• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Birds fae Torry (1 Viewer)

278 from January of this year. Only 19 more to beat it!

Show-off! 3:)

I've had no more than 6 at one time at Seafield this year. I noticed on Autumn Watch that they mentioned they are getting fewer Purps on the Isle of May each year. Reason given was that with global warming, they don't need to travel as far south.

Show-off! 3:)

I've had no more than 6 at one time at Seafield this year. I noticed on Autumn Watch that they mentioned they are getting fewer Purps on the Isle of May each year. Reason given was that with global warming, they don't need to travel as far south.

The two main sites in Aberdeenshire are Girdle Ness and Peterhead. Apparently numbers at the latter have generally been in decline for a while. Our numbers dipped a bit but have increased slightly in recent years. I expect more are wintering further north these days, but maybe they're also breeding more successfully too.

A pleasant day in Torry after the rain of the weekend. I had a look around Nigg Bay around lunchtime. A flock of at least 40 Siskins flew over - quite a high number. Snipe were showing well in the marsh, with a group of six huddled in the vegetation. Another two flew out. Also about were a Chiffchaff, a Teal, a Redwing and a calling Great Spotted Woodpecker.

Attachments

• Snipe_Girdle Ness_161120b.jpg
    Snipe_Girdle Ness_161120b.jpg
    386.4 KB · Views: 26
  • Snipe_Girdle Ness_161120a.jpg
    Snipe_Girdle Ness_161120a.jpg
    406.7 KB · Views: 24
A pleasant day in Torry after the rain of the weekend. I had a look around Nigg Bay around lunchtime. A flock of at least 40 Siskins flew over - quite a high number. Snipe were showing well in the marsh, with a group of six huddled in the vegetation. Another two flew out. Also about were a Chiffchaff, a Teal, a Redwing and a calling Great Spotted Woodpecker.

Is there any particular area of the marsh,the Snipe seem to prefer Andrew ? I've heard them calling but other than that,most of my sightings have been of them flying and landing In out of sight places.

Is there any particular area of the marsh,the Snipe seem to prefer Andrew ? I've heard them calling but other than that,most of my sightings have been of them flying and landing In out of sight places.

The photos above are roughly in the middle. If I've seen them on the ground, that's roughly where they tend to be, but it depends where they're roosting. They also roost in the eastern part and sometimes flush from there. They also pop up in various other places. I flushed one from the path near the railway line the other day!

I had a quick stroll round the headland this afternoon, in very mild conditions. One Black Redstart was around the MAREX building, giving nice views on occasions. Otherwise, it was over to the Purple Sandpiper Totaliser:

Getting closer.

Attachments

• Black Redstart_Girdle Ness_171120a.jpg
    Black Redstart_Girdle Ness_171120a.jpg
    137.7 KB · Views: 17
A quick update from Torry. Yesterday was still rather mild, although I didn't get out until the final hour of daylight. A Black Redstart was still around the MAREX building, perching up on the south side on Abbey Road at one stage. Otherwise, it was all about the Purple Sandpiper Totaliser. Would the record be broken?

Nearly, but not quite.

Today was much colder and felt like the first day of winter. The wind had gone round a bit more to the west by the time I got out and the sun was actually quite pleasant. Three Snow Buntings flew south over Greyhope Bay, my first of the winter. Offshore things were pretty quiet, although a Long-tailed Duck went north. I didn't see the Black Redstart but didn't look for too long. It wouldn't surprise me if it's moved on though.

Welcome to your new look 'Birds fae Torry'. Yesterday was pretty gloomy and cold, but I had an interesting look around Nigg Bay. The highlights were a Great Spotted Woodpecker and a flushed Woodcock. A female Blackcap was on Abbey Road.

I was back in the same area this morning, in much better weather. Six Snipe were again showing well in the middle of the marsh. Two Water Rail were briefly seen, with another calling. Also about were 17 Siskin, two Teal and a Kestrel. A Crossbill was heard calling as it headed southwest.

A stroll round the headland eventually produced a female Black Redstart, seen briefly on the shore at Greyhope Bay. Fairly inevitably, it was chased off by a Robin. Two Common Scoters went past offshore and around 130 Pink-footed Geese flew over Torry at dusk.

A bit quiet over recent days. Yesterday a Goldeneye was in Nigg Bay. Today was lovely but mostly quiet. A female Black Redstart was still around though, and showed nicely on the north shore between Skate's Nose and the Breakwater.

Attachments

• Black Redstart_Girdle Ness_251120a.jpg
    Black Redstart_Girdle Ness_251120a.jpg
    226.6 KB · Views: 7
  • Black Redstart_Girdle Ness_251120b.jpg
    Black Redstart_Girdle Ness_251120b.jpg
    218.8 KB · Views: 8
  • Black Redstart_Girdle Ness_251120c.jpg
    Black Redstart_Girdle Ness_251120c.jpg
    263.7 KB · Views: 8
  • Black Redstart_Girdle Ness_251120d.jpg
    Black Redstart_Girdle Ness_251120d.jpg
    347.6 KB · Views: 9
  • Carrion Crow_Girdle Ness_251120a.jpg
    Carrion Crow_Girdle Ness_251120a.jpg
    251.8 KB · Views: 7
Fairly quiet here at the moment. Today was frosty and clear. A look around Nigg Bay in the morning produced a Woodcock and four Snipe were again showing nicely in the marsh. Also there were six Teal and six Siskins.

You asked about the bird on Bay of Nigg: redstart or stonechat? (It was at quite a distance for my little camera.)
And, after your advice, all the woodpecker pictures are of a male. WALK 20,11,10 Redstart (Phoenicurus phoenicurus)? Bay of Nigg ><foggy St F's 6 cropped .jpgWILDCam 20,11,22  ♂ woodpecker.jpg

Attachments

• WALK 20,11,10 Redstart (Phoenicurus phoenicurus)? Bay of Nigg ><foggy St F's 6.JPG
    WALK 20,11,10 Redstart (Phoenicurus phoenicurus)? Bay of Nigg ><foggy St F's 6.JPG
    1,019.6 KB · Views: 11
Welcome to BirdForum! That looks like a Stonechat, which is also far more likely at this time of year. Common Redstarts will pretty much all be in Africa at the moment.

Another fine, clear day in Torry. A wander round the headland was mostly quiet but there was a bit of interest. Offshore, a Velvet Scoter went north and there were two Long-tailed Ducks, one going north and another on the sea. The crowd were very much on the edge of their seats, however, for the Purple Sandpiper Totaliser. Would the record go?

Equal!!! Unbelievable scenes. Can it go in the coming days? I don't know about you but I can hardly cope with the tension.

Cool and breezy today. There was only one place to be: down by Skate's Nose. I solemnly announce the results of today's Purple Sandpiper Totaliser:

Yes... good news indeed Andrew.

Is that video meant to be there though? Seems strange even for you ;) Nothing like the quality of discarded shoes!

Yes... good news indeed Andrew.

Is that video meant to be there though? Seems strange even for you ;) Nothing like the quality of discarded shoes!
Thanks D and BN! I suspect there's a fair chance it might get broken. Maybe the 300-barrier will broken. They said it couldn't be done... but we'll see.

And yes the video is meant to be there. It captures my exact response on working out the total ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back