• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Birds of Argentina (1 Viewer)

Does anybody has any news about this book? As per NHBS same is due for Jan 2015.
A few days ago, I received the Bloomsbury Natural History Books 2015 catalogue. Sadly, there's absolutely no mention of Birds of Argentina as a forthcoming title...

Last edited:
Out of curiosity, I checked Amazon.com to see whether there will be an American version as I think had originally been intended. So far, nothing there. However, I found my joke review of the one-volume book that I had posted there in 2010: http://www.amazon.com/Birds-Argenti...s/140810699X/ref=dpx_acr_txt?showViewpoints=1

So no editing had taken place, instead, it's still running under the 2010 Helm version. And on the same page one also finds an offer for a used hardcover version of this 2010 book at a bit over $340.

August 2017?

Does anybody has any news about this book? As per NHBS same is due for Jan 2015.

Meanwhile, NHBS does not give a date any more, but still has the book marked as "coming soon".

However, Wildsounds now lists a publication date of 8 August 2017!!!

What a shame about all the efforts that have already gone into this. By the time it comes out it will already be outdated, or else seemingly necessary updates will keep the book from ever getting published. :-C

I'd rather we'd get the book with whatever range maps there are at this point. The remainder could be work for a future edition.

By the time it comes out it will already be outdated, or else seemingly necessary updates will keep the book from ever getting published. :-C

I spoke to the lead author about this last month (there are now two authors; Nacho Areta having joined Mark Pearman). Still no date for submission of the manuscript, and the plates are being updated. But there should be no concern that it will be outdated; it is constantly being updated with new information (inc species recently described for science!) and will still be brilliant when it eventually emerges.

James

Still no date for submission of the manuscript, and the plates are being updated.
I wonder whether Ridgely & Tudor 2009 (Birds of South America: Passerines) might have been a slight 'spanner in the works'. On tour in Argentina in 2009, I recall Mark eagerly examining the plates in my hot-off-the-press copy. Until that point, Narosky & Yzurieta had been the (quite easily challenged!) local benchmark, and was evidently comprehensively outclassed by the manuscript of Mark's forthcoming guide. But perhaps the publication of the R&T guide led to a re-evaluation of the plates to ensure that all would definitely be the most accurate available for Argentinian species...?

Last edited:
NHBS shows now due in Jul 2016 and ready to preorder.
Let's hope that's true!

But it's not even mentioned in Bloomsbury's Natural History 2016 catalogue (which includes forthcoming titles due for publication up to Aug 2016), nor on the Bloomsbury website.

WildSounds: "Available from 8 August 2017. In preparation. Publication date to be confirmed."

Last edited:
Publication seems to be just around the corner now (?) - 31 August 2017 at a price of 53 GBP for both volumes at bookdepository here .

Another 'false alarm' ?

Jens

8th Aug 18 on my suppliers website

NHBS are non committal stating it's history of missed deadlines.

Really looking forward to this if I ever get my hands on it!

A

Last edited:
I placed a pre-publication order for this from Bookdepository on 24 September 2009, expecting it to be published shortly after this! Admittedly at €27.88 pre-paid it was a good price. But I did not expect to be waiting almost 8 years and counting.:-C

Aidan

I placed a pre-publication order for this from Bookdepository on 24 September 2009, expecting it to be published shortly after this! Admittedly at €27.88 pre-paid it was a good price. But I did not expect to be waiting almost 8 years and counting.:-C

Aidan

Hi Aidan,
are they honouring that price?

Andy

They better be. I've waited long enough and could have invested that money:-O
My account with them still lists it as an open order for the book at the price I paid in 2009...

Publication seems to be just around the corner now (?) - 31 August 2017 at a price of 53 GBP for both volumes at bookdepository here .

Another 'false alarm' ?

Jens

I've looked and looked and cannot see anywhere else, an indication that this is anywhere near ready for an Aug release?

A

I think the Argentina book exceeds even the couple of theoretical Brazil books in unicorn status... I imagine it should be splendid if it ever exists, though some parts of it and perhaps plates will already be 15+ yrs old by publishing date!

You would think Lynx could bash something out themselves for Argentina in a year or so, using their HBW plates.

cheers, alan

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back