• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Birds id help - Nilgiris, South India - 2 (1 Viewer)

ajayr

Hi,

Please help id-ing the below species. All images were taken last week in Nilgiris, South India.

3) Black eagle?
4) Pied bushchat?
5) Tickell's leaf warbler?

Thanks
Ajay

Attachments

• 6.JPG
    6.JPG
    603.6 KB · Views: 47
  • 7.JPG
    7.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 45
  • 8.jpg
    8.jpg
    49.6 KB · Views: 38
  • 9.JPG
    9.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 42
  • 10.JPG
    10.JPG
    481.8 KB · Views: 64
Not sure about no. 1 - one of the Greenish complex?

I think no.2 could also be Pied Bushchat - they can have a slight brow.

Agree with nos. 3 & 4. Agree also with Tickell's Leaf for no. 5, as Sulphur-bellied doesn't seem to occur there.

Not sure about no. 1 - one of the Greenish complex?

I think no.2 could also be Pied Bushchat - they can have a slight brow.

Agree with nos. 3 & 4. Agree also with Tickell's Leaf for no. 5, as Sulphur-bellied doesn't seem to occur there.

I was looking this up.

1) I read that for greenish warblers, the supercilium extends onto the forehead while for the green warbler, it is yellower than in Greenish Warbler and ends just before the bill. This one appears to have its super ending before the bill and it doesn't seem yellow enough. Could this be some other species (though it appears unlikely)?

5) I realised it could be the large-billed leaf warbler, and the range appears to be one where it is common too.

Thanks
Ajay

5) I realised it could be the large-billed leaf warbler, and the range appears to be one where it is common too.

Surely it's much too yellow on the face and underparts.

Surely it's much too yellow on the face and underparts.

I too felt the same initially. But the bill was a niggle as I kept feeling it just didn't fit a Tickell's leaf warbler. And then I saw some pics of the species from India with yellow face/underparts which made me believe this is a large-billed leaf warbler. Shall be happy to be corrected.

https://macaulaylibrary.org/asset/122283051#_ga=2.61409386.756281308.1546677601-54785739.1505322542

https://macaulaylibrary.org/asset/126016791#_ga=2.30928121.756281308.1546677601-54785739.1505322542

http://orientalbirdimages.org/search.php?Bird_ID=1799&Bird_Image_ID=77452

Sincerely appreciate your help on this.

Cheers,
Ajay

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back