• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Birding Stelvio, Adamello Brenta, PN Lessinia and Lake Garda area (2 Viewers)

Semiramis

Hi,

I will visit Stelvio, Adamello Brenta, PN Lessinia and Lake Garda area in the last week of May. I could find little useful information on the internet and all birding guides for Italy are out of print at the moment (or excessively expensive 2nd hand).

Can anyone give me accurate information on where to see:

1. bearded vulture (where exactly in Stelvio can this species be seen reliably)

2. black grouse, hazel grouse and capercaillie

3. any owls

4. grey-headed and three-toed woodpecker

5. Ortolan bunting?? Does this still occur in the area??

6. Any "Mediterranean" warblers of the genus Sylvia, Hippolais, Phylloscopus, etc.

Any information on mammalwatching would be great too!

Best wishes,

Sjef

1 Bearded Vulture: try at Livigno, north of the village, wait in that area looking around
2 Black Grouse easy in PN Lessinia (for example): try at San Giorgio di Bosco Chiesanuova; in Monte Baldo try at Novezza (Ferrara di Monte Baldo). Forget Hazel and Capercaillie
3 ...
4 ...
5 Ortolan Bunting in southern Verona area, not in the mountains
6 Mediterranean Warbler is common in Verona, Lake Garda - Melodious Warbler is not uncommon in southern Alpine area - Common Whitethroat is common also over 1500 meters in Lessinia and Baldo - Lesser Whitethroat over 1700 meters Lessinia and Baldo (and Stelvio of course) - W Bonell's Warbler not uncommon in val Venosta, Stelvio, Adamello

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back