• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Birds in Christmas Trees (1 Viewer)

Deb Burhinus

Used to be well known! 😎
Europe
Just saw this today

It reminded me of another bird in a Christmas tree some years ago. Carol singing in the local Church one Christmas Eve afternoon and I spotted some movement in the enormous Christmas Tree set up in front of the chancel steps - it was a Robin! It seemed quite at home in the Tree, staying for a few days, feasting on flies and spiders high up in the vaulted ceiling that no one ever cleaned. The day after Boxing Day, the vicar left the doors wide open all day and it flew out (after I had suggested the alternative should be to leave the lid off the font so it could drink and bathe 😁)

Personally, I have a really hard time with birds flying around indoors - it freaks me out a bit for some reason but when they have set up camp in a Christmas Tree, it‘s rather charming...

There was a Northern Saw-whet Owl that arrived in the Rockefeller Center Christmas tree this year. Spent a few days in Rehab and then returned to the wild.

There was a Northern Saw-whet Owl that arrived in the Rockefeller Center Christmas tree this year. Spent a few days in Rehab and then returned to the wild.
A very neat thread!

I remember a story last year that mentioned an Eastern Screech-owl in the same predicament, though in this case it wasn't discovered until the tree was set up indoors!

I did see a partridge quite close to a pear tree once, though it was summer time and it didn't oblige by actually perching in the tree.

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back