• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Birds fae Torry (6 Viewers)

The wind dropped this afternoon, which made for a much more pleasant walk around the headland even though it was still quite chilly. A juvenile Iceland Gull was again present in Nigg Bay, showing quite well along the western shore. Four Sandwich Terns went north and a Harbour Porpoise was seen out to sea. Rounding things off very well was a hungry Otter along the north shore below the allotments. It seemed to be pulling up small fish almost constantly.

Attachments

• Iceland Gull_Girdle Ness_070421a.jpg
    Iceland Gull_Girdle Ness_070421a.jpg
    171.8 KB · Views: 10
  • Iceland Gull_Girdle Ness_070421b.jpg
    Iceland Gull_Girdle Ness_070421b.jpg
    140.7 KB · Views: 10
  • Iceland Gull_Girdle Ness_070421c.jpg
    Iceland Gull_Girdle Ness_070421c.jpg
    272 KB · Views: 10
  • Otter_Girdle Ness_070421a.jpg
    Otter_Girdle Ness_070421a.jpg
    327.1 KB · Views: 10
I had a reasonable look around today, in slightly warmer but breezy conditions. St Fittick's in the morning held three Teal, a Water Rail, two Snipe and four Chiffchaffs. Despite the cold weather, a brood of ten Mallard ducklings was in the marsh. Earlier, a Peregrine was seen over the city.

I went round the headland in the evening. A Raven was picked out over Tullos Hill. Offshore, a Sandwich Tern went north and a Shelduck south.

You lot had any snow today up there? It's tried once or twice here, but looking a bit more serious just now.

It was fairly dry here today, but there was the odd flurry of snowy-type-stuff. Nothing major, although it was pretty cold again.

An Iceland Gull was in Nigg Bay again this evening. It looks like a different individual to the one two days ago. Not much else doing.

Attachments

• Iceland Gull_Girdle Ness_090421a.jpg
    Iceland Gull_Girdle Ness_090421a.jpg
    265.5 KB · Views: 10
  • Iceland Gull_Girdle Ness_090421b.jpg
    Iceland Gull_Girdle Ness_090421b.jpg
    300.5 KB · Views: 10
I was out for quite a while today, in mostly sunny but cool conditions. It was okay without being particularly exceptional. St Fittick's in the morning held the usual suspects: four Teal, a Snipe, a Water Rail and six singing Chiffchaffs. A look around the headland produced a brief Wheatear and a Sandwich Tern north. Five Long-tailed Ducks were flying over Aberdeen Bay. There were thousands of gulls around but nothing of note was among them.

I headed around the headland again in the evening. There seemed to have been an influx of Wheatears, with four (three males and a female) present at the east end of the golf course.

I had quite a lengthy look around today. There was probably bit less on offer than yesterday. St Fittick's held the usual: three Teal, a Snipe, a Water Rail. There were again huge numbers of gulls offshore, but I didn't find anything of note among them. Five Common Scoters and two Sandwich Terns went north. A Long-tailed Duck was near the North Pier. 200 Purple Sandpipers were roosting. Also saw an Otter again along the north shore.

Last edited:
It felt almost cold enough today for penguins, although I didn't manage any. Two Wheatears were at the eastern end of the golf course. There were still large numbers of gulls feeding offshore - today, mostly off the end of the Ness. Seven Red-throated Divers, a Sandwich Tern and a Common Scoter went north.

A fine but cool day today. A Shelduck was picked out from home, going south. A fairly thorough look round St Fittick's was mostly quiet. The most notable sighting was of a Mistle Thrush, hopping about near the old church. This was, I think, my first ever spring record of the species here. I wonder what it was doing. Otherwise there wasn't much: a Snipe, a calling Water Rail and a couple of Sand Martins. No new warblers or migrants were in, but they probably aren't far away.

Another fine day, with slightly warmer temperatures. I had a good look round this morning. The only new summer migrant was a Swallow, swooping about the north side of the headland. Otherwise, there wasn't that much happening: two Sand Martins and three Sandwich Terns on the headland and two Water Rails and a Snipe at St Fittick's.

It's still slow going here. I had a good look around St Fittick's this morning. Two Water Rails calling, a couple of Sand Martins and a Snipe were the best of it around the marsh. Eventually I found a singing Willow Warbler - my first of the year. It was in the same area I saw my first last year, between the water works and the marsh.

I had a quick walk around St Fitticks Park this morning.Mostly,the usual stuff around but plenty of song from the Chaffinch,Chiffchaffs and a Willow Warbler.The Water Rail were doing their best Pig Impressions from the reeds beside the Wooden Bridge but I was delighted to see two Common Snipe.One at the back of the Pond and another near the Wooden Bridge.No sign of the Mallard ducklings,so not sure If they have survived.

Screenshot 2021-04-19 at 22.25.58.png At least ducklings six survived the snow.
WALK 21,4,17 willow warbler - Phylloscopus sibilatrix, Forest Lane, harbour+St F's 1.JPG Happy with Saturday's picture but needed the video with sound to identify this as a willow warbler. Is that right? There was a chiffchaff sounding off nearby.

Hard to be sure with the warbler, although Willow looks a better bet from what can be seen. There were two broods of Mallard in the marsh today.

Yesterday afternoon I had a look around the headland. It was pretty quiet but there were four Wheatears in Greyhope Bay. One was quite extensively orange on the underparts, so perhaps a Greenland. 97 Purple Sandpipers were on the rocks below the foghorn.

I went around St Fittick's during the middle of the day today. In addition to the Mallard ducklings, I also saw my first Moorhen chicks of the year. Six Willow Warblers were singing but there wasn't much sign of any other summer arrivals. A single Snipe was a lingering sign of winter.

Attachments

• Wheatear_Girdle Ness_200421a.jpg
    Wheatear_Girdle Ness_200421a.jpg
    474.5 KB · Views: 11
  • Wheatear_Girdle Ness_200421b.jpg
    Wheatear_Girdle Ness_200421b.jpg
    259.2 KB · Views: 11
I popped out to St Fittick's around dusk this evening. Three Snipe were still around, one sitting very close to the path. Things were quiet otherwise, although a couple of small bats (presumably Pipistrelles of some kind) were flying about.

Attachments

• Snipe_Girdle Ness_220421a.jpg
    Snipe_Girdle Ness_220421a.jpg
    287.2 KB · Views: 7
I had an early morning visit to St Fitticks Park today,In glorious Spring sunshine.The place was alive with birdsong,with Willow Warblers,Wrens,Chiffchaff and Chaffinch around every bend.The Mallard still has some ducklings and the lower Moorhen numbers suggest,nests are being sat upon.Reed Buntings were around my feet at the Pond and two Roe Deer ran across the Path In front of me.Pied Wagtail,Goldfinch,Greenfinch also around.Nothing rare or of particular Interest was seen but It was just a joy being there.

I had a good look around today, in pleasant but fairly cool weather. The morning was spent around St Fittick's. There were large numbers of Willow Warblers around, with 21 being counted. At least two Blackcaps were also singing along the railway embankment. My first Yellowhammer of the year was also about and I saw a Water Rail from the concrete bridge for the first time in a while.

Late afternoon I headed around the headland. At least two Swallows were around and there were three Wheatears at the east end of the golf course. Offshore there were plenty of birds drifting about. Of most note were three Manx Shearwaters heading north, one of which dropped down onto the sea. My first Common Tern of the year was also fishing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back