• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Birds (goldfinch) coming to drink but not eat? (1 Viewer)

LeeUK2020

I've had my feeder up for over 2 months, and have a variety of birds come to feed. I have sunflower hearts and niger seeds, hoping to attract goldfinches. Behold, 2 months later they have (I think) set up nest in my neighbour's garden, out of sight for me but they fly past my garden hundreds of times every day. They come down for a drink at my water bath in the morning and evenings, and they've perched on the feeding station but they've never eaten anything. The sunflower hearts are fresh and very popular, can anyone tell me what is going on and how I can get them to come and eat?

Are there any cats about? goldfinches tend to be nervous, also they like a bit of cover to fly to if a predator appears.

Are there any cats about? goldfinches tend to be nervous, also they like a bit of cover to fly to if a predator appears.

No cats, just me who works next to the window facing the garden. The feeders are a few metres from cover, none of the other small birds have a problem with it. The goldfinches fly to and fro usually over my garden so I'm a bit confused why they'd go further for food all the time... Any tips or just a waiting game?

I can't be sure that they're nesting, but they always return to the same tree and wait a short while before flying off again so that's my best guess

Think so Lee, I think also they like niger seeds more than anything else, so maybe promote them more.

Patience is the key. Different species have different behaviour, some confident, some shy. Also some breeding species change feeding habits and stratergies during the year. Read up on post breeding dispersal where some familiar types will head off to woodlands in family and or social groups. All you can do is provide fresh water, regular good quality food ( a variety helps ) and clean the feeders as appropriate.

A fortnight ago, several goldfinches taking sunflower hearts...... this week nothing, though I can hear them calling and singing in the neighbouring trees.

Good luck

Steve is right, Lee, goldfinches like niger seed. They only visit the niger feeder in our garden.

Y'all should be aware that shelled sunflower seeds are generally rancid and toxic. Pure garbage. I've read Udo Erasmus' bible on fats and oils, and know of what I speak. :) Keep it in the shell.
I have a similar story with chickadees (Meise in german - and "to have a Meise" is a fun saying meaning "to be a nutter" here). I put out sunnies for them behind my girlfriend's apartment in a hanging feeder, in plain sight where they are active, but they won't touch them. A couple blocks away at her friend's place, we hung two up and the birds find and eat them readily. Strange.

Last edited:
I have given out sunflower hearts in the past that are unsalted, for human consumption from the local grocery store. Yes, of course that is expensive, but I only add small amounts to the open tray feeders. I load up the open tray feeders with a few different varieties of nuts, seeds, dried mealworms, suet nuggets, and dried cherries for the birds to eat.

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back