• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Birds of Argentina (1 Viewer)

It means absolutely the same thing. The difference reflects where different publishers actually print their books. Currently, many Helm/Bloomsbury titles are printed in India, with the vast majority of the stock being shipped by sea to the UK for onward distribution. Lynx titles are printed in the same city as the publisher itself is based, Barcelona, and therefore available for much more immediate dispatch.

It means absolutely the same thing. The difference reflects where different publishers actually print their books. Currently, many Helm/Bloomsbury titles are printed in India, with the vast majority of the stock being shipped by sea to the UK for onward distribution. Lynx titles are printed in the same city as the publisher itself is based, Barcelona, and therefore available for much more immediate dispatch.

Had a quick look at a few Helm title printing sites, Peru was done in Italy, Chile in Singapore, Venezuela, Ecuador, Belize and Costa Rica in China.

I haven't, obviously, checked them all but most 'were' printed in China, the couple I found that were printed in India were Bhutan and E Himalayas and the N / S Indian guides.

Last edited:

Okay, thanks. That makes sense

This seems like a pretty dangerous book. I feel like I will buy it, discover that there is a surprising number of species in Argentina I haven't seen yet, catch the "ticking fever" and go there for the 16th time ... if that is ever possible.

Excellent news Jim, thank you for sharing.

Is the projected availability date still November?

Hello, the pub date is 10 December. The perfect Christmas treat.

Twenty-five years in the making, and available in both hardback and paperback editions. You can pre-order a copy here:

https://www.bloomsbury.com/uk/field...ina-and-the-southwest-atlantic-9781472984326/

Presently, my problem is that I do not recall whether I have already ordered this book years ago, and if yes, where! :-C

There is a choice of hardback and soft cover options.

Extravagant I know but where there's an option like this, I'll ususally get one of each. Softcover for the field and I keep the hardcover as a pristine, stay at home reference.

The book still seems a long way off in December, when you know that people already have one!

Well if it makes you feel any better I’m one of the artists and haven’t seen a copy. So don’t think that many people have got hold of one.

Got mine now and they're on another planet compared to what was previously available. We may now, even have a fighting chance of ID'ing some species, without resort to range!

Got my (paperback) copy today too. First impressions from a quick flick through very positive. Plates look excellent, not too crowded, text and map opposite plate are the optimum format for me, and overall size just right.

Got my (paperback) copy today too. First impressions from a quick flick through very positive. Plates look excellent, not too crowded, text and map opposite plate are the optimum format for me, and overall size just right.
And Robert will be pleased with the index format (y)

In relation to taxonomy and speciation, I noticed a line in the new Argentina guide which I liked, in the opening pages they stated something like 'we avoided more field guide taxonomy' that is to say they avoided the recent trend of field guide authors, in implementing their own ideologies as to what they think 'should' be split.

Last edited:
In relation to taxonomy and speciation, I noticed a line in the new Argentina guide which I liked, in the opening pages they stated something like 'we avoided more field guide taxonomy' that is to say they avoided the recent trend of field guide authors, in implementing their own ideologies as to what they think 'should' be split.

And Robert will be pleased with the index format (y)

Assuming this refers to me. I'll have to wait till February to be able to judge this. Had ordered mine after switching to the Princeton edition. The reason I switched was because Book Depository suddenly wanted a considerably higher price for my Helm copy that I already had in the shopping basket. Though later on, they reverted to the lower price. But by then I had already placed my order.

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back