• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Birds in Germany--Taunus (1 Viewer)

Tom St

All observed in April 2021 in the Taunus region.

1) Is this falcon ID-able from the photo?
2) Which of the Redstarts is this?
3) Probably song thrush?
4) Probably song thrush?
5+6) Same bird on those two photos. Could be a flycatcher, or something really common that I am missing here.

Thanks for any help.

Attachments

• falcon.JPG
    falcon.JPG
    85.6 KB · Views: 81
  • redstart.JPG
    redstart.JPG
    117.3 KB · Views: 79
  • thrush_1.JPG
    thrush_1.JPG
    84.1 KB · Views: 69
  • thrush_2.JPG
    thrush_2.JPG
    84.8 KB · Views: 66
  • unknown_a.JPG
    unknown_a.JPG
    118.2 KB · Views: 71
  • unknown_b.JPG
    unknown_b.JPG
    268.8 KB · Views: 81
1. looks Wood Pigeon to me but very difficult to be sure
2. again difficult, Common would be my guess
3. + 4. Song Thrush indeed
5. + 6. look at bill, typical of buntings, so a Yellowhammer

Agree with Tom about picture 1, 4, 5 and 6.
Are there more pictures of 2 and 3?
I get the feeling that 2 might be a Black Redstart by colour of upperparts and face doesnt look open enough for me.
And, although, I would ID picture 2 as a Song Thrush in quiz modus, I cant loose the feeling, that it might be a pitfal picture of a Woodlark.

@Tom and Lou: I only caught a glimpse (and this one photo) of 1., so it may well be pigeon/dove. 😅 It was in the same place I had spotted a falcon earlier, so I was easily fooled.
@Alexander: unfortunately, I don't have any extra pictures of 2. and 3.

about the first bird: I agree with both of you, that it may be better to leave this bird unidentified . I suspected that the contrasting blackish trailing edge on the underwing of a Stock Dove would be visible here, same with a wild type coloured Feral Pigeon, and I must admit when Tom says it might be a Wood Pigeon or Lou says iit might be a Stock Dove, than thats quite a good feature, nearly a field mark. I hope this doesn’t come out as an offense, I agree with both of you, that is one of those

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back