• BirdForum is the net's largest birding community dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE!

Register for an account to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Birds of Argentina (3 Viewers)

Andy Adcock

England
Assuming this refers to me. I'll have to wait till February to be able to judge this. Had ordered mine after switching to the Princeton edition. The reason I switched was because Book Depository suddenly wanted a considerably higher price for my Helm copy that I already had in the shopping basket. Though later on, they reverted to the lower price. But by then I had already placed my order.
I think this has been mentioned before, the disparity between Helm and Princeton, I can only assume that it has something to do with UK tax law?

njlarsen

Gallery Moderator
Opus Editor
Supporter
Barbados
I think this has been mentioned before, the disparity between Helm and Princeton, I can only assume that it has something to do with UK tax law?
One general thing: prices in Europe are generally listed inclusive of VAT while prices in the US are listed exclusive of VAT. As a person who have lived in the US you just get used to not believing the price in stores but add between 1/6th and 1/4th.

Niels

pbjosh

missing the neotropics
Switzerland
Niels, perhaps I'm misunderstanding you, but sales tax (US version of VAT, ranges from 0% to almost 10% depending on location... Or is your reference to adding 1/6-1/4 a reference to paying US sales tax and then EU VAT on top of that on import or something? Certainly when you purchase an item in the US for delivery in the US, sales tax will add ~9,5% at the most.

Andy Adcock

England
One general thing: prices in Europe are generally listed inclusive of VAT while prices in the US are listed exclusive of VAT. As a person who have lived in the US you just get used to not believing the price in stores but add between 1/6th and 1/4th.

Niels
Someone mentioned recently thought that tax on books in the UK is 0% so my theory is wrong anyway.

njlarsen

Gallery Moderator
Opus Editor
Supporter
Barbados
@pbjosh: When shopping in a real shop I frequently saw more than the 9.5% added, probably for state plus local sales taxes. I cannot remember how much was added for sales tax on online purchases.

Now that I live in Barbados, the percentages added for shipping and import taxes on online purchases are much higher than that. But it means I can purchase some things not available locally.

Niels

pbjosh

missing the neotropics
Switzerland
Niels, I'm not sure why that would be. I am pretty confident (and some quick googling / wikipedia reading seems to confirm) that combined state + municipal tax rates max at about 10% (a few cities in CA at 10,25% according to one source - the highest statewide tax rates being around 9,5% in some states, but still locally a touch higher).

I personally think the EU fixed VAT system with VAT always included in published price is far easier to understand / anticipate. Argentina has a very similar system except that for just about anything you can imagine aside from new autos, you can pay cash and get a discount shockingly similar to what the VAT would have been...

DMW

Niels, I'm not sure why that would be. I am pretty confident (and some quick googling / wikipedia reading seems to confirm) that combined state + municipal tax rates max at about 10% (a few cities in CA at 10,25% according to one source - the highest statewide tax rates being around 9,5% in some states, but still locally a touch higher).

I personally think the EU fixed VAT system with VAT always included in published price is far easier to understand / anticipate. Argentina has a very similar system except that for just about anything you can imagine aside from new autos, you can pay cash and get a discount shockingly similar to what the VAT would have been...
I'd rather have a system where 10% is added in taxes, than one where 20% or more is added ;)
Fortunately, books are indeed zero rated in the UK, and I don't believe customs duties would be chargeable either... so no taxes at all.

Andy Adcock

England
I'd rather have a system where 10% is added in taxes, than one where 20% or more is added ;)
Fortunately, books are indeed zero rated in the UK, and I don't believe customs duties would be chargeable either... so no taxes at all.
So in regard to the previous query, why would the Princeton edition be cheaper than Helm if the UK has no taxex?

Swissboy

Sempach, Switzerland
Supporter
Switzerland
I was surprised that Alan Harris did not mention his collaboration as illustrator on this work on his website. Or are there two bird artists named Alan Harris?

Maybe he wanted to first see the book actually being published, after this rather unbelievably long gestation period. I have now ordered the book too, there was no rush as I am waiting for the cheaper Princeton version. So I'm very much looking forward to some more of Harris's plates.

Thanks for the link to his website. Alan Harris is one of my favorites when it comes to book plates, but it's been quite some time since I checked his website. I may have mentioned that I have several of his originals. So I was rather surprised to see how many of them are still for sale. But then, unless you have space to exhibit them on a wall, it's of limited use if you're not an extreme collector. And if you are, you might not want to display them for fear of them fading.

Andy Adcock

England
Maybe he wanted to first see the book actually being published, after this rather unbelievably long gestation period. I have now ordered the book too, there was no rush as I am waiting for the cheaper Princeton version. So I'm very much looking forward to some more of Harris's plates.

Thanks for the link to his website. Alan Harris is one of my favorites when it comes to book plates, but it's been quite some time since I checked his website. I may have mentioned that I have several of his originals. So I was rather surprised to see how many of them are still for sale. But then, unless you have space to exhibit them on a wall, it's of limited use if you're not an extreme collector. And if you are, you might not want to display them for fear of them fading.
Some are very small e.g 8x10cm, I really like the Black Baza but that size is pretty useless unless you have a lot more of them?

Swissboy

Sempach, Switzerland
Supporter
Switzerland
Some are very small e.g 8x10cm, I really like the Black Baza but that size is pretty useless unless you have a lot more of them?

I had not realized the small size in those cases. The ones I have are considerably larger. They are from the Finches and Sparrows book (1) and from Birds of the Western Palearctic (4).

Melanie

I think the most current entry in this book might be Penelope bridgesi (Yungas guan) which was split from the Dusky-legged Guan in 2020. And the Ibera seedeater is only listed as Sporophila sp.

Last edited:

Swissboy

Sempach, Switzerland
Supporter
Switzerland
I think the most current entry in this book might be Penelope bridgesi (Yungas guan) which was split from the Dusky-legged Guan in 2020. And the Ibera seedeater is only listed as Sporophila sp.
So, despite the much delayed publication, it seems that we are at least benefitting from very much updated info.

Users who are viewing this thread