• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Birds named after rivers (1 Viewer)

Aye, it's a great pair of books! Have you got to the double glazing yet, and the ice breakup on the Yenesey? Incredible - something I'd really like to see!

No, I'm still in the first book. It really requires a trigger warning though, as they seem to spend much of their time shooting birds.

If you want to see spring breakup on the Yenisei, best to go soon. The date of spring breakup in Dawson City on the Yukon River is getting earlier every year and the breakup is less and less exciting. I don't know if it's easier to get to Dawson City or Krasnoyarsk.

From breakup to 'fake-up'

As I understand it, the European "discoverers" thought it was a river and named it as such, but in fact it was the entry to Guanabara Bay.
As per my post #46
"Rio" was a word used both for river, inlet and bay, there was no clear nomenclatural distinction at the time. "Ria" is still used in places, both in Portugal and places in Spain (Galicia) with such sense. They clearly had more than enough time to verify there obviously was no "river", as in fact they were mapping the area (putting places in the map would be a better description than "to discover", in the same way as "describing new species" is better than "discovering new species"). So that's really a popular, yet clearly implausible, explanation for the name's origin, one that has been dismissed several times.

A few more Amazon river tributaries, or tributaries of Amazon tributaries:

Xingu Scale-backed Antbird
Napo Sabrewing
Jurua Woodcreeper
Purus Jacamar
Caquetà Seedeater
Maranon Thrush
Huallaga Tanager
Araguaia Spinetail

Awaiting splits/description: 'Mantaro' Wren, 'Beni' Softtail

And yes, Stygian Owl wins hands down!

Here is my greatest shame as I have Napo Sabrewing, I rode boats on the river Napo, but did not realize it!!!

quote dantheman, Cornwall:
Stygian Owl: is this where we discover those who amongst us enjoyed a more classical education?!

Could be, this one fits in here: athesiensis (Garrulus glandarius): Athesis = Latin for Adige, river in the Alps.

Europe might deserve a better ranking: danubialis (Falco), danuvii (Phalacrocorax carbo) for the Danube
rhenanus (Poecile montanus), rhenana (Tetrastes bonasia) for good old Father Rhine . . .

Here are some more "running water eponyms" for the lists:
gangeticus (Otus bakkamoena), gangetica (Prinia/Suya sylvarica) for the Ganges, India
ilensis (Acrocephalus, Podoces panderi), iliensis (Parus/poecile bokharensis): Ili River, Sinkiang, China
agusanae (Hypothymis helenae): Agusan River, Mindanao, Philippine Islands
aicora (Meliphaga montana): Aicora River, Terr.Papua
gascoynensis (Coracina): Gascoyne River, W Australia
abariensis (Pachysylvia, Planesticus fumigatus): Abary River, British Guyana
ivahensis (Crotophaga major): Rio Ivahy, Brazil (if that's a river, read Rafael's explanations, to Port. "rio")

There might be a few more; besides, I did not check the validity of bird or river names (might be obsolete).
Enjoy, sail or row along!
Jan van der Brugge

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back