• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Birds fae Torry (14 Viewers)

Is this your Merganser? (I'm still learning!) It doesn't have a diffuse border but its beak doesn't look as hooked. Is the white stripe below the eye significant or just means it is a youngun?
Does the white chin mean goosander?
View attachment 1399669

It was on its own and swimming around Skates Nose so it is mostly wishful thinking.
That's a Goosander I'm afraid. The white line indicates a young bird. The head pattern and colour and the body colour are right for Goosander but not for RB Merganser. Mergansers have a paler, more orange-brown head that merges with the slightly more grey-brown body. They also have a spikier crest and are noticeably smaller.

I didn't see the Merganser earlier today, so it may not have been around. I did, however, count 104 Goosanders, which is a site record, I think. Most of them were roosting on the North Pier at low tide, before swimming off into the harbour. Also about were a Whimbrel, three Dunlin and a Black Guillemot.

To be honest, when you only counted 80 odd the other day I did wonder whether I'd overcounted, but now I'm happy I didn't. Just wondering if you're sure you didn't see the merganser though... ;)

To be honest, when you only counted 80 odd the other day I did wonder whether I'd overcounted, but now I'm happy I didn't. Just wondering if you're sure you didn't see the merganser though... ;)
I think they come and go a bit more than we probably realise. There were several down by Victoria Bridge yesterday, so there's probably potential for an even higher count if all areas are checked. I kept a keen eye out for the Merg ;).

Feared as much. Thank you
Don't get me started on whimbrels - coz I don't know where to start! I assume every long-nosed flirt is a curlew. When can I be sure it is something more exciting?
The call is very helpful both for noticing them and identifying them. They're often flyovers but sometimes will settle along the shore and feed for a bit.

I think they come and go a bit more than we probably realise. There were several down by Victoria Bridge yesterday, so there's probably potential for an even higher count if all areas are checked. I kept a keen eye out for the Merg ;).
Just to prove my point, this morning I counted 116 Goosanders 😲😲😲

Not too much else around, although still two Dunlin.

Quite a pleasant day today, although with a brisk southerly breeze. A flock of 16 Canada Geese went north over my flat mid-morning. A 'mere' 98 Goosander were counted. A good selection of waders included a Whimbrel and three Dunlin in Greyhope Bay and two Common Sandpipers along the north shore. 32 Common Terns in Greyhope Bay was a high count. Offshore, there were two Black Guillemots and a Bonxie.

Quite a pleasant day today, although with a brisk southerly breeze. A flock of 16 Canada Geese went north over my flat mid-morning. A 'mere' 98 Goosander were counted. A good selection of waders included a Whimbrel and three Dunlin in Greyhope Bay and two Common Sandpipers along the north shore. 32 Common Terns in Greyhope Bay was a high count. Offshore, there were two Black Guillemots and a Bonxie.
A tern circled me today. And there was a wheatear playing golf for the second day. 1628797683995.png

A breezy evening in Torry made for a fairly interesting walk. The highlight was my second Mediterranean Gull of the autumn, another scaly juvenile. It showed well on the rocks in Greyhope Bay, before being flushed by a fisherman. Waders included eight Knot and four Dunlin. Also at least 22 Common Terns and eight Arctic Terns. Out to sea, an Arctic Skua and Manx Shearwater were among the large numbers of commoner seabirds. 89 Goosander were in the harbour and, among them, were three Goldeneye. 20 Swifts were over Torry at dusk.

Attachments

• Med Gull_Girdle Ness_130821a.jpg
    Med Gull_Girdle Ness_130821a.jpg
    859.9 KB · Views: 8
  • Med Gull_Girdle Ness_130821b.jpg
    Med Gull_Girdle Ness_130821b.jpg
    696.8 KB · Views: 8
I had a look around St Fittick's this morning. It was pretty quiet for birds but I saw a couple each of Speckled Wood and Common Darter. The former seems to be getting more regular here. I also heard a Robin singing for the first time this autumn and there were still 12 Swifts.

An afternoon stroll around the headland was mostly quiet but there were nine Knot (including one flying north), a Black Guillemot, two Arctic Skuas and a Bonxie. Of most note however was a fairly staggering count of 146 Goosander. We seem to be smashing the record every few days.

Attachments

• Curlew_Girdle Ness_140821a.jpg
    Curlew_Girdle Ness_140821a.jpg
    799.1 KB · Views: 3
  • Speckled Wood_Girdle Ness_140821a.jpg
    Speckled Wood_Girdle Ness_140821a.jpg
    542.6 KB · Views: 4
  • Common Darter_Girdle Ness_140821a.jpg
    Common Darter_Girdle Ness_140821a.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 3
There were a few showers when I headed round the headland this afternoon. The Goosander flock was down to 'just' 111. A decent selection of waders included my second Purple Sandpiper of the autumn and a Dunlin in Greyhope Bay and four Knot and two Common Sandpipers below the foghorn. A Black Guillemot was still offshore.

It was a pleasant evening today and I had a good wander round the headland. Exactly 100 Goosanders were counted in the harbour. Waders in Greyhope Bay included a Knot and a Dunlin. Offshore, a Black Guillemot was again among the Eiders and there were three Bonxies lurking out to sea. 28 Swifts were still over Torry at dusk.

I also had a walk around to the headland yesterday evening. (Nice to see you again,Andrew)
The only things I can add to Andrew's list Is,a Common Gulliemot looking out of place on the new Harbour defence wall and on the way back,8 Turnstones looking quite dapper In their summer plumage on the Skates Nose.Over 100 Gannets flying north but sadly,no Bonxies for me. :(

Second corpse in the harbour in the last couple of weeks. 1629223164588.png Eider?
I've not noticed guillemots vocalising before. Are they fledglings pleading for attention? Half a dozen of the on the seaward side of the South Breakwater at 7 this morning.
Five redshanks, three ringed plover (along with the knot and dunlin) on Greyhope rocks and 5 curlew. (Could some of the latter have been whimbrel or don't they land?)
Just Canada geese around at the moment? The ones flying over looked very dark against the morning sky. They didn't honk to say who they were.

Second corpse in the harbour in the last couple of weeks. View attachment 1401045 Eider?
I've not noticed guillemots vocalising before. Are they fledglings pleading for attention? Half a dozen of the on the seaward side of the South Breakwater at 7 this morning.
Five redshanks, three ringed plover (along with the knot and dunlin) on Greyhope rocks and 5 curlew. (Could some of the latter have been whimbrel or don't they land?)
Just Canada geese around at the moment? The ones flying over looked very dark against the morning sky. They didn't honk to say who they were.
  • Probably an Eider from the look of the feet.
  • The sound of young Guillemots begging is almost constant at the moment. There are absolutely hundreds around.
  • Whimbrel sometimes land, although I've not seen any in recent days. Quite a few Curlew are about.
  • I guess Canada Geese are most likely at the moment. It's a bit early for Pink-feet. Greylag might be possible.

I had a walk around the headland in pleasant conditions this evening. Goosander were down to 96. Waders included three Dunlin and two Knot. A seawatch produced 11 Manx Shearwaters, two Bonxies, an Arctic Skua, seven Arctic Terns and three Common Scoters. Two Black Guillemots were on the sea near the foghorn. My first Wheatear of the autumn was on the east end of the golf course.

A cool, blustery evening walk around the headland with the odd light shower was reasonably good. Goosanders were down to 85 in the harbour. Waders included a single Dunlin and a Knot. The main focus was on the sea. Passage included 11 Bonxies, an Arctic Skua, a Puffin and two Arctic Terns. Six Manx Shearwaters included one bird that came into feed at quite close range, among the vast numbers of Guillemots and Kittiwakes. A Black Guillemot was again around.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back