• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

birds in Uxbridge, Ontario? (1 Viewer)

Paul Collins

Hi,

I'm visiting Uxbridge for 10 days in the first half of June and was wondering if anyone could give me any pointers on lakes/ponds/parks/trails to visit around Uxbridge. I will have use of a car, although I plan just to do most of my birding early morning around the local area (since I'm staying with non-birding friends!).

I'm not looking for any particular species, although it would be nice to see orioles and warblers especially. What sort of wildlife should I be able to see in the average outer-Uxbridge garden?

Thanks for your help in advance,

Paul

Just in town behind Walmart is the Countryside Preserve, which is a great spot for all sorts of stuff, There you can get most of your field birds: Indigo Bunting, Field, Grasshopper, Clay-coloured Sparrows, Bluebirds, Kingbirds, Black-billed Cuckoo etc., plus some warblers, orioles, Broad-winged Hawks, Pewees, and other stuff. To get there you just drive to the Walmart (on your right on Highway 47 coming into town, or on the left coming from town by Toronto Street). Behind the Walmart beside the Rona there's a parking lot and a map of the trials there.

Another decent spot is the Beaver River Marsh, which is a 10 minute drive northeast of town. Taking Highway 47 east out of Uxbridge, you take a left on Lakeridge rd an head north until Scugog Line 12. Take a right there, and you can follow that down until the abandoned railway line that crosses the road. Park there and walk up the trail north towards Blue Mountain Rd. The marsh is a pretty good one, with Sora, Virginia Rail and Moorhen, both American and Least Bittern, Northern Harrier, Sandhill Cranes, Wood Ducks, Trumpeter Swans, and lots more marsh birds. It's best to hit this spot in the evening at maybe 8:00 or a bit earlier when everything is calling.

For wildlife, keep an eye out for White-tailed eer when driving around outside Uxbridge, as well as for Wild Turkey in the fields.

Hope this is helpful,
Mark

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back