• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Birds from Nilgiris, South India (3 Viewers)

Amsdoc

Few birds from the Nilgiri hills in Southern India.
1) Some chat but cant find exact match in any of my books. Had a very prominent white wing patch.
2) No idea...Tickells Thrush?
3) Some flycatcher but very dark?
4)Juvenile blackbird? or some Thrush?
5) Streak throated or Scaly bellied?

Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_7194.JPG
    IMG_7194.JPG
    802.4 KB · Views: 57
  • IMG_7278.JPG
    IMG_7278.JPG
    910.6 KB · Views: 73
  • IMG_7327.JPG
    IMG_7327.JPG
    823.3 KB · Views: 56
  • IMG_7331.JPG
    IMG_7331.JPG
    921.7 KB · Views: 54
  • IMG_7286.JPG
    IMG_7286.JPG
    247.2 KB · Views: 44
I had a good look at this image yesterday, and have tried to adjust it (see attachment), but still can't come to a firm conclusion. The strong light playing on the face (and reflected in the bird's eye) makes it hard to get an idea of the head pattern. It looks like a thrush with mid-brown upperparts, mottled grey-brown underparts, and a dark (could be shadow though) tail. It could be Tickell's Thrush, but I'm not getting an impression of a malar stripe or breast streaking. Does it even occur there? I guess the other possibility is Indian Blackbird, but the bill looks too thin to me, and I can't really make out a yellow eye-ring. Perhaps it's just not identifiable.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2017-05-10 at 6.46.34 am.pdf
    828.2 KB · Views: 28
Thanks mate. Same conundrum here. Tickell's Thrush does exist in that region but generally is a winter migrant. Also the bluish wash under wing was a bit confusing. Thanks for trying.

My impression of this bird is that it is too small for a thrush. The structure also doesn't look right - bill too slender, legs too short, tail too long.

I'm not at all sure what it is though. A juvenile chat or Indian Robin maybe?

You beat me to it! That would explain the scaly underparts. And the very slight hook to the bill.

Last edited:
There were loads of the Juvenile pied bush chats around there, like in pic 1, which confused me but number 2 was definitely a bigger bird than those.
Bad photo doesnt help!
Thanks guys

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back