• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Birds id help - Tamilnadu, South India (2 Viewers)

ajayr

Hi,

I've some pics and recordings of some birds. All were taken/recorded last week in the Western ghats in south India (near Kodaikanal, Tamilnadu). Would really appreciate any help in ID-in them.

1) Are all the birds in pics the same species? Hill swallow? They were seen together.

Calls: Any guidance on even a genus level would be very helpful.

2) Bird with monosyllabic whistling call.

3) Bird with trisyllabic whistling call.

Thanks
Ajay

Attachments

• ID 1.JPG
    ID 1.JPG
    49.4 KB · Views: 24
  • ID 2.JPG
    ID 2.JPG
    90.7 KB · Views: 36
  • ID 3.JPG
    ID 3.JPG
    83 KB · Views: 26
  • To ID 2.wav
    1.5 MB · Views: 13
  • To ID 4.wav
    1 MB · Views: 12
The hirundines in the images can't be Hill Swallows, which lack dark underwing-coverts. One species which does is Asian House Martin, but it would surely be out of range.

The hirundines in the images can't be Hill Swallows, which lack dark underwing-coverts. One species which does is Asian House Martin, but it would surely be out of range.

Thanks. That was bothering me too. I'm now leaning towards little swifts that are common here.

Thanks. That was bothering me too. I'm now leaning towards little swifts that are common here.

Its definitely a Delichon and not an Apus but the images are not sharp enough to ID to species with any degree of certainty IMO. The apparently contrasting dark underwing coverts point toward AHM but this may be due to artefact. Further, the tail is too forked for that species but there appear to several missing several retrices which could explain the anomaly. A pity because it could be a significant record but best left unidentified.

Grahame

Its definitely a Delichon and not an Apus but the images are not sharp enough to ID to species with any degree of certainty IMO. The apparently contrasting dark underwing coverts point toward AHM but this may be due to artefact. Further, the tail is too forked for that species but there appear to several missing several retrices which could explain the anomaly. A pity because it could be a significant record but best left unidentified.

Grahame

This is really helpful. Thanks very much, Grahame. I'll keep the id at the genus level.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back