• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Birding news from Hungary (1 Viewer)

Hungarian birder

Some good record nowadays in Hungary: Boreal Owl, Jack Snipe, Horned Grebe, Long-legged Buzzard, Pallid Harrier, Greater Spotted Eagle, Wallcreeper and, as a new species for Hungary: Red-flanked Bluetail. This new bird was caught in a ringing station by a mistnet in W-Hungary. Firstly on 12.10.2010. 7 am, and again 13.10.2010. 10 am. Some lucky twicher was there at the second time, but not me...

Where was the Wallcreeper? Cliffs along the Danube Bend? The face of the temple at Esztergom?
I lived in Hungary for 2 years (2006-2008) and met some great birders there who were so generous and knowledgeable. Do you know Ungi Balázs? What a great guy.
Thanks for this post of news from Hungary.
Greetings,

Jed Marc

Hi, He is one of my best friend! If you check birding.hu you will find info about, but this bird was at the Northern part of Lake Balaton, called Balaton felvidék, there are some stone mine, and there. I have also seen the famous bird on the wall of the Temple of Esztergom! Good birding!

Next, and the 2. Bluetail was caught on 16.10.2010. little bit closer to Budapest, near Salgótarján. Today we could get it on the area, thanx for the lot of local twicher! Lifer species, and new species for Hungary for a lots of us, new for me for Hungary! This was a great trip, thanx for all, who was there!!! This is a very beautiful bird (1 y female according to the ringer)!

3 Bluetail! Lucky you!! Ive been doing blue tits and chaffinches all day!!

What else you been catching and any pics?

Good birding

Dave

I'm going on an organised birding holiday to the Eger region of Hungary in May. Can you recommend any other good birding/wildlife areas to visit?

Hi Wendybugs,
Will you have a local guide? If yes, he will knows everything, otherwise, yes, I can advise a lots of good areas there! Target species?
Cheers,
Laszlo

Eger

I'm going on an organised birding holiday to the Eger region of Hungary in May. Can you recommend any other good birding/wildlife areas to visit?
If your going with Roy Adams who is based at Eger and runs Hungarian birdwatching tours he is a top guide and a great birdwatcher he will help you with any other sites you might want to visit he knows Eger and Bukk hills very well .John

I can recommend good areas for you, if I know what species would you like to watch, want to move farther from Eger, for example: Hortobagy or Kiskunsag, or needs good areas around Budapest?

Thanks for feedback. We don't see many owls, eagles, shrikes in GB and would like to see more of these - especially owls. We are definitely staying in Budapest for a couple of days, so if you can recommend any site near the city, that would be good.

Thanks for feedback. We don't see many owls, eagles, shrikes in GB and would like to see more of these - especially owls. We are definitely staying in Budapest for a couple of days, so if you can recommend any site near the city, that would be good.

OK, Normafa (within Budapest) is good for Woodpeckers, and some bird of preys (Honey Buzzard, Short-toed Eagle). Kiskunsag National Park (around Apaj and Bugyi) is good for Great Bustard, Waders, Ducks, wetland birds, and bird of preys too (Harriers, sometimes Imperial Eagle, Saker), and Red-backed and Lesser Grey Shrike. There are some Little Owl, and Nightjar too. I know 2 territory of Eagle Owls, some Scops Owl, Syrian Wp. and a not-sure Ural Owl (breeding last year, who know what about this) around Bp.
For the Hungarian avifauna see:
http://www.birding.hu/index.php?page=magyarorszag_madarai&lap=All&Lang=en
For the rarities: www.birding.hu
Good birding!
Laszlo

Thanks Laszlo. That's great info. I can't wait to go. Just missed 20-30 waxwings near to where I live. They would have made great photos in the snowy trees.

They are not here in this year, unfortunately, maybe a little bit later.
If you need my personal assistance at that time, pleace let me know in time, because the season starts for May, and I have have some reservation.
I hope, you can shot some! :)

8. Hungarian Eagle Survey was in middle of January. The numbers: White-tailed Eagle 475, Imperial Eagle 170, Golden Eagle 1, Great Spotted Eagle 3 birds. Details in Hungarian: http://href.hu/x/ee8u

I've just checked the site you linked - many thanks - I wonder if you would just confirm that the first two maps are for White-tailed and Eastern Imperial Eagles respectively? I'll be participating in a Common Bird Census in the Seewinkel this spring and will visit the Hungarian reserves over the border when I have any days off!
MJB

I've just checked the site you linked - many thanks - I wonder if you would just confirm that the first two maps are for White-tailed and Eastern Imperial Eagles respectively? I'll be participating in a Common Bird Census in the Seewinkel this spring and will visit the Hungarian reserves over the border when I have any days off!
MJB

Yes, the first is for White-tailed, 2. for Imperial, 3. for Golden, and 4. for the rest...:)

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back