• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Birds fae Torry (3 Viewers)

After yesterday's Totaliser triumph, I turned my attention to Nigg Bay this afternoon. Eight Snipe were in the marsh and I also managed to spring my first Jack Snipe for a few weeks. Other stuff included two Teal, a Redwing and 12 Siskin. A Crossbill was heard calling from the small conifers but couldn't be seen. A showy Mistle Thrush was along Victoria Road.

Attachments

• Mistle Thrush_Girdle Ness_011220a.jpg
    Mistle Thrush_Girdle Ness_011220a.jpg
    199.1 KB · Views: 10
  • Mistle Thrush_Girdle Ness_011220b.jpg
    Mistle Thrush_Girdle Ness_011220b.jpg
    219.2 KB · Views: 10
Hi Cucurrucucu and a warm welcome from met too.

Keep an eye on threads titled something like Scottish Bashes; we try to meet up occasionally and they're always great fun. You'd be most welcome to join us on another if you can manage (and if we're ever allowed to mix again!!)

Another fine day here in Torry. The tide wasn't high enough when I was out to gather all of the Purple Sandpipers together, but there were still at least 257 roosting. The most notable bird was my second north bank Water Rail of the year, calling sharply from the willowherb between the inner two piers before flying up briefly. Presumably a migrant bird.

After some stormy weather, today was mostly bright and cold with fairly light northerly winds. I reckoned things might be happening at sea and that proved correct. For December, there were good numbers of commoner seabirds moving north with 181 Gannets, 104 Kittiwakes, three Fulmars and large numbers of auks. Of more note was a Bonxie heading north at a reasonable distance. Better again were two juvenile Pomarine Skuas, one light and one dark, heading the same way about half-way out. Other birds moving included three Wigeon, two Common Scoter and five Red-throated Divers.

Elsewhere, a male Stonechat was in Greyhope Bay and a Dunlin and 188 Purple Sandpipers were on Skate's Nose.

Another interesting day here in Torry. The weather was mostly quite pleasant, but cool and overcast. In the morning, I had a good look around Nigg Bay. The marshes held three Snipe and two Teal. A very obliging flock of at least 40 Siskins was in the alders. A Great Spotted Woodpecker was calling. As is the fashion these days, a Crossbill flew over and appeared to come from some of the small conifers so was perhaps feeding here. 38 Pink-footed Geese went south and a Mistle Thrush was again on Victoria Road.

An afternoon walk around the headland was productive. I was surprised to see my third Kingfisher of the year on the rocks below the Coo, braving the turbulent water. The bird of the day came last with an excellent adult Iceland Gull on the breakwater at dusk. It soon flew off, only to return and fly into the harbour. It seemed to come down near the Caledonian Oil tanks but had disappeared by the time I got closer.

Attachments

• Bullfinch_Girdle Ness_061220a.jpg
    Bullfinch_Girdle Ness_061220a.jpg
    97 KB · Views: 19
  • Moorhen_Girdle Ness_061220a.jpg
    Moorhen_Girdle Ness_061220a.jpg
    204.4 KB · Views: 16
  • Iceland Gull_Girdle Ness_061220b.jpg
    Iceland Gull_Girdle Ness_061220b.jpg
    106.1 KB · Views: 20
  • Iceland Gull_Girdle Ness_061220a.jpg
    Iceland Gull_Girdle Ness_061220a.jpg
    104.6 KB · Views: 16
Who decided it was necessary, not just to remove but poison all the trees and bushes on Greyhope Rd? They were often filled with little feathered bodies making the most of the shelter and food they provided. Is there an irony that the ~last stand of trees on the harbour WAS directly across the road from SEPA and JNCC? Could/should we try a spot of Guerrilla Gardening?

Who decided it was necessary, not just to remove but poison all the trees and bushes on Greyhope Rd? They were often filled with little feathered bodies making the most of the shelter and food they provided. Is there an irony that the ~last stand of trees on the harbour WAS directly across the road from SEPA and JNCC? Could/should we try a spot of Guerrilla Gardening?
Do you mean the ones right above the shore alongside the road? There's an annoying tendency for getting rid of a lot of the cover around Torry (e.g. the removal of scrub on the waste ground on Abbey Road or the mound by Baxter Place) that's often been good for birds and other wildlife. Maybe a bit of Guerilla Gardening would be in order!

The weather was pretty bleak today and I only got out for a short time in the afternoon. A second Iceland Gull, this time a juvenile, had been reported earlier in the day and I was pleased to see it nicely on the breakwater. It's influx o'clock!

Attachments

• Iceland Gull_Girdle Ness_071220a.jpg
    Iceland Gull_Girdle Ness_071220a.jpg
    138.8 KB · Views: 13
  • Iceland Gull_Girdle Ness_071220b.jpg
    Iceland Gull_Girdle Ness_071220b.jpg
    151.4 KB · Views: 12
  • Iceland Gull_Girdle Ness_071220c.jpg
    Iceland Gull_Girdle Ness_071220c.jpg
    160.6 KB · Views: 12
What do we do about the clearing of the open ground below Abbey Road? (We first talked while you were watching a ring ouzel there.)
This yea's fox family has been photographed by many people. Long wondered if the local badger and hedgehogs have digs there.
I've emailed the Council's Chief Executive, Angela Scott [email protected] in the hope she can stop any more damage but so much of it has been felled already.
How do we stop it?!
T

What do we do about the clearing of the open ground below Abbey Road? (We first talked while you were watching a ring ouzel there.)
This yea's fox family has been photographed by many people. Long wondered if the local badger and hedgehogs have digs there.
I've emailed the Council's Chief Executive, Angela Scott [email protected] in the hope she can stop any more damage but so much of it has been felled already.
How do we stop it?!
T
They seem to be doing more work there at the moment. I've no idea what for or what the current plans are for this area. Thanks for the email address. I might drop her a line.

They seem to be doing more work there at the moment. I've no idea what for or what the current plans are for this area. Thanks for the email address. I might drop her a line.
Will lobby to stop it happening again in a year or so. I fear for our hedgehogs. The boss said he had done a "walk round" but hadn't looked under any of the wood piles before the heavy machinery moved in.
Have you seen this? https://consultation.aberdeencity.gov.uk/planning/external-transportation-links-and-wellington-road/
They know who had put in submissions before but didn't tell us. It closes on the 16th of December. Are we going to lose St Fittick's?
At least the goosanders are in their Sunday best all the time now.
20,12,9 goosanders 2 .jpg
T

It's a bit quiet in Torry at the moment and I've not been able to get out everyday due to a combination of work and bad weather. I did get out this morning in very pleasant weather, however. A look around Nigg Bay was fairly good. The highlight was the burgeoning gathering of Crossbills. 11 were seen in various small groups, including one of three birds (two male and a female) that gave 'best ever patch views' in the willows along the Tullos Burn. I think these are the first I've ever seen on the deck here. I also had a good view of a Water Rail in the marsh and there were four Snipe, a Goldcrest and two Bullfinches.

Attachments

• Crossbill_Girdle Ness_171220a.jpg
    Crossbill_Girdle Ness_171220a.jpg
    94.7 KB · Views: 8
Things were quiet around the headline this afternoon but once again it was the Purple Sandpiper Totaliser that stole the show:

Outta sight! It looks like the big three double O could soon be on the cards. Stay tuned.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back