• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Birds of Bolivia (1 Viewer)

I've e-mailed to order but so far had nothing back, has anyone else outside of Bolivia heard anything back?

A

You can contact Sebastian Herzog at the Birds of Bolivia page at Facebook. But it could be that currently only orders from Bolivia are fulfilled. But I think it might be good to ask Mr. Herzog how and when you can order this book.

You can contact Sebastian Herzog at the Birds of Bolivia page at Facebook. But it could be that currently only orders from Bolivia are fulfilled. But I think it might be good to ask Mr. Herzog how and when you can order this book.

I mailed them as instructed Melanie.

'We received the first delivery of copies from the printers only a few days ago. Thus, for the time being, availability is restricted to Bolivia. However, we send individual copies to North America, Europe, South and Central America by registered mail (shipping costs added). You can pay by PayPal.'

Andy

I mailed them as instructed Melanie.

'We received the first delivery of copies from the printers only a few days ago. Thus, for the time being, availability is restricted to Bolivia. However, we send individual copies to North America, Europe, South and Central America by registered mail (shipping costs added). You can pay by PayPal.'

Andy

I have done like you, also waiting for a reply. Maybe they are swamped with requests?

They have a big name (Van Remsen) in the author team, so I think that it will quickly come to a second edition that will be available internationally.

Last edited:
Anyone outside Bolivia had a reply?

Andy

Not a word, and no reaction on Facebook either. However, they did explain there why there are no dealer sales: simply not enough revenue for them if they use those channels. And Amazon must particularly push down the prices. Plus, the print run is too small for such extra selling paths. And too much paper work for an NGO, apparently. But the sale on an individual base to customers abroad has not been questioned as far as I saw it. Facebook is such a endless source that one has to stop pursuing topics after a while. :-C

........simply not enough revenue for them if they use those channels. .........................

They do write about a second printing/edition that will then be available in foreign stores such as NHBS. I presume the price will then be correspondingly higher to allow for this.

Jose Antonio Balderrama Torrico, one of the principle ornithologists in Bolivia, spoke at the Nuttall Ornithology Club in Cambridge, MA on Nov. 7, 2016, and at the end of his talk held up a copy of the guide. He had only 2 copies, and they were both spoken for, but there was talk that Buteo Books in the US was going to try and carry it. My guess is that the many investors in the project were essentially funding a first print run, which is generally only several hundred copies. I would hope that interest in the book might fund a second print run, but I am speculating. I wonder how many English copies need to be sold to fund a Spanish edition.

David Swain
Massachusetts, USA

Sebastian Herzog presented some plates at facebook group "Birds of Bolivia - Aves de Bolivia"

Sebastian Herzog presented some plates at facebook group "Birds of Bolivia - Aves de Bolivia"

A link would be nice

https://www.facebook.com/groups/302400739840008/photos/

Here is an interesting reply on the shipping costs by Sebastian Herzog

Inside views posted this morning. Postage costs (registered mail) to Europe is outrageous. For a single copy it is 46 Euros, for 2 copies 60 Euros. Working on other options, including exporting a bulk shipment to a distributor.

Hopefully they can work something out concerning shipping to Europe. From the sample pages it looks like an outstanding book!

I like those plates and the fact that I can now get a much better impression about the book. Looks like a very great job they did! :t::t:

Warning! This thread is more than 1 year ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back