• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Birds of Argentina (1 Viewer)

Assuming this refers to me. I'll have to wait till February to be able to judge this. Had ordered mine after switching to the Princeton edition. The reason I switched was because Book Depository suddenly wanted a considerably higher price for my Helm copy that I already had in the shopping basket. Though later on, they reverted to the lower price. But by then I had already placed my order.
I think this has been mentioned before, the disparity between Helm and Princeton, I can only assume that it has something to do with UK tax law?

I think this has been mentioned before, the disparity between Helm and Princeton, I can only assume that it has something to do with UK tax law?
One general thing: prices in Europe are generally listed inclusive of VAT while prices in the US are listed exclusive of VAT. As a person who have lived in the US you just get used to not believing the price in stores but add between 1/6th and 1/4th.

Niels

Niels, perhaps I'm misunderstanding you, but sales tax (US version of VAT, ranges from 0% to almost 10% depending on location... Or is your reference to adding 1/6-1/4 a reference to paying US sales tax and then EU VAT on top of that on import or something? Certainly when you purchase an item in the US for delivery in the US, sales tax will add ~9,5% at the most.

One general thing: prices in Europe are generally listed inclusive of VAT while prices in the US are listed exclusive of VAT. As a person who have lived in the US you just get used to not believing the price in stores but add between 1/6th and 1/4th.

Niels
Someone mentioned recently thought that tax on books in the UK is 0% so my theory is wrong anyway.

@pbjosh: When shopping in a real shop I frequently saw more than the 9.5% added, probably for state plus local sales taxes. I cannot remember how much was added for sales tax on online purchases.

Now that I live in Barbados, the percentages added for shipping and import taxes on online purchases are much higher than that. But it means I can purchase some things not available locally.

Niels

Niels, I'm not sure why that would be. I am pretty confident (and some quick googling / wikipedia reading seems to confirm) that combined state + municipal tax rates max at about 10% (a few cities in CA at 10,25% according to one source - the highest statewide tax rates being around 9,5% in some states, but still locally a touch higher).

I personally think the EU fixed VAT system with VAT always included in published price is far easier to understand / anticipate. Argentina has a very similar system except that for just about anything you can imagine aside from new autos, you can pay cash and get a discount shockingly similar to what the VAT would have been...

Niels, I'm not sure why that would be. I am pretty confident (and some quick googling / wikipedia reading seems to confirm) that combined state + municipal tax rates max at about 10% (a few cities in CA at 10,25% according to one source - the highest statewide tax rates being around 9,5% in some states, but still locally a touch higher).

I personally think the EU fixed VAT system with VAT always included in published price is far easier to understand / anticipate. Argentina has a very similar system except that for just about anything you can imagine aside from new autos, you can pay cash and get a discount shockingly similar to what the VAT would have been...
I'd rather have a system where 10% is added in taxes, than one where 20% or more is added ;)
Fortunately, books are indeed zero rated in the UK, and I don't believe customs duties would be chargeable either... so no taxes at all.

I'd rather have a system where 10% is added in taxes, than one where 20% or more is added ;)
Fortunately, books are indeed zero rated in the UK, and I don't believe customs duties would be chargeable either... so no taxes at all.
So in regard to the previous query, why would the Princeton edition be cheaper than Helm if the UK has no taxex?

I was surprised that Alan Harris did not mention his collaboration as illustrator on this work on his website. Or are there two bird artists named Alan Harris?

Maybe he wanted to first see the book actually being published, after this rather unbelievably long gestation period. I have now ordered the book too, there was no rush as I am waiting for the cheaper Princeton version. So I'm very much looking forward to some more of Harris's plates.

Thanks for the link to his website. Alan Harris is one of my favorites when it comes to book plates, but it's been quite some time since I checked his website. I may have mentioned that I have several of his originals. So I was rather surprised to see how many of them are still for sale. But then, unless you have space to exhibit them on a wall, it's of limited use if you're not an extreme collector. And if you are, you might not want to display them for fear of them fading.

Maybe he wanted to first see the book actually being published, after this rather unbelievably long gestation period. I have now ordered the book too, there was no rush as I am waiting for the cheaper Princeton version. So I'm very much looking forward to some more of Harris's plates.

Thanks for the link to his website. Alan Harris is one of my favorites when it comes to book plates, but it's been quite some time since I checked his website. I may have mentioned that I have several of his originals. So I was rather surprised to see how many of them are still for sale. But then, unless you have space to exhibit them on a wall, it's of limited use if you're not an extreme collector. And if you are, you might not want to display them for fear of them fading.
Some are very small e.g 8x10cm, I really like the Black Baza but that size is pretty useless unless you have a lot more of them?

Some are very small e.g 8x10cm, I really like the Black Baza but that size is pretty useless unless you have a lot more of them?

I had not realized the small size in those cases. The ones I have are considerably larger. They are from the Finches and Sparrows book (1) and from Birds of the Western Palearctic (4).

I think the most current entry in this book might be Penelope bridgesi (Yungas guan) which was split from the Dusky-legged Guan in 2020. And the Ibera seedeater is only listed as Sporophila sp.

Last edited:
I think the most current entry in this book might be Penelope bridgesi (Yungas guan) which was split from the Dusky-legged Guan in 2020. And the Ibera seedeater is only listed as Sporophila sp.
So, despite the much delayed publication, it seems that we are at least benefitting from very much updated info.

Finally received my (Princeton) copy as well. Actually even two, as Book Depository had apparently recorded my original order despite providing a notice that they were unable to deliver to Switzerland (due to Brexit and Corona, as became clear later on). At the time, they had made it sound as if I might as well look somewhere else. Well, my brother, also a birder, will gladly take it, particularly at the low price. :)

Oh, actually, all this is just peanuts anyway, considering what a truly great and welcome book this is! (y) I'm really elated. I would not dare to say it 's been well worth the wait, though. For this, the delay was way too substantial. But at least, the book is now at such a high level that it could easily serve as its own second edition. And I'm sure we'd all buy it again if we had been served with an earlier less perfect version a decade or so ago. ;)

This is a heavy book for its size, no wonder though, as it comes with 480 pages. The paperback version weighs just under 850 grams. But the publishers managed to keep its dimensions in convenient FG size, neatly fitting in with the other recent FGs in this series.

Just a few initial comments. Andy (post #98) was right, I VERY much like the index format. None of that stupid Lynx cheapo version. Here, one finds species in a user friendly way. Only the native speakers are left out. Though the species come with an Argentine Spanish name at the end of each text entry. A very highly commendable feature! There are four illustrators, but nevertheless, the book comes as a fine unit in plate styles. What a difference in illustrations to what was available before.

Some plates may look a bit crowded, but that comes with the goal of having many different illustrations and yet facilitating comparisons by having similar species together. A typical example being all the steamer ducks on the same spread. Other user-friendly features are to have "unrelated" groups placed together (an original "Peterson" feature). Thus falcons come together with the other raptors instead of using inconvenient "modern" (or should I say "fashionable") systematics. Another example that struck me right away, the boobies (sulids) are placed with the large skuas, both groups that one might encounter as far out passing by.

Distribution maps come in (according to the text on p.36) ten basic templates to allow for more detailed mapping. This, too, is a most welcome feature. And there is a quite fine detailing with color codes on these maps as well, with the codes repeated conveniently on the last page! Truly user friendly, again. There are several additions to the main plates, such as plates of Furnariid nests and of Icterid nests. Several introduced species are also relegated to the back as an appendix. There is even a listing of the illustrated plants (!), to just name some of the extras.

Thus, this is such a great book that I hope other country FGs will come patterned along similar lines. So far, the only feature that I found missing is a Quick-Find listing. But that is something one can easily do oneself if one wishes so. I'll definitely do one for myself, and it will be listed here on BF for others to download as I have done before.

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back