• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Birds of 2020 (1 Viewer)

G

Gleb Berloff

Well it's nearly the end of the year now-again. The year flew by surprisingly quickly. Most would say it was effectively ruined by the virus, and it was for me, amongst other things. But some of the times of the year were exceptionally nice, and this was actually my favourite year because of these nice times despite the year having some awful moments.
Below is a comprehensive list of what I was able to see out of birds this year, including the place where I saw the birds.
Barn owl- RSPB Lakenheath Fen (1 bird hunting and perching near visitor center)
Crane- RSPB Lakenheath Fen (2 birds grazing in a nearby field performing short flights at the far end of the reserve)
Buzzard- Basically everywhere, including the city center
Bearded reedling- RSPB Lakenheath Fen (Joist fen)
Water rail- RSPB Lakenheath Fen (Photography hide)
Wren- RSPB Lakenheath Fen (Photography hide)
Great white egret- RSPB Lakenheath Fen (Joist fen)
Marsh harrier- RSPB Lakenheath Fen (Basically everywhere)
Bittern- RSPB Lakenheath Fen (In flight over Joist fen)
Hen harrier- Wicken Fen NT (Two birds seen, one male and one female from visitor center)
Sparrowhawk- Wicken Fen NT (Burwell Fen)
Short-eared owl- Wicken Fen NT (At least two birds, Burwell Fen. Departed in February possibly due to extremely high winds)
Whooper swan- Wicken Fen NT (Burwell Fen lake)
Marsh harrier -Wicken Fen NT (These get everywhere when darkness is falling)
Kestrel- Wicken Fen NT (Everywhere)
Peregrine falcon- Cambridge (Famous pair in city center)
Barn owl- On the train from Bristol to London (multiple birds)
Golden eagle- Sierra del Maigmo
Bonelli’s eagle- Castalla
Griffon vulture- Barranc del Sinc
Peregrine falcon- Barranc del Sinc (Alcoy)
Great spotted woodpecker- Cambridge
Green woodpecker- Cambridge
Red-legged partridge- Cambridge
Pheasant- Cambridge
Young peregrine falcons- Cambridge
Peregrine falcon- Undisclosed site
Red kite- Cherry Hinton
Sparrowhawk- Pinehurst
Tawny owl- Jesus college
Iberian shrike- Salinas de Santa Pola
Hoopoe- Fulla Roja
Marbled teal- El Clot de Galvany
Bee-eater- El Clot
Night heron- El Clot
Black winged stilt- El Clot
Glossy ibis- El Clot
Flamingo- El Clot
Little egret- El Clot
Cranes- Alicante
Flamingo- Salinas de Santa Pola
Cranes- Torrevieja
Sparrowhawk- Cambridge
Sparrowhawk- Thetford forest
Goshawk- Lakenheath Warren
Iberian green woodpecker- El Clot
Hoopoe- El Clot
Juvenile flamingo- El Clot
Marbled teal- El Clot
Booted eagle- El Clot
Kestrel- El Clot
Marsh harrier- El Clot
Little bittern- El Clot
Kingfisher- El Clot
Kestrel- Sierras

I have to agree despite the virus I still had a great year Birding mainly at my local patch. Seeing my first Hoopoe in Portugal in February was awesome but back home I enjoyed watching Swallows, Swifts, Heron, a young Great Spotted Woodpecker & Stock Dove I n the garden. I was also thrilled that Goldfinch & Greenfinch became regulars to the garden it had been years since I last saw a Greenfinch. I could be here for ages but I really did have a good year though I missed my touring around different places.

I have to agree despite the virus I still had a great year Birding mainly at my local patch. Seeing my first Hoopoe in Portugal in February was awesome but back home I enjoyed watching Swallows, Swifts, Heron, a young Great Spotted Woodpecker & Stock Dove I n the garden. I was also thrilled that Goldfinch & Greenfinch became regulars to the garden it had been years since I last saw a Greenfinch. I could be here for ages but I really did have a good year though I missed my touring around different places.
Excellent! Sounds lovely. Hoopoes are something though. Though their hyperactivity is nothing to goldcrests

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back