• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

birds in Phuket in June (1 Viewer)

sandrinhalee

bird happy
Hello all,
Could you help me ID these simple birds from Phuket? Thanks!

Attachments

• sea.jpg
    sea.jpg
    40.2 KB · Views: 126
  • crow.jpg
    crow.jpg
    75.8 KB · Views: 113
  • crow2.jpg
    crow2.jpg
    12.4 KB · Views: 114
  • egret.jpg
    egret.jpg
    50.8 KB · Views: 102
  • swallow.jpg
    swallow.jpg
    18 KB · Views: 118
Which do people think the swallow is, barn swallow or pacific? What are the distinguishing features between the two? I do have more pics of it.

Personally think Pacific, should have specified better!!
The best feature is tail length, markings on vent and the lack of a blue breastband below the chestnut colouring. Your pic could go either way on the breastband as there looks like a hint of blue but that could be a discoloration caused by shadows and raised chestnut feathers!! Another pic of the front would be good to be 100%
Also not sure on the summer status of Barn in Thailand offhand - could be another pointer

!. Look like dark morph Reef Egrets
2. Large/billed Crows (Carrion Crow not to be found in Thailand)
3. Can't say but Rook is dosn't excist in Thailand.
4.Little Egret (yellow feet visible)
5.Barn Swallow

1. Pacific Reef Egret and Black-naped Terns (I'm pretty sure Western doesn't even occur in Thailand)
2. & 3. Large-billed Crow (only other species of Crow in Phuket is House Crow, which is very rare).
4. Little Egret
5. definetly Pacific Swallow, Barn Swallow has black breast band and less "red" in "head"

The swallow is problematic. I see a trace of breastband, and Asian Barn Swallows have a broken, not a solid, breastband. But the red of the forehead seems a little less extensive than I would expect for Barn. Furthermore, Barn Swallows only winter in Thailand and would not be expected in Phuket in June. But I have seen them in Khorat in May, so perhaps their range is more southerly than the guides indicate. On balance, I'd opt for Pacific.

The swallow is problematic. I see a trace of breastband, and Asian Barn Swallows have a broken, not a solid, breastband. But the red of the forehead seems a little less extensive than I would expect for Barn. Furthermore, Barn Swallows only winter in Thailand and would not be expected in Phuket in June. But I have seen them in Khorat in May, so perhaps their range is more southerly than the guides indicate. On balance, I'd opt for Pacific.

The dusky flanks are a useful feature of Pacific in this case.

Dave

PS I saw 30 Barn Swallows last week in south Peninsular Malaysia, so cannot be ruled out on timing alone.

Sorry for the delay in posting these pictures up. Here are more of the barn/pacific swallow, one with a better look at its breast.

Attachments

• IMGP2883.jpg
    IMGP2883.jpg
    31.5 KB · Views: 51
  • swallow2.jpg
    swallow2.jpg
    30.7 KB · Views: 55
  • IMGP2937.jpg
    IMGP2937.jpg
    14.7 KB · Views: 58
Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back