grackle, Red-Legged Thrush, Yellow-Faced Grassquit, Red-tail Hawk, Gray Kingbird, Logger-Head Kingbird, West Indian Woodpecker, Green Woodpecker, Antillian Palm Swift, Green Heron, Cuban Emerald, Northern Mockingbird, Cuban Black Bird, Cuban Vireo, Cuban Pewee, Smooth-billed Ani, White-winged Dove, Ground Dove, White-crowned pigeon and American Kestrel.
You can find some of yesterday’s pictures at: www.facebook.com/birdinghavana
Thanks so much for taking the time reading me!!!

pratincol

Hi everyone! Even though Internet is limited in Cuba, I’ll do my best to post regularly and to be aware of what’s going on here.
Yesterday June 13th, I went birding to the National Botanical Garden, 25 km South of Havana. This is a special green park with roughly 600 hectares of forests and plains. It is home to about 4000 identified species, and almost 150 000 specimens of plants.
After 2.5 hours walking in search of birds to photograph, I came up with some 20 different species as follows: Common Grackle, Red-Legged Thrush, Yellow-Faced Grassquit, Red-tail Hawk, Gray Kingbird, Logger-Head Kingbird, West Indian Woodpecker, Green Woodpecker, Antillian Palm Swift, Green Heron, Cuban Emerald, Northern Mockingbird, Cuban Black Bird, Cuban Vireo, Cuban Pewee, Smooth-billed Ani, White-winged Dove, Ground Dove, White-crowned pigeon and American Kestrel.
You can find some of yesterday’s pictures at: www.facebook.com/birdinghavana
Thanks so much for taking the time reading me!!!

Thanks for that. Spent two wonderful holidays in Cuba enjoying your wonderful countryside and birds.
Is there much local interest in birdwatching and what is being done to protect birds and their habitats in Cuba?

Last edited:

Warixenjalka

Birdwitcher
Finland
I have been in Cuba just once, but I hope I can do that trip again some time. Great birding, great Island! :t:

Also I hope to hear more of your birding trips in Cuba.

Thanks for that. Spent two wonderful holidays in Cuba enjoying your wonderful countryside and birds.
Is there much local interest in birdwatching and what is being done to protect birds and their habitats in Cuba?

Thanks so much for your comments!! I'm sorry for the delay...Glad to hear you had a happy stay in Cuba!! Unfortunately birds watching is not popular amongs Cubans but environment protection culture is growing!!! The goverment is endeed doing so much for the environment. We are a small island with roughly 11.3 million inhabitants but at the same time we have between 25 and 30 % of green land all over the country!!! Thanks again!!!
More of my birding trips on www.facebook.com/birdinghavana

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread