• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Birds from Rochon Sands Provincial Park (Alberta) (1 Viewer)

AdamfromCanada

All these photos were taken today.

1) I am guessing with the length of the bill, this has to be a female Northern Shoveler?

2) Small non-breeding grebe...eared or horned? A birder at the lake suggested they were pie-billed grebes, but the photo doesn't look at all like the pie-bills in the books.

3) I'm guessing this is a juvenile American Coot?

4) I am thinking maybe this is a vireo of some sort? Flitted back and forth near me as I stood on a long sand spit.

Attachments

• Female Northern Shoveler (small).jpg
    Female Northern Shoveler (small).jpg
    116.8 KB · Views: 76
  • Grebes (small).jpg
    Grebes (small).jpg
    148.2 KB · Views: 92
  • Juvenile American Coot (small).jpg
    Juvenile American Coot (small).jpg
    107.1 KB · Views: 76
  • Vireo (small).jpg
    Vireo (small).jpg
    126.4 KB · Views: 89
I'm relatively confident this is the same bird, and that it is a juvenile tern...which tern, I can't tell though. Also from Rochon Sands Provincial Park today.

Although upon further reading, could be juvenile Bonaparte's Gull...

Attachments

• IMGP5511small.jpg
    IMGP5511small.jpg
    134.4 KB · Views: 53
  • IMGP5550small.jpg
    IMGP5550small.jpg
    97.4 KB · Views: 58
Last edited:
1. yes, northern shoveler
2. horned grebe (straight thick bill, angular head shape, white on cheeks sharply divided from black cap)
3. first winter american coot
4. american (buff-bellied) pipit
5. adult winter bonaparte's gull

best,

1. yes, northern shoveler
2. horned grebe (straight thick bill, angular head shape, white on cheeks sharply divided from black cap)
3. first winter american coot
4. american (buff-bellied) pipit
5. adult winter bonaparte's gull

best,

Thank you, although with the pipit is it more likely the Sprague's Pipit? Central Alberta looks to be out of the normal range for the American Pipit.

I see no problems with seeing Am. Pipit in Central Alberta. It's a migratory species after all. They are attracted to water sources. Sprague's is a pure prairie species.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back