• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Birds not nesting (1 Viewer)

EddieTheMan

Hi,
I’ve had a small garden where I’ve lived for 3 years. I’ve tried everything to get birds nesting but no luck.
I have 3 nest boxes, 2 about 25 feet apart, for tits, and 1 open front low down for robins.
I have blue tits, long tailed tits great tits and robin come to feed, but they take no interest in the boxes. I usually take the bird feeder away about this time of year, but it doesn’t seem to help.
I think the fact that there are quite a few cats in the area may be a factor.
Any advice would be appreciated.

Welcome to BF Eddie, I think I read somewhere that it may have something to do with which way they are facing?

Hi Eddie and a warm welcome from me too.

Steve could well be correct about the way the boxes face, i.e. with the opening not facing southwards into the afternoon sun. Also they like somewhere to perch before entering the box, like shrubs and trees a few metres away, so they can check for predators first, and the fledglings have somewhere safe to go when they leave.

You might like to post in the Garden Bird forum, with, maybe a picture of your garden where the boxes are. They will no doubt be able to give you more advice.

The adults do like to have things like mealworms that they can feed up on before hunting for food for their youngsters.

I'm sure you will enjoy it here and I hope to hear about all the birds you see when out and about.

Welcome to Birdforum! I'm sure you'll find lots to interest you here, and I hope you enjoy your visits.

Steve is right; nest boxes should face south east so they get the warmth of the morning sun, but not the heat of midday or afternoon sun. They should be placed 2-4 metres from the ground and near the cover of trees, bushes, shrubs. I wonder why you remove the bird feeder? We leave our feeders up all year round.

Welcome aboard Eddie! Make sure the entrance to the bird boxes are all facing east. That keeps them cooler in the afternoon sun position. ;)

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back