• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Birds fae Torry (6 Viewers)

I guess I should update this thread. I've not always been able to get out much this week, but haven't seen a great deal when I have. A Wheatear was still around on Tuesday 25th. Today was misty but a bit warmer than for a while. I've not been seeing young birds much this spring but today produced the first juvenile Starlings of the year, about a week later than normal. I also saw a family party of Long-tailed Tits at St Fittick's. A few Redpolls were around, with all those seen well looking like Lessers this week. A Red-breasted Merganser appeared out of the fog off Greyhope Bay. That was about it.
Interesting you said that about the Starlings Andrew. Mine are very late too. The adults seem to have been taking food to the nests for weeks. So I've been expecting the usual hordes of the vandals to descend for a while.

Yesterday I saw just one being fed by an adult, and the same today. Seems my window feeder is going to be spared any trauma until they produce the next lot!

I've not been seeing young birds much this spring but today produced the first juvenile Starlings of the year, about a week later than normal.
The sparrows seem to have ignored all our nesting boxes instead have broken in under the roof to nest. They have pooed all over our new door only put in a couple of weeks ago. Now we have half a dozen babies sitting on the peanut feeder demanding to be fed along with a couple of fledgling starlings. But it is the two rooks in Tullos Primary's playground that were the stars of my early walk today. 1622661045272.png

The sparrows seem to have ignored all our nesting boxes instead have broken in under the roof to nest. They have pooed all over our new door only put in a couple of weeks ago. Now we have half a dozen babies sitting on the peanut feeder demanding to be fed along with a couple of fledgling starlings. But it is the two rooks in Tullos Primary's playground that were the stars of my early walk today. View attachment 1388856
Oh, and first pipit fledgling today. 1622663541966.png1622663541966.png

It's gone a bit quiet on the thread lately and that's because I've not been seeing a great deal. Today was slightly more interesting, with three firsts for the year and also a non-avian patch first. St Fittick's was fairly quiet but I did find an Orange Tip butterfly, which I don't think I've ever seen here before. A fairly brief look out to sea around the middle of the day was more interesting than expected. A pale phase Arctic Skua headed northwards. Even more unexpected was a pair of Wigeon resting on the sea. I don't think I've ever seen them here at this time of year before.

An evening wander round the headland produced a summer-plumage Sanderling on the rocks between Greyhope Bay and the Coo. 30 Common Scoters went south. The Goosander flock in the harbour was up to ten birds and 24 Swifts was my highest count of the year so far.

Attachments

• Orange Tip_Girdle Ness_050621a.jpg
    Orange Tip_Girdle Ness_050621a.jpg
    516.1 KB · Views: 8
  • Reed Bunting_Girdle Ness_050621a.jpg
    Reed Bunting_Girdle Ness_050621a.jpg
    401.5 KB · Views: 11
  • Wigeon_Girdle Ness_050621a.jpg
    Wigeon_Girdle Ness_050621a.jpg
    719.3 KB · Views: 9
  • Goldeneye_Girdle Ness_050621a.jpg
    Goldeneye_Girdle Ness_050621a.jpg
    751.4 KB · Views: 10
Orange Tip butterfly, which I don't think I've ever seen here before. Wigeon
How may orange tips do you think there are? Did we snap the same one up near the rail bridge or are there more of them? Only seen them in Dufftown before.
So it was a goldeneye under Victoria Bridge this morning. Two bathing under South Breakwater yesterday? Thought it must just be eiders so deleted the video of all the fluttering and spray.
And it was a wigeon I saw? Thought I must have got it wrong so wiped my blurry picture.
Gotta keep my images for a week or two to get the ID confirmed by people wot know better!

How may orange tips do you think there are? Did we snap the same one up near the rail bridge or are there more of them? Only seen them in Dufftown before.
So it was a goldeneye under Victoria Bridge this morning. Two bathing under South Breakwater yesterday? Thought it must just be eiders so deleted the video of all the fluttering and spray.
And it was a wigeon I saw? Thought I must have got it wrong so wiped my blurry picture.
Gotta keep my images for a week or two to get the ID confirmed by people wot know better!
The Orange Tip yesterday was fairly near the railway bridge, so perhaps the same one. I suppose there might well be others around though.

You might have seen the Goldeneye, although there are lots more Goosander and Eiders around at the moment, often starting to look a bit messy. The Wigeon I saw were only around for a short time, and they're normally really unusual at this time of year. They might have been Wigeon you saw if they really looked like Wigeon though.

I strayed a little from Torry today, with a wander along the coast from Cove Bay. Before doing that, I checked nearby Rigifa Pool, which has held some good waders lately. The only waders present today were three Ringed Plovers. The sea cliffs were busy with incubating seabirds: Fulmars, Kittiwakes, Herring Gulls, Guillemots and Razorbills. I was pleased to find four Black Guillemots along the coast, probably two pairs. A Puffin flew past fairly close in.

Attachments

• Guillemot_Cove Bay_060621a.jpg
    Guillemot_Cove Bay_060621a.jpg
    931.5 KB · Views: 7
  • Black Guillemot_Cove Bay_060621a.jpg
    Black Guillemot_Cove Bay_060621a.jpg
    317.8 KB · Views: 7
  • Kittiwake_Cove Bay_060621a.jpg
    Kittiwake_Cove Bay_060621a.jpg
    366.7 KB · Views: 7
  • Kittiwake_Cove Bay_060621b.jpg
    Kittiwake_Cove Bay_060621b.jpg
    824.6 KB · Views: 5
Here are a few miscellaneous bird photos from the past week.

Attachments

• Song Thrush_Girdle Ness_030621a.jpg
    Song Thrush_Girdle Ness_030621a.jpg
    629.5 KB · Views: 11
  • Meadow Pipit_Girdle Ness_040621a.jpg
    Meadow Pipit_Girdle Ness_040621a.jpg
    623.6 KB · Views: 12
  • RT Diver_Girdle Ness_040621a.jpg
    RT Diver_Girdle Ness_040621a.jpg
    650 KB · Views: 12
  • Swallow_Girdle Ness_040621a.jpg
    Swallow_Girdle Ness_040621a.jpg
    512.5 KB · Views: 11
I had a look round the headland this evening in overcast conditions. There was a bit of movement offshore including 4 Puffins and 19 Manx Shearwaters. A Black Guillemot was also on the sea. The drake Goldeneye was still in the harbour.

The Goldeneye was still around this evening. Not too much else about except for a dark phase Arctic Skua going north through Aberdeen Bay. Very little else moving though.

Attachments

• Moorhen_Girdle Ness_080621a.jpg
    Moorhen_Girdle Ness_080621a.jpg
    599.7 KB · Views: 4
  • Goldeneye_Girdle Ness_090621a.jpg
    Goldeneye_Girdle Ness_090621a.jpg
    601.5 KB · Views: 4
Plenty birdsong at St Fitticks Park this morning.However,things are a bit harder to see,with the trees being In full leaf and the vegetation growing and spreading.All the usual suspects were around,such as Sedge Warblers,Reed Buntings,Chaffinch and Goldfinch aplenty.A young Goldfinch was being fed on the grass on the Triangle Football Pitch,a Water Rail was calling near the Concrete Bridge and 5 male Bullfinch were low In the trees at the back of the bridge.
Last weekend,my Nut Feeder had disappeared and there was no sign of It,In the surrounding area.Today,It was the turn of my Fat Ball Feeder to have vanished and again,no sign of It lying around nearbye.Roe Deer ? Unlikely.Kids ? Possible.Adults ? Perhaps a cheap way to enhance their garden ? Who knows but I collected the remaining Feeders and with there being plenty natural food around at the moment,they shall go Into storage until early Autumn,where I shall put them In another area of the Park and away from openings,seen from the paths.

Sorry to hear that your feeders are going missing! I should take this opportunity to thank you for putting them up in the first place - they certainly helped the birds and helped me to enjoy them over the winter. So, Thanks!

Thanks also to BN and the other folks putting feeders up around St Fittick's over recent months.

Today was pretty sultry and the hottest of the year so far in Torry. The drake Goldeneye was still in the harbour. Two Curlews along the north shore were the first for a while and were presumably failed breeders. Successful breeders were the Rock Pipits in Greyhope Bay, who were tending to at least a couple of fledglings. A couple of Redpolls flew south over the golf course and another was around St Fittick's. My first Torry odonata of the year was a female Common Blue Damselfly along the Tullos Burn.

Attachments

• Common Blue Damsel_Girdle Ness_130621a.jpg
    Common Blue Damsel_Girdle Ness_130621a.jpg
    453.3 KB · Views: 6
  • Curlew_Girdle Ness_130621a.jpg
    Curlew_Girdle Ness_130621a.jpg
    752.7 KB · Views: 7
  • Curlew_Girdle Ness_130621b.jpg
    Curlew_Girdle Ness_130621b.jpg
    850.6 KB · Views: 7
  • Curlew_Girdle Ness_130621c.jpg
    Curlew_Girdle Ness_130621c.jpg