• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Birding/wildlife lodge Indonesia (1 Viewer)

smaximo

Hi,
I am looking for recommendations of some nice wildlife lodge good for birds around Indonesia where you don't need to move around much to see wildlife. I was wondering if there is a place with a nice forested property with some bungalows where you can just walk around some trails nearby.

Thanks.

Indonesia is kind of vast, a multitude of islands, some more, some less developed, ie everything from Bali to Borneo. Accessibility and cost is also very variable, are you interested in recommendations for anywhere or in easier to access areas?

Indonesia is kind of vast, a multitude of islands, some more, some less developed, ie everything from Bali to Borneo. Accessibility and cost is also very variable, are you interested in recommendations for anywhere or in easier to access areas?
Hi,
Yes, I understand that, but I am willing to check different locations. The main objective is see wildlife without at the same location, without moving around from one place to the other.

I would guess Borneo is going to provide the richest mix, but absolutely not the cheapest - eg the Danum Valley Rainforest Lodge. However I have never been there, so probably better wait for a better reply from someone else.

Tangkoko on Sulawesi is easy to access and easy to find Crested Macaque, Cuscus and Tarsier. I believe you may technically need a guide to enter the reserve.

I would guess Borneo is going to provide the richest mix, but absolutely not the cheapest - eg the Danum Valley Rainforest Lodge. However I have never been there, so probably better wait for a better reply from someone else.
My Borneo gen is old I.e. 2011 but assuming no changes….
Borneo Rainforest Lodge is great but expensive AND there is no opportunity to wander trails on your own, guides are mandatory. There is another cheaper place in the same area, Danum valley Field Centre, I don’t really know the logistics for that one.
Mount Kinabalu NP HQ area has good trails which can be walked alone, there is cheap accommodation near the entrance gates
Cheers
James

Yes very true, Indonesian archipelago in the sense of the field guide.

Smaximo I think you need to figure out which part of Indonesia you want to go to. West papua e.g.?
Hi,
Well, I will start in West Papua and stay for a while, and end in Yogyakarta. The thing is I don't mind staying more time in West Papua if there is a place like I have described before, or move to a new location.

Hi,
Well, I will start in West Papua and stay for a while, and end in Yogyakarta. The thing is I don't mind staying more time in West Papua if there is a place like I have described before, or move to a new location.
Sorry for being late to the party..

West Papua Islands (Raja Ampat) can be a nice place that suits your purpose. You can stay in Waigeo (i.e. Sapokren village) and have plenty of tracks to explore and species to find, or just plunge into the sea when you are bored of the feathered stuff.

In Yogyakarta try to stay a night or two in Jatimulyo bird-friendly village.

IN West Papua lowland - suggest Alex's birding lodge near Nimbokrang - good walks / shot drives to various Bird of paradise leks
In Arfak Mountains - Papuan Lorikeet Lodge - see maps for walks to various BoP leks and other great birds nearby
On Waigeo- suggest Raja Ampa Dive resort where a climb up some stairs takes you into very productive forest with Wilson's and Red BoP.

On Bali try Menjangan resort really good for Bali Barat NP

On Sulawesi - Agree with Tankoko lodge recommendation and would add Onong's resort at Tamahon and Lake Tambling near Lore Lindu NP

Halmahera - try Weda Bay Dive Resort - walkable to Ivory Pitta and Standardwing site and great for night birds

Attachments

• 20220927_184946.jpg
    20220927_184946.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 13
  • arfak map.jpg
    arfak map.jpg
    3.7 MB · Views: 14
Last edited:
IN West Papua lowland - suggest Alex's birding lodge near Nimbokrang - good walks / shot drives to various Bird of paradise leks
In Arfak Mountains - Papuan Lorikeet Lodge - see maps for walks to various BoP leks and other great birds nearby
On Waigeo- suggest Raja Ampa Dive resort where a climb up some stairs takes you into very productive forest with Wilson's and Red BoP.

On Sulawesi - Agree with Tankoko lodge recommendation and would add Onong's resort at Tamahon and Lake Tambling near Lore Lindu NP

Halmahera - try Weda Bay Dive Resort - walkable to Ivory Pitta and Standardwing site and great for night birds
Stuff of dreams for me, left it too late now...............................

Thanks for all the tips. We will divide our time between West Papua and North Sulawesi, and later travel to Yogyakarta.

I am afraid to say that unfortunately the Weda Bay Resort closed a couple of years ago. Something to do with the construction of a big industrial installation nearby.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back