• BirdForum is the net's largest birding community dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE!

Register for an account to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Birds fae Torry (7 Viewers)

delia todd

If I said the wrong thing it was a Senior Moment
Staff member
Opus Editor
Supporter
Scotland
WOW!!! You sure didn't waste that opportunity Andrew!! Cracking action pictures.

Stonefaction

Stuck in Dundee.....
Scotland
This is the one I got:
I think it's possible to get cheaper ones, though maybe not much below about £500. The prices will, I suspect, come down in the medium-term. This one seems to be about the cheapest:
It has a more limited detection range compared to the one I've got though.

Rob, I recently bought the HikVision 15mm (roughly the same price as the one Andrew got). I've managed to 'see' 2 Tawny Owls and 4 Foxes and a number of Roe Deer using it so far - though I'm limited for places to try it while being rather stuck here in Dundee. I think it could also have been useful for the Siberian Thrush at Kilminning - being able to detect a bird moving among a tangle of branches/leaves then using bins to watch, rather than having to rely on it popping into view in a gap that I happen to be looking at. I can see me carrying it with me whenever I'm out birding as it does pick out birds sitting doing nothing in bushes/trees that would be easy to walk past. Hawfinches at Scone, Grasshopper/Reed Warbler at Tay Reedbeds and skulking migrants in Denburn Wood etc all might be easier to find using it than relying on eyes and bins. Hopefully I will get the chance this year to see if it does work.

Ben Nevis

Supporter
Scotland
A morning walk In sub zero conditions with Angus Falconer this morning,provided some lovely sightings of some of the birds In St Fitticks Park.I started at the concrete bridge,which provided me my best ever sighting of Water Rail there.One particular bird was showing well,at the edge of the Pool,while two others were skirting around.Two Teal were on the burn and there were 8 Bullfinch on the larches on the north side of the burn.14 Siskins were flying around,without settling anywhere In particular.A feeding party of Tits,comprised of Blue,Coal and Great with at least three Long tailed Tits were also around.Add to that,the usual Mallard,Moorhen,Magpies,Rooks and Robin made the walk a pleasant one.

Andrew Whitehouse

Professor of Listening
Staff member
Supporter
Scotland
Quite an icy weekend here but with pleasant, sunny weather. Yesterday I had a good look around St Fittick's. Water Rails were showing well, both in the main marsh and the reedbed. Eight Snipe were roosting in the marsh and there were also three Teal, four Bullfinches and a Great Spotted Woodpecker. The headland was quiet, but a pair of Stonechats were again seen on the south side.

Today the headland was still pretty quiet, but 16 Long-tailed Ducks and four Common Scoters could be seen distantly in Aberdeen Bay. I took a walk along the River Dee up towards the railway bridge, hoping the icy conditions had brought in some interesting waterfowl. The best was a drake Goldeneye. 110 Mallards along the river was a pretty high count.

Attachments

• Snipe_Girdle Ness_230121a.jpg
    Snipe_Girdle Ness_230121a.jpg
    337.6 KB · Views: 5
  • Goosander_Torry_240121a.jpg
    Goosander_Torry_240121a.jpg
    221.6 KB · Views: 7
  • Goosander_Torry_240121b.jpg
    Goosander_Torry_240121b.jpg
    280 KB · Views: 6
  • Redshank_Torry_240121a.jpg
    Redshank_Torry_240121a.jpg
    288.8 KB · Views: 7

Cucurrucucu

Cucurrucucu
Supporter
Quite an icy weekend here but with pleasant, sunny weather. Yesterday I had a good look around St Fittick's. Water Rails were showing well, both in the main marsh and the reedbed. Eight Snipe were roosting in the marsh and there were also three Teal, four Bullfinches and a Great Spotted Woodpecker. The headland was quiet, but a pair of Stonechats were again seen on the south side.

Today the headland was still pretty quiet, but 16 Long-tailed Ducks and four Common Scoters could be seen distantly in Aberdeen Bay. I took a walk along the River Dee up towards the railway bridge, hoping the icy conditions had brought in some interesting waterfowl. The best was a drake Goldeneye. 110 Mallards along the river was a pretty high count.
Did you see Perfect Planet's eider duck footage - diving for mussels? (I want a pet Metasepia pfefferi!)

Andrew Whitehouse

Professor of Listening
Staff member
Supporter
Scotland
Did you see Perfect Planet's eider duck footage - diving for mussels? (I want a pet Metasepia pfefferi!)
I've not seen it. Will maybe have a look for it.

I had a quick wander round St Fittick's today but it was generally the usual stuff e.g. three Snipe, two Water Rails, a Bullfinch etc. Lots of feeders up at the moment, attracting plenty of tits.

Also, a quick plug to readers of this thread for the new Torry Ecomuseum Project:

Ben Nevis

Supporter
Scotland
I have put some feeders up Andrew.Not expecting anything unusual on them,just doing a wee bit to help the birds ln these colder days and adds something to my walks.

Cucurrucucu

Cucurrucucu
Supporter
I've not seen it. Will maybe have a look for it.

I had a quick wander round St Fittick's today but it was generally the usual stuff e.g. three Snipe, two Water Rails, a Bullfinch etc. Lots of feeders up at the moment, attracting plenty of tits.

Also, a quick plug to readers of this thread for the new Torry Ecomuseum Project:
Help with ID please. Last November I collected up some feathers left after a kill (maybe a fox - very bloody and chewed quills). It was on the western edge of St F's - the Tullos pitches on the other side of the fence. I'd just flushed a snipe. Were the feathers from one not quite so fast to react? 21,1,25 feather from deaded bird .jpg

Cucurrucucu

Cucurrucucu
Supporter
Help with ID please. Last November I collected up some feathers left after a kill (maybe a fox - very bloody and chewed quills). It was on the western edge of St F's - the Tullos pitches on the other side of the fence. I'd just flushed a snipe. Were the feathers from one not quite so fast to react? View attachment 1366092
Also, found a robin in the garden today fluffed up, eyes closed and panting, almost choking. Found a dead one on Boxing Day. I know they have a high turnover, even a high murder rate. But two noticed in a month is a bit worrying. I gather the bird flu effecting waders doesn't infect the little things.

Andrew Whitehouse

Professor of Listening
Staff member
Supporter
Scotland
Help with ID please. Last November I collected up some feathers left after a kill (maybe a fox - very bloody and chewed quills). It was on the western edge of St F's - the Tullos pitches on the other side of the fence. I'd just flushed a snipe. Were the feathers from one not quite so fast to react? View attachment 1366092
I'm not that good on feathers (maybe try the ID section of the forum) but that looks too big for a Snipe. I wonder if it might be something like a Mallard or maybe a Pheasant.

Users who are viewing this thread