• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Birds fae Torry (5 Viewers)

When was this Cucurrucucu? I know that Treecreepers join mixed feeding flocks of tits and finches in the winter months. I've never seen them together at other times of the year.
Gawd knows when - years ago. It was an observation that stuck with me. Not noticed it since. But never thought to ask anybody who might know.

Cold and blustery today. I headed around the headland late in the afternoon. The onshore wind was pushing a few things through. The best of it were four Puffins, a Manx Shearwater, five Red-throated Divers and six Common Scoters. A Wheatear was on the golf course and there are now 12 Goosander in the harbour.

Some ID help please. I'm going through videos from the last year to put some on YouTube.
These are from the end of August but look to me like knots in their winter clothes. Middle Pier 20,8,30 2.png
And, at the end of September. A dunlin next to the redshank? 20,9,26 .png

I ventured out late afternoon today. The weather has been pretty horrible today, with almost constant wind and rain and cold temperatures. News of one or two interesting migrants turning up on the east coast encouraged me. I suspect there were things out there, but it was hard work in the conditions. Two Wheatears were on the golf course. Of most note was a singing Garden Warbler on the north side of St Fittick's.

Also, a notice for readers of 'Birds fae Torry'. Here's a new video for anyone interested in:
1. Soft piano music
2. Watching someone set up their tripod
3. A new kind of birding known as 'caf-mig'
4. The birds of Girdle Ness
5. The new Greyhope Bay development

The weather was better today, although still cool with a strong northwesterly breeze. I was hoping to find some migrants remaining from yesterday's rain. The first area I looked was the most productive - the patch of scrub at St Fittick's next to the skate park. A Garden Warbler was again singing here, and was seen briefly. At one stage it sounded as though there were two singing near to each other, but one of these switched to singing like a Blackcap - presumably imitating a Garden Warbler. Nearby, a Lesser Whitethroat was briefly seen after singing a couple of times.

Otherwise, things were fairly routine around St Fittick's. Of some significance, however, was a summer-plumage Black Guillemot in Nigg Bay - my first of the year. I had a fairly extensive look around the headland in the evening, but it was pretty quiet. Two Wheatears were on the golf course.

I had a lengthy walk around today. It was generally very quiet, apart from plenty of stuff singing. Sedge Warblers seem particularly numerous this year. A Wheatear was on the golf course.

The most notable bird was a striking, large, long-winged Mealy Redpoll around St Fittick's. It's often hard to see the Redpolls well enough to say whether they're Mealy or Lesser, though I usually presume they're Lessers.

Attachments

• Redpoll_Girdle Ness_230521a.jpg
    Redpoll_Girdle Ness_230521a.jpg
    244 KB · Views: 8
  • Redpoll_Girdle Ness_230521b.jpg
    Redpoll_Girdle Ness_230521b.jpg
    215.5 KB · Views: 8
The strangest and most grizzly sighting of the day came on the golf course near the allotments. I didn't see the start of it but heard loud calls from the Starlings. Looking around, I saw a Carrion Crow, which appeared to have caught an adult Starling. It was mobbed by the other birds, but seemed to be clinging on. The Crow held on but seemed to struggle to dispatch the Starling, which was still very much alive at this point. After several minutes, the Starling became more subdued and the other birds drifted away, perhaps realising it was doomed. Eventually, the Crow pulled hard at the head and that was that. It then removed the head and trotted off with it. I know Crows will take other birds, but this is the first time I've seen one predate an adult bird.

Attachments

• Crow_Girdle Ness_230521a.jpg
    Crow_Girdle Ness_230521a.jpg
    425.7 KB · Views: 10
  • Crow_Girdle Ness_230521c.jpg
    Crow_Girdle Ness_230521c.jpg
    432.3 KB · Views: 9
  • Crow_Girdle Ness_230521b.jpg
    Crow_Girdle Ness_230521b.jpg
    436.1 KB · Views: 7
  • Crow_Girdle Ness_230521d.jpg
    Crow_Girdle Ness_230521d.jpg
    477.3 KB · Views: 9
  • Crow_Girdle Ness_230521e.jpg
    Crow_Girdle Ness_230521e.jpg
    463.8 KB · Views: 9
  • Crow_Girdle Ness_230521g.jpg
    Crow_Girdle Ness_230521g.jpg
    477.6 KB · Views: 9
  • Crow_Girdle Ness_230521f.jpg
    Crow_Girdle Ness_230521f.jpg
    470.7 KB · Views: 10
  • Crow_Girdle Ness_230521h.jpg
    Crow_Girdle Ness_230521h.jpg
    454 KB · Views: 10
  • Crow_Girdle Ness_230521i.jpg
    Crow_Girdle Ness_230521i.jpg
    389.1 KB · Views: 10
  • Crow_Girdle Ness_230521j.jpg
    Crow_Girdle Ness_230521j.jpg
    423.1 KB · Views: 10
  • Crow_Girdle Ness_230521k.jpg
    Crow_Girdle Ness_230521k.jpg
    408.7 KB · Views: 11
  • Crow_Girdle Ness_230521l.jpg
    Crow_Girdle Ness_230521l.jpg
    415.6 KB · Views: 10
Back in the days of watching the Eden(!) I saw crows take down a number of birds - a black-headed gull and 2 wood pigeons. The technique was to jump on the victim's back and peck the skull until it succumbed. Horrible to watch.

Rob

Back in the days of watching the Eden(!) I saw crows take down a number of birds - a black-headed gull and 2 wood pigeons. The technique was to jump on the victim's back and peck the skull until it succumbed. Horrible to watch.

Rob
Think I remember seeing a crow attempt something along those lines on the Eden. I guess certain crows learn how to attack other birds and become more skilled at it.

That's a Curlew. The head pattern isn't strong enough for Whimbrel.
Thank you!
Knots with purple one or two sandpipers? WALK 20,9,7 oystercatchers + purple sandpiper + knots + turnstones, Middle Pier, Harbour Scree...png
WALK 20,9,7 oystercatchers + purple sandpiper + knots + turnstones, Middle Pier, Harbour Scree...png looks smaller, darker and has a sharper, longer beak than WALK 20,9,7 oystercatchers + purple sandpiper + knots + turnstones, Middle Pier, Harbour Scree...png.
There are 574 UK species. Helping me ID one a day will take less than 2 years. (I already know there are turnstones and oysterc's in the background. You get those days off.)

Hi peeps
I'm on holiday in Deeside next week, driving up from Yorkshire tomorrow. Am I too late for seeing migrants at Girdle Ness and the Battery?

Hi peeps
I'm on holiday in Deeside next week, driving up from Yorkshire tomorrow. Am I too late for seeing migrants at Girdle Ness and the Battery?
Hi Keith. You may be both too early and too late! That's one way of saying there hasn't been a lot happening on the migrant front this spring. Having said that, there are easterlies forecast for most of the week, so there may be some reasonable chances of something happening. That's what I'm telling myself anyway! I suspect there might be one or two bits and pieces somewhere along the Aberdeenshire coast anyway.

Thanks Andrew. I haven't been to this area before so was unsure what to expect. I have a day of birdwatching pencilled in - possibly more if the spa at the holiday resort appeals to my wife.

I guess I should update this thread. I've not always been able to get out much this week, but haven't seen a great deal when I have. A Wheatear was still around on Tuesday 25th. Today was misty but a bit warmer than for a while. I've not been seeing young birds much this spring but today produced the first juvenile Starlings of the year, about a week later than normal. I also saw a family party of Long-tailed Tits at St Fittick's. A few Redpolls were around, with all those seen well looking like Lessers this week. A Red-breasted Merganser appeared out of the fog off Greyhope Bay. That was about it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back